Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #1
BitterSweet

Default Places In Hampton Roads/Norfolk

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this at but I'll give it a try.

Me and my husband are wondering if there are any good areas to take pictures at in Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake or Norfolk. Either for good landscape shots or for portraits. My husband likes landscapes and I'm trying to build up my portrait portfolio so either kind of place is fine.

Some places we have been too is Maymont in Richmond, Norfolk botanical garden, we've tried to take the norfolk skyline too.

Thank you.

www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.com

Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem.com/bittersweetphotography
BitterSweet is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #2
Chris Dana

Default Re: Places In Hampton Roads/Norfolk

Try to get to Fort Story and the (two) Cape Henry Lighthouses.

Also the oceanfront of Virginia Beach can provide some interesting shots, anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay, Back Bay, and Seashore State Park is a good place, too.
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #3
BitterSweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dana View Post
Try to get to Fort Story and the (two) Cape Henry Lighthouses.

Also the oceanfront of Virginia Beach can provide some interesting shots, anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay, Back Bay, and Seashore State Park is a good place, too.
Thanks. I didn't even think about lighthouses or didn't know about back bay or seashore state park (i've been here for almost 3 years and still don't know much lol). I've been to Virginia Beach oceanfront I think and that was very crowed plus I don't understand all the rules there.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #4
Chris Dana

For the oceanfront, this time of year it should be pretty deserted and I don't think there are any strict rules about photographing buildings.

Seashore (it appears they've changed the name to First Landing State Park) is a great place to walk through and towards the end of the main trail, it dumps out into Broad bay. Lots of good opportunities back there (I used to ride my bike through there all the time when I was in High School). Also the old Cavalier Hotel is a good place to shoot, I'd think.

Don't forget about Jamestown and the Battlefields in Yorktown.
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #5
BitterSweet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Dana View Post
For the oceanfront, this time of year it should be pretty deserted and I don't think there are any strict rules about photographing buildings.

Seashore (it appears they've changed the name to First Landing State Park) is a great place to walk through and towards the end of the main trail, it dumps out into Broad bay. Lots of good opportunities back there (I used to ride my bike through there all the time when I was in High School). Also the old Cavalier Hotel is a good place to shoot, I'd think.

Don't forget about Jamestown and the Battlefields in Yorktown.
Oh no it's not the rule about photography at the oceanfront it's other rule they have there such as no swearing (which I'm fine with of course but they actually give you a ticket if it slips) things like that.

OH ok I was wondering why I kept getting first landing when I looked seashore up (I was getting delaware too).

Yeah jamestown and the battlefield are ok but I guess I'm not into that type lol. I know I need to go to Skyline drive though.

Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #6
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post

Just for trivia, Chesapeake, Norfolk and Virginia Beach are part of Hampton Roads

Some good locations (you already have the Botanical Gradens and some other listed above)
- Ferguson Center for the Performing Arts (Christopher Newport University )
- The boat docks near the Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton
- Huntington Park and Beach
- Mariner's Museum Park (on the James River Side )
- There is a Chinese Pavilion near Nauticus and the Wisconsin that offers some nice shots.
- The area around the Chrysler Museum
- On certain days if the weather is just right, the end of Wilby Spit just before the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (South Side) { too often smog messes it up. }
- I can't remember the name, but there is a nature reserve/park, just south of the James River Bridge.
- Some nice spots along the James River off Colonial drive between Yorktown and JamesTown Settlement.
- The Newport News, City center is also kind of nice to shoot around, would be better but often too crowded.
- And I have gotten some good shots at most of the larger parks in th area.

Just my experience,
http://www.longwatcher.com/photoequipment.htm
Longwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #7
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitterSweet View Post
Oh no it's not the rule about photography at the oceanfront it's other rule they have there such as no swearing (which I'm fine with of course but they actually give you a ticket if it slips) things like that.
The following is some what of a joke:
Just remember that the mayor of Virginia Beach is a Prude and a Fascist and it should be a lot easier to remember the rules there.

And Violent crime has gone up in VaBch since they enacted that no swearing ordinance
- go figure.
http://www.longwatcher.com/photoequipment.htm
Longwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #8
JS4KIKZ

Willoughby Spit is a good place to go during sundown. Also, park at Ships Cabin and walk onto the beach behind it and you'll see some rocks about 35yards out in the water that you can actually walk to (knee deep water if you're 5' 7 tall). Looks like Jamestown was mentioned above and the will probably be the next place that I will visit.
JS4KIKZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of February 2008 (Sat)   #9
Rachel B
I normally pay attention

Yep yourktown beach is good too, but go when its warmer, I was out there the other night in freezing temps!

Rachel B is offline   Reply With Quote