Thread started 02 Feb 2008 (Saturday) 10:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

BitterSweet
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 posts
Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm not sure if this is the right area to post this at but I'll give it a try.

Me and my husband are wondering if there are any good areas to take pictures at in Hampton Roads, Virginia Beach, Chesapeake or Norfolk. Either for good landscape shots or for portraits. My husband likes landscapes and I'm trying to build up my portrait portfolio so either kind of place is fine.

Some places we have been too is Maymont in Richmond, Norfolk botanical garden, we've tried to take the norfolk skyline too.

Thank you.

Post #1, Feb 02, 2008 10:03:19

Tracey McCloskey
www.Bitter-Sweet-Photography.comexternal link
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphyexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
1,421 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Try to get to Fort Story and the (two) Cape Henry Lighthouses.

Also the oceanfront of Virginia Beach can provide some interesting shots, anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay, Back Bay, and Seashore State Park is a good place, too.

Post #2, Feb 02, 2008 11:25:07

Chris Dana Photographyexternal link - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemyexternal link - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

BitterSweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 posts
Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris Dana wrote in post #4836484external link
Try to get to Fort Story and the (two) Cape Henry Lighthouses.

Also the oceanfront of Virginia Beach can provide some interesting shots, anywhere on the Chesapeake Bay, Back Bay, and Seashore State Park is a good place, too.

Thanks. I didn't even think about lighthouses or didn't know about back bay or seashore state park (i've been here for almost 3 years and still don't know much lol). I've been to Virginia Beach oceanfront I think and that was very crowed plus I don't understand all the rules there.

Post #3, Feb 02, 2008 11:29:14

Tracey McCloskey
Model Mayhem Link http://www.modelmayhem​.com/bittersweetphotog​raphyexternal link

Chris ­ Dana
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
1,421 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

For the oceanfront, this time of year it should be pretty deserted and I don't think there are any strict rules about photographing buildings.

Seashore (it appears they've changed the name to First Landing State Park) is a great place to walk through and towards the end of the main trail, it dumps out into Broad bay. Lots of good opportunities back there (I used to ride my bike through there all the time when I was in High School). Also the old Cavalier Hotel is a good place to shoot, I'd think.

Don't forget about Jamestown and the Battlefields in Yorktown.

Post #4, Feb 02, 2008 11:34:27

Chris Dana Photographyexternal link - Mid Michigan Family Photography
Digital Alchemyexternal link - Detroit and Mid Michigan Wedding Photography

BitterSweet
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
1,253 posts
Idaho
[MORE/SHARE]

Chris Dana wrote in post #4836529external link
For the oceanfront, this time of year it should be pretty deserted and I don't think there are any strict rules about photographing buildings.

Seashore (it appears they've changed the name to First Landing State Park) is a great place to walk through and towards the end of the main trail, it dumps out into Broad bay. Lots of good opportunities back there (I used to ride my bike through there all the time when I was in High School). Also the old Cavalier Hotel is a good place to shoot, I'd think.

Don't forget about Jamestown and the Battlefields in Yorktown.

Oh no it's not the rule about photography at the oceanfront it's other rule they have there such as no swearing (which I'm fine with of course but they actually give you a ticket if it slips) things like that.

OH ok I was wondering why I kept getting first landing when I looked seashore up (I was getting delaware too).

Yeah jamestown and the battlefield are ok but I guess I'm not into that type lol. I know I need to go to Skyline drive though.

Post #5, Feb 02, 2008 11:43:31

Tracey McCloskey

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
Joined Sep 2002
3,905 posts
Newport News, VA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Just for trivia, Chesapeake, Norfolk and Virginia Beach are part of Hampton Roads :)

Some good locations (you already have the Botanical Gradens and some other listed above)
- Ferguson Center for the Performing Arts (Christopher Newport University )
- The boat docks near the Virginia Air and Space Museum in Hampton
- Huntington Park and Beach
- Mariner's Museum Park (on the James River Side )
- There is a Chinese Pavilion near Nauticus and the Wisconsin that offers some nice shots.
- The area around the Chrysler Museum
- On certain days if the weather is just right, the end of Wilby Spit just before the Hampton Roads Bridge Tunnel (South Side) { too often smog messes it up. }
- I can't remember the name, but there is a nature reserve/park, just south of the James River Bridge.
- Some nice spots along the James River off Colonial drive between Yorktown and JamesTown Settlement.
- The Newport News, City center is also kind of nice to shoot around, would be better but often too crowded.
- And I have gotten some good shots at most of the larger parks in th area.

Just my experience,

Post #6, Feb 02, 2008 16:32:58 as a reply to BitterSweet's post 4 hours earlier.

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

Longwatcher
obsolete as of this post
Joined Sep 2002
3,905 posts
Newport News, VA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

BitterSweet wrote in post #4836563external link
Oh no it's not the rule about photography at the oceanfront it's other rule they have there such as no swearing (which I'm fine with of course but they actually give you a ticket if it slips) things like that.

The following is some what of a joke:
Just remember that the mayor of Virginia Beach is a Prude and a Fascist and it should be a lot easier to remember the rules there.

And Violent crime has gone up in VaBch since they enacted that no swearing ordinance
- go figure.

Post #7, Feb 02, 2008 16:40:06

"Save the model, Save the camera, The Photographer can be repaired"
www.longwatcher.comexternal link
1DsMkIII as primary camera with f2.8L zooms and the 85L
http://www.longwatcher​.com/photoequipment.ht​mexternal link

JS4KIKZ
Joined Nov 2005
339 posts
Norfolk, Va (USA)
[MORE/SHARE]

Willoughby Spit is a good place to go during sundown. Also, park at Ships Cabin and walk onto the beach behind it and you'll see some rocks about 35yards out in the water that you can actually walk to (knee deep water if you're 5' 7 tall). Looks like Jamestown was mentioned above and the will probably be the next place that I will visit.

Post #8, Feb 02, 2008 16:55:16

Photography in Hampton Roadsexternal link
My Blog: http://www.thenojoke.c​omexternal link
Gear Listhttp://photography-on-the.net ...?p=5017044&postcoun​t=1061

Rachel ­ B
I normally pay attention
Joined Jan 2008
1,139 posts
Germany/UK/USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep yourktown beach is good too, but go when its warmer, I was out there the other night in freezing temps!

Post #9, Feb 02, 2008 17:37:56

40d, 30d, Canon 17-40L, 70-200 2.8 ISL, 60mm 2.8, Sigma 30mm 1.4, 18-55 Kit, 430exII 2xYN-460 II Flashes

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,134 views & 0 likes for this thread
Places In Hampton Roads/Norfolk
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES