Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30th of January 2008 (Wed)   #1
BiikeMike

Default Panoramic Head?

I am in search of a good panoramic head that is not too expensive. It has to be stable while supporting my 30D+Battery grip and 10-17 or 17-40L. I also am looking for something with detent rings, and that will let me do multiple row panos.

I have looked at the Nodal Ninja 3, but I don't know if it will support my setup. It says it will not support 1D's or D2X, so I figure my camera with battery grip is about the same size and weight as a 1D.

Anyone have any experience or suggestions?

And I am also not looking to build my own.

Thanks!
30D w/Grip; 10Dw/Grip; 70-200 f/4 L; 17-40 f/4 L; Canon 50mm 1.8 II,; Tokina 10-17 f/3.5-4.5; 580EX, 430EX. lotsa' memory, lotsa' batteries. Macbook Pro 2.16 15" w/2 gigs RAM. Mac Pro 2.66 Quad w/5 gigs RAM. Adobe CS3/Lightroom
BiikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of January 2008 (Wed)   #2
TXLEBER

Default Re: Panoramic Head?

I've used the Bogen 303 and 303+. They are solid. I've used it with 30d/grip and 10-22 with no problems at all. I'm not sure what the detent rings do. I used mine mostly for real estate photography. Hit up user Jdizzle. He might sell his to you.
TXLEBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2008 (Wed)   #3
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Suggestion from the peanut gallery:

Even the best fitting grips allows for at least some wobble so for really rock solid panos, remove the grip and mount the camera without it. JMO, but it also makes the camera less bulky if you want to turn it to portrait and shoot tall pano frames instead of wide.
Old 31st of January 2008 (Thu)   #4
BiikeMike

The 303 is pretty huge, and i've read that it shows up in some fisheye panoramic shots.

I have thought about taking the grip off to make it more solid, and then I could use the Nodal Ninja, which is a good price and a good product, but I eventually want to get a 1DMKIIN when prices come down a bit more. I guess by that point, if this takes off as a business venture, I'd need to get a second head anyway.
30D w/Grip; 10Dw/Grip; 70-200 f/4 L; 17-40 f/4 L; Canon 50mm 1.8 II,; Tokina 10-17 f/3.5-4.5; 580EX, 430EX. lotsa' memory, lotsa' batteries. Macbook Pro 2.16 15" w/2 gigs RAM. Mac Pro 2.66 Quad w/5 gigs RAM. Adobe CS3/Lightroom
Old 31st of January 2008 (Thu)   #5
TXLEBER

I've never used a fisheye. I had my 10-2 set at 14mm, (I think) when doing 360 panos for indoor panos. Never had a problem.
Old 31st of January 2008 (Thu)   #6
TXLEBER

Here's a link for a listing I did. It was a WHILE ago. I think this was my first tour.

http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/De...aspx?ID=351516
Old 31st of January 2008 (Thu)   #7
BiikeMike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXLEBER View Post
Here's a link for a listing I did. It was a WHILE ago. I think this was my first tour.

http://www.obeo.com/Public/Viewer/De...aspx?ID=351516
The cheesy music is a nice touch

Do you do any full 360x180 tours?
Old 31st of January 2008 (Thu)   #8
TXLEBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiikeMike View Post
The cheesy music is a nice touch

Do you do any full 360x180 tours?
Never did a 360x180...guess that's what you meant by multiple row panos??

I worked with a company called Obeo. They are a marketing solution company for real estate agents. They provided the leads and I just shot the houses. My schedule didn't allow me to do too much side shooting so I'm not doing this type of work any more.

BTW..Obeo provided the cheesy music.
Old 1st of February 2008 (Fri)   #9
Alan Neilson

I have a nodal ninja 3 that I use with my 5D and works great, not used with my grip on so don't know it it would work but not going to try anyway. But like as been said use with out the grip on. If you do want to use with the grip on the camera then you will need to be looking at one of the manfroto or similar models that are bigger and a lot more expensive.

It is a good panohead at a resonable price, then if the business end does take of for you and you do get the D1 then you can look into getting a more subtainal mount for the camera. If if doesn't then you still got a good panoramic heas to use.