Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area -- Taking Photos?

FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities
Thread started 06 Feb 2008 (Wednesday) 01:45   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

AperturePriority
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
Beautiful, Sunny, and Warm Southern California!
[MORE/SHARE]

I’m coming to Dallas (Las Colinas/Irving) next week for business and plan on getting there this Saturday and Sunday to go out and shoot some photographs around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Could you folks in the area recommend some cools places to shoot? I’ll have a car and two whole days to shoot, so don’t hold back!

Post #1, Feb 06, 2008 01:45:33

-Canon EOS 40-D with vertical/battery grip, wireless remote shutter release
-Canon 10-22mm F3.5 USM (with hood)
-Canon 70-300mm F4 EF IS USM (with hood)
-Canon 28-135mm F3.5 EF IS USM (with hood)...and many more items.
-Check out my photography hereexternal link. And hereexternal link, too.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I have heard a good vantage point for shooting the Dallas skyline was from the Trinity River. Does anyone know, where along the river, a good spot to take these photos?

Post #2, Feb 06, 2008 16:24:14

VGP
Joined Nov 2006
562 posts
Dallas, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

AperturePriority wrote in post #4865410external link
I have heard a good vantage point for shooting the Dallas skyline was from the Trinity River. Does anyone know, where along the river, a good spot to take these photos?.

There are a few good places to shoot downtown, but yes there is a park where you can get some nice shots. If you drive west some ways ( follow the hills ) you can drive on the hill to get a little bit more elevated shot.

Here is a quick map snapshot....the location is marked with an X ;)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #3, Feb 08, 2008 00:58:04

Canon T1I - Canon EF-S 18-55MM f/3.5-5.6mm IS - Canon EF-S 17-85MM f/4-5.6 IS USM ( Broke )

AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

VGP wrote in post #4875025external link
There are a few good places to shoot downtown, but yes there is a park where you can get some nice shots. If you drive west some ways ( follow the hills ) you can drive on the hill to get a little bit more elevated shot.

Here is a quick map snapshot....the location is marked with an X ;)

Thanks, VGP!

How is that area after dark? Is it safe to be out there with camera gear? There will be two of us (two guys).

Post #4, Feb 09, 2008 00:01:12

VGP
Joined Nov 2006
562 posts
Dallas, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

AperturePriority wrote in post #4881329external link
Thanks, VGP!

How is that area after dark? Is it safe to be out there with camera gear? There will be two of us (two guys).

That area is not a bad bad area, but near by is OakCliff where it gets pretty crazy at night. I would say its safe out there to take some pictures. The park is a small park with a little pond and soccer fields. If you go there as the sun goes day you can get several pics. Like I mentioned I would drive westward and find a spot to get on top of the hills. It will be a beautiful day for pictures today!

Post #5, Feb 09, 2008 09:31:58

Canon T1I - Canon EF-S 18-55MM f/3.5-5.6mm IS - Canon EF-S 17-85MM f/4-5.6 IS USM ( Broke )

sponsored links
littleman23408
Joined Mar 2007
264 posts
Garland, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I went out over in that area this afternoon. I was at Competitive Camera to pick up a 17-40 L. Went over the Continental Bridge. Never saw a park, Also the roads that led up to the hills were closed off. Saw someone park a suv on the curb, next to some generators and saw him walking up the hill. I had a car so couldnt get to the same place as he did. I ended up driving up and down Canada Dr/Beckley Ave, and never saw a decent place to park or park and walk. Found the court house and the multilevel parking garage which I would have thought had a nice view, but when I pulled in the garage, you had to pay to park. No cash on me ( I was by myself), so I ended up driving around downtown, looking for a free space to park. Towing was enforced at all times, so I ended up heading back home. Going back tonight though, taking the Dart train this time. I did see 3 people taking pictures of the W hotel (atleast thats what it looked like they were trying to photograph) from the West End parking structure. I tried to find that garage as well, but no luck. Any other areas around dallas? Maybe we should do a meet sometime? Dont know how many of us are from around here.?

Post #6, Feb 09, 2008 16:43:03

:)

VGP
Joined Nov 2006
562 posts
Dallas, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

littleman23408 wrote in post #4884589external link
I went out over in that area this afternoon. I was at Competitive Camera to pick up a 17-40 L. Went over the Continental Bridge. Never saw a park, Also the roads that led up to the hills were closed off. Saw someone park a suv on the curb, next to some generators and saw him walking up the hill. I had a car so couldnt get to the same place as he did. I ended up driving up and down Canada Dr/Beckley Ave, and never saw a decent place to park or park and walk. Found the court house and the multilevel parking garage which I would have thought had a nice view, but when I pulled in the garage, you had to pay to park. No cash on me ( I was by myself), so I ended up driving around downtown, looking for a free space to park. Towing was enforced at all times, so I ended up heading back home. Going back tonight though, taking the Dart train this time. I did see 3 people taking pictures of the W hotel (atleast thats what it looked like they were trying to photograph) from the West End parking structure. I tried to find that garage as well, but no luck. Any other areas around dallas? Maybe we should do a meet sometime? Dont know how many of us are from around here.?

Im running out the door, but quick note....my lady says the park was on Sylvan that turns in Wycliff. You can see it just north of my X in the pic above. I'll be right back!

Post #7, Feb 10, 2008 21:10:57

littleman23408
Joined Mar 2007
264 posts
Garland, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

I see now, I pulled up mapquest, and found right before Sylvan Ave turns into Wycliff, Sylvan intersects Irving Blvd. According to Mapquest there is a park right off Irving, and also some kind of park off Sylvan before it gets to Irving Blvd....just changed street view to satellite view and found them. Thanks! I will be going back out during the day to check this out!

Post #8, Feb 11, 2008 10:32:11

AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here are the photos I took over the weekend during my visit to Dallas (and I’m still here for the rest of the week). Let me know what you think of them—any and all feedback and questions are welcomed.

For you photo techies out there, I captured all images in RAW format. Out of the 43 photos total, all were shot using Manual mode (except for two). The two longest exposure shots were “Mirror Image” with an exposure time of 1 minute, 20 seconds, and “Dallas Skyline (5:47 p.m. on 2/9/2009)” which was exposed for 20 seconds.

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2109/2256669731_3618fba4be_m.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...ctions/721576038910​79679/]external link
(click on image to view all the photos)external link

Post #9, Feb 12, 2008 02:17:34

littleman23408
Joined Mar 2007
264 posts
Garland, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Those look great! I really like the photo of your hotel in Irving. Makes me want to go check that out. On the Reunion Tower ball picture, did you just take a picture of that and then just zoom in when you edited? Almost looks like you shot the picture at the same height from a rooftop...If so which roof top?

Post #10, Feb 12, 2008 17:43:39

AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

littleman23408 wrote in post #4905986external link
Those look great! I really like the photo of your hotel in Irving. Makes me want to go check that out. On the Reunion Tower ball picture, did you just take a picture of that and then just zoom in when you edited? Almost looks like you shot the picture at the same height from a rooftop...If so which roof top?

Thanks. The hotel is the Marriott over on Las Colinas Blvd.

The Reunion Tower ball image was taken from the same spot as this full skyline shot:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2109/2256669731_3618fba4be_m.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gainous/2256669​731/]external link
(click to enlarge)external link

The skyline shot was taken at a 56mm focal length (equivalent to about 90mm on a 35mm film camera).

The ball photo:

IMAGE: http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2027/2256670073_2092331fa1_m.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/gainous/2256670​073/]external link
(click to enlarge)external link

was taken with a focal length of 300mm (equivalent to 480mm on a 35mm film camera).

Post #11, Feb 12, 2008 23:48:01

sponsored links
VGP
Joined Nov 2006
562 posts
Dallas, Tx
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice pictures! I enjoyed the whole set...i only wish my pictures would come out as good! Glad it worked out for you!

Post #12, Feb 13, 2008 00:08:28

AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

VGP wrote in post #4908509external link
Nice pictures! I enjoyed the whole set...i only wish my pictures would come out as good! Glad it worked out for you!

Thanks VGP.

This is whereexternal link we actually parked and walked to get these skyline photos. When the page appears, click on the "Hybrid" link and zoom out to get a better perspective on where we were.

I wouldn't go there at night alone--there were two of us then.

Post #13, Feb 13, 2008 00:21:26

littleman23408
Joined Mar 2007
264 posts
Garland, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the map, When I was down there during the day, I wasn't to sure if we would be allowed to park along the side of the road during the day. I will definately be going back again this weekend and taking somebody with me.

Post #14, Feb 13, 2008 07:50:38

AperturePriority
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2007
367 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

littleman23408 wrote in post #4909689external link
Thanks for the map, When I was down there during the day, I wasn't to sure if we would be allowed to park along the side of the road during the day. I will definately be going back again this weekend and taking somebody with me.

So, did you make it there this past weekend?

Post #15, Feb 19, 2008 00:42:10

LIST NEARBY THREADS
3,366 views & 0 likes for this thread
Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area -- Taking Photos?
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff Member Activities

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES