Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of August 2002 (Thu)   #1
Larjava

Default Longer USB-cable for S40

Hi,

Has anyone used a 5 meter long USB-cable succesfully with S40/S30?

I've browsed the net about this and i haven't figured out what is the maximum length of USB-cable.
Some pages say it is 3 meters and others 5 meters (without hubs).

The original USB-cable is too short for remote capturing with a non-portable computer.

TIA,

Larjava
Larjava is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of August 2002 (Fri)   #2
brutal

Default Re: Longer USB-cable for S40

these guys have 5 meter - 15 foot extension cables

http://www.trianglecables.com/unserbuscabu1.html
brutal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of August 2002 (Fri)   #3
Rustle

5m is the max cord length. More than that, and you need a hub so that you don't get too much signal noise.

http://www.usb.org/faq/ans5.html#q2

This is going to cause you a problem. You'll have to attach the Canon USB cable to a hub, then to an extension, then to your computer. If you try to add a full 5m extension cable without the hub, you'll have a total cable length that is much more than 5m.

I'm curious, though, as to why you need to set up your camera five metres away from your computer. Isn't that beyond the point where you'd just disconnect the camera and use the shutter? There aren't any advantages to Remote Capture that I'm aware of, aside from direct download to the computer.

Russ
Rustle is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of August 2002 (Fri)   #4
Inactive member 38

I wonder if Canon could make a shutter release that would connect through the usb port. That'd be nice
Inactive member 38 is offline   Reply With Quote