mac doesn't recognize my camera

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 03 Feb 2008 (Sunday) 09:18   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

dicky2988
Joined Dec 2006
278 posts
Somerset
[MORE/SHARE]

i've recently upgraded to a macbook and outed my dated windows desktop.

Everything was going fine, until i needed to upload some photos. I plug my camera in the same as i would have done with my desktop, but nothing happens. Is this a fault with the camera, the macbook. Or like windows do i need to install drivers to use the camera with the macbook?

any help would be greatly received.

Rich

Post #1, Feb 03, 2008 09:18:39

Canon EOS 5D Mkiii Canon 50mm F1.8 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro Canon Speedlite 430EXii

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ooo
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
1,764 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

I tried to plug in my camera once to my imac and it didn't read it either. Now I just pull out the memory card and use my card reader. Never tried it on my windows pc though.

Post #2, Feb 03, 2008 09:20:25

Pete
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
38,607 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dicky2988 wrote in post #4841829external link
i've recently upgraded to a macbook and outed my dated windows desktop.

Everything was going fine, until i needed to upload some photos. I plug my camera in the same as i would have done with my desktop, but nothing happens. Is this a fault with the camera, the macbook. Or like windows do i need to install drivers to use the camera with the macbook?

any help would be greatly received.

Rich

You'd probably need to install the Canon software. Or (easier) just get a card reader and use that instead.

Post #3, Feb 03, 2008 09:22:06

Pete
UK SE Catch of the Day

dicky2988
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2006
278 posts
Somerset
[MORE/SHARE]

okay, i will hunt out a card reader. When i used the built in card readers that my desktop had, they were much slower. Are remote card readers much quicker now? Could anyone suggest a cad reader i need? Or will any do?

Post #4, Feb 03, 2008 09:27:08

Canon EOS 5D Mkiii Canon 50mm F1.8 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 II APO EX DG Macro Canon Speedlite 430EXii

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 posts
South Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

You need to turn the camera on to transfer the files to iphoto. Works amazingly for me. When you turn the camera on, iphoto will bounce up and down, asking you if you want to delete the photos after you download them.

Post #5, Feb 03, 2008 09:28:17

sponsored links
dicky2988
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2006
278 posts
Somerset
[MORE/SHARE]

Nope i don't get that. Turn the camera on, it says busy, no reaction from the macbook at all though

Post #6, Feb 03, 2008 09:31:06

Nick ­ Pro
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2008
1,084 posts
South Jersey
[MORE/SHARE]

hmmm.....I dont know. Take it in to the apple store.

Post #7, Feb 03, 2008 09:49:02

joelcpa
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2005
15 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Check your preferences in iphoto. Under general preferences, set "Connecting Camera opens" to either iphoto or image capture. Then give it another try.

Good luck,

Joel

Post #8, Feb 03, 2008 09:58:05 as a reply to Nick Pro's post 9 minutes earlier.

Canon 40D - 24-70mm 2.8 L, 85mm 1.2 L, 70-200mm 2.8 L

dicky2988
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2006
278 posts
Somerset
[MORE/SHARE]

just got a card reader, thats all sorted okay.

But the problem now is. I think one usb port isn't working on my macbook, and i only got it two days ago!

If i plug anything in my second usb port, nothing happens at all. Any advice?

Post #9, Feb 03, 2008 10:57:58

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,752 posts
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

1. For the image capture: You need to run Image Capture, which is in your Applications folder of your hard drive, to tell your MacBook what to do when a camera is connected. This should have been defaulted to iPhoto from the factory, but it sounds as though yours has been altered in some way.

2. Plug a mouse into the working USB port to make sure it works. Then plug it into the non-working USB port. Is is still dead? If so, then try shutting down your MB and removing the battery for 10 or 15 seconds, then put it back in (unplug the computer from the AC adapter, too). If it's still not functioning, give Apple a call.

Post #10, Feb 03, 2008 21:24:13

Gear list
"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.
Zeiss 35/2 for sale.

DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2004
12,311 posts
where the buffalo roam
[MORE/SHARE]

Did you see the commercial? The mac is talking to the camera in japanese.

Hajimumashte

Post #11, Feb 03, 2008 21:31:23

National Sarcasm Society. Like we need your support.

sponsored links
dicky2988
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2006
278 posts
Somerset
[MORE/SHARE]

Tony-S wrote in post #4845457external link
1. For the image capture: You need to run Image Capture, which is in your Applications folder of your hard drive, to tell your MacBook what to do when a camera is connected. This should have been defaulted to iPhoto from the factory, but it sounds as though yours has been altered in some way.

2. Plug a mouse into the working USB port to make sure it works. Then plug it into the non-working USB port. Is is still dead? If so, then try shutting down your MB and removing the battery for 10 or 15 seconds, then put it back in (unplug the computer from the AC adapter, too). If it's still not functioning, give Apple a call.

Thankyou very much, both have worked, thankyou. Saved me having to ring aple t fix i

Thanks again, Rich

Post #12, Feb 03, 2008 23:54:48

Chepoolo
Hatchling
Joined Apr 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

so far, JOELCPA was the only user that gave me an actual good solution for this issue, the rest users in this forum just kept saying that the best way to go is a card reader but they didn't really help solving the problem.

I changed the preferences on iphoto and plugged in my camera again, turned it on and it started reading the pictures, not with the default software - Image browser - I always use for downloading pictures from my EOS Rebel XT camera to my macbook, but with this other software run by Epson, which I think it comes with the drivers of my Epson printer. BUT THIS WORKED! thanks JOELCPA

Post #13, Apr 29, 2010 07:31:12

Tony-S
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,752 posts
Fort Collins, Colorado, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Chepoolo wrote in post #10087945external link
so far, JOELCPA was the only user that gave me an actual good solution for this issue, the rest users in this forum just kept saying that the best way to go is a card reader but they didn't really help solving the problem.

You must have some serious reading comprehension issues if you believe that.

Nothing like dredging up a 2 year old thread for your very first post. :rolleyes:

Post #14, Apr 29, 2010 08:59:01

Gear list
"Raw" is not an acronym, abbreviation, nor a proper noun; thus, it should not be in capital letters.
Zeiss 35/2 for sale.

JesseLambs
Hatchling
Joined Jul 2010
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

joelcpa wrote in post #4841967external link
Check your preferences in iphoto. Under general preferences, set "Connecting Camera opens" to either iphoto or image capture. Then give it another try.

Good luck,

Joel

Thanks Joel! You helped me out big time too. If anyone plugged in their canon camera before installing canon software, or if your mac just won't recognize your canon camera, listen to this guy.

Post #15, Jul 18, 2010 18:25:45

LIST NEARBY THREADS
73,939 views & 0 likes for this thread
mac doesn't recognize my camera
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES