Commercial Photography Techniques

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 29 Sep 2004 (Wednesday) 09:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Myke
Joined Aug 2004
24 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi there,

I'm just an ammateur and would like to get started with commercial shoots, I'd appreciate it if you can post some tips on this matter. I learned photography the hardway, trial and error. :) Though on this matter, I'd rather talk to people that knows their stuff.

Thanks so much! :D

Post #1, Sep 29, 2004 09:59:50

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,184 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, what in particular do you want to do? Commercial (product)? Fashion? Weddings? Portraiture? Stock/fine art? Photojournalism? Or are you looking for tips on starting the business? In any case, you'll need to be somewhat more specific than you have been.

Post #2, Sep 29, 2004 13:18:52

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sGu
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
2,367 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

there is NO such a thing as commercial techniques as you imagined.

photography is all about light and how to use light, regardless in which category you are taking on, either use available light or create your own lighting set up.

When it comes to commercial photography, creativity is the key. You must have an unusual eye and creative thinking to make it in this business. And ask yourself, why should clients go with your ideas and work rather than others?

If you are looking for shortcut, sorry mate, i doubt there is any, buy some books on lighting techniques and experiement with the set up and effects, also try get a job as commercial photographer's assistant, those two are probably the quickest and most efficient way to learn.

Post #3, Sep 29, 2004 13:38:05

Portfolioexternal link | Musingexternal link
Advertising & Editorial Photographer

David_Hughes
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2004
16 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi SGU - Just wanted to thank you for your feedback on many of the issues that are being raised. I hope the problems you experienced with my website have been fixed now, your feedback is appreciated. It appears you have landed on your feet with the opportunities at MUFC - can I ask how you managed to get involved in this ... I would have thought getting access to Old Trafford would be difficult at the best of times !???? . Rgds David

Post #4, Sep 29, 2004 14:21:54

Myke
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Aug 2004
24 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon & sGu,

Thanks for the responses.

When it comes to commercial photography, creativity is the key. You must have an unusual eye and creative thinking to make it in this business. And ask yourself, why should clients go with your ideas and work rather than others?

I think this is what my questions was really.

I guess, I have to see things in a more "queer" way when doing some product shots. I guess I wanted to know what the photographer thinks when he/she does shoots for magazines. (I have some creatives people friends that think out of this world stuff :D) I mean, who would've thought that by stacking 3 shoes of different colors but same style would come out attracting women to buying the shoes? I guess it could be the art director's idea. :wink:

Anyways, thanks again. I really appreciate it.

Post #5, Sep 30, 2004 09:25:51

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,342 views & 0 likes for this thread
Commercial Photography Techniques
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES