Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #1
dicky2988

Default mac doesn't recognize my camera

i've recently upgraded to a macbook and outed my dated windows desktop.

Everything was going fine, until i needed to upload some photos. I plug my camera in the same as i would have done with my desktop, but nothing happens. Is this a fault with the camera, the macbook. Or like windows do i need to install drivers to use the camera with the macbook?

any help would be greatly received.

Rich
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #2
ooo

Default Re: mac doesn't recognize my camera

I tried to plug in my camera once to my imac and it didn't read it either. Now I just pull out the memory card and use my card reader. Never tried it on my windows pc though.
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #3
Pete
Prime Mover

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicky2988 View Post
i've recently upgraded to a macbook and outed my dated windows desktop.

Everything was going fine, until i needed to upload some photos. I plug my camera in the same as i would have done with my desktop, but nothing happens. Is this a fault with the camera, the macbook. Or like windows do i need to install drivers to use the camera with the macbook?

any help would be greatly received.

Rich
You'd probably need to install the Canon software. Or (easier) just get a card reader and use that instead.
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #4
dicky2988

okay, i will hunt out a card reader. When i used the built in card readers that my desktop had, they were much slower. Are remote card readers much quicker now? Could anyone suggest a cad reader i need? Or will any do?
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #5
Nick Pro

You need to turn the camera on to transfer the files to iphoto. Works amazingly for me. When you turn the camera on, iphoto will bounce up and down, asking you if you want to delete the photos after you download them.

Nick Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #6
dicky2988

Nope i don't get that. Turn the camera on, it says busy, no reaction from the macbook at all though
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #7
Nick Pro

hmmm.....I dont know. Take it in to the apple store.

Nick Pro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #8
joelcpa

Check your preferences in iphoto. Under general preferences, set "Connecting Camera opens" to either iphoto or image capture. Then give it another try.

Good luck,

Joel
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #9
dicky2988

just got a card reader, thats all sorted okay.

But the problem now is. I think one usb port isn't working on my macbook, and i only got it two days ago!

If i plug anything in my second usb port, nothing happens at all. Any advice?
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #10
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop

1. For the image capture: You need to run Image Capture, which is in your Applications folder of your hard drive, to tell your MacBook what to do when a camera is connected. This should have been defaulted to iPhoto from the factory, but it sounds as though yours has been altered in some way.

2. Plug a mouse into the working USB port to make sure it works. Then plug it into the non-working USB port. Is is still dead? If so, then try shutting down your MB and removing the battery for 10 or 15 seconds, then put it back in (unplug the computer from the AC adapter, too). If it's still not functioning, give Apple a call.
Tony-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #11
DocFrankenstein
Cream of the Crop

Did you see the commercial? The mac is talking to the camera in japanese.

Hajimumashte
Old 3rd of February 2008 (Sun)   #12
dicky2988

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
1. For the image capture: You need to run Image Capture, which is in your Applications folder of your hard drive, to tell your MacBook what to do when a camera is connected. This should have been defaulted to iPhoto from the factory, but it sounds as though yours has been altered in some way.

2. Plug a mouse into the working USB port to make sure it works. Then plug it into the non-working USB port. Is is still dead? If so, then try shutting down your MB and removing the battery for 10 or 15 seconds, then put it back in (unplug the computer from the AC adapter, too). If it's still not functioning, give Apple a call.

Thankyou very much, both have worked, thankyou. Saved me having to ring aple t fix i

Thanks again, Rich
Old 29th of April 2010 (Thu)   #13
Chepoolo

so far, JOELCPA was the only user that gave me an actual good solution for this issue, the rest users in this forum just kept saying that the best way to go is a card reader but they didn't really help solving the problem.

I changed the preferences on iphoto and plugged in my camera again, turned it on and it started reading the pictures, not with the default software - Image browser - I always use for downloading pictures from my EOS Rebel XT camera to my macbook, but with this other software run by Epson, which I think it comes with the drivers of my Epson printer. BUT THIS WORKED! thanks JOELCPA
Chepoolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of April 2010 (Thu)   #14
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chepoolo View Post
so far, JOELCPA was the only user that gave me an actual good solution for this issue, the rest users in this forum just kept saying that the best way to go is a card reader but they didn't really help solving the problem.
You must have some serious reading comprehension issues if you believe that.

Nothing like dredging up a 2 year old thread for your very first post.
Tony-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of July 2010 (Sun)   #15
JesseLambs

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelcpa View Post
Check your preferences in iphoto. Under general preferences, set "Connecting Camera opens" to either iphoto or image capture. Then give it another try.

Good luck,

Joel

Thanks Joel! You helped me out big time too. If anyone plugged in their canon camera before installing canon software, or if your mac just won't recognize your canon camera, listen to this guy.
JesseLambs is offline   Reply With Quote