Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > POTN Member Activities
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of February 2008 (Wed)   #1
AperturePriority

Default Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area -- Taking Photos?

Iím coming to Dallas (Las Colinas/Irving) next week for business and plan on getting there this Saturday and Sunday to go out and shoot some photographs around the Dallas/Ft. Worth area.

Could you folks in the area recommend some cools places to shoot? Iíll have a car and two whole days to shoot, so donít hold back!

-Canon 28-135mm F3.5 EF IS USM (with hood)...and many more items.
-Check out my photography here. And here, too.
AperturePriority is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of February 2008 (Wed)   #2
AperturePriority

Default Re: Dallas/Ft. Worth, Texas area -- Taking Photos?

I have heard a good vantage point for shooting the Dallas skyline was from the Trinity River. Does anyone know, where along the river, a good spot to take these photos?

Old 8th of February 2008 (Fri)   #3
VGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperturePriority View Post
I have heard a good vantage point for shooting the Dallas skyline was from the Trinity River. Does anyone know, where along the river, a good spot to take these photos?.
There are a few good places to shoot downtown, but yes there is a park where you can get some nice shots. If you drive west some ways ( follow the hills ) you can drive on the hill to get a little bit more elevated shot.

Here is a quick map snapshot....the location is marked with an X
Attached Images
File Type: jpg downtownmap.jpg (171.9 KB, 129 views)
VGP is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of February 2008 (Sat)   #4
AperturePriority

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGP View Post
There are a few good places to shoot downtown, but yes there is a park where you can get some nice shots. If you drive west some ways ( follow the hills ) you can drive on the hill to get a little bit more elevated shot.

Here is a quick map snapshot....the location is marked with an X
Thanks, VGP!

How is that area after dark? Is it safe to be out there with camera gear? There will be two of us (two guys).

Old 9th of February 2008 (Sat)   #5
VGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by AperturePriority View Post
Thanks, VGP!

How is that area after dark? Is it safe to be out there with camera gear? There will be two of us (two guys).
That area is not a bad bad area, but near by is OakCliff where it gets pretty crazy at night. I would say its safe out there to take some pictures. The park is a small park with a little pond and soccer fields. If you go there as the sun goes day you can get several pics. Like I mentioned I would drive westward and find a spot to get on top of the hills. It will be a beautiful day for pictures today!
Old 9th of February 2008 (Sat)   #6
littleman23408

I went out over in that area this afternoon. I was at Competitive Camera to pick up a 17-40 L. Went over the Continental Bridge. Never saw a park, Also the roads that led up to the hills were closed off. Saw someone park a suv on the curb, next to some generators and saw him walking up the hill. I had a car so couldnt get to the same place as he did. I ended up driving up and down Canada Dr/Beckley Ave, and never saw a decent place to park or park and walk. Found the court house and the multilevel parking garage which I would have thought had a nice view, but when I pulled in the garage, you had to pay to park. No cash on me ( I was by myself), so I ended up driving around downtown, looking for a free space to park. Towing was enforced at all times, so I ended up heading back home. Going back tonight though, taking the Dart train this time. I did see 3 people taking pictures of the W hotel (atleast thats what it looked like they were trying to photograph) from the West End parking structure. I tried to find that garage as well, but no luck. Any other areas around dallas? Maybe we should do a meet sometime? Dont know how many of us are from around here.?
Old 10th of February 2008 (Sun)   #7
VGP

Quote:
Originally Posted by littleman23408 View Post
I went out over in that area this afternoon. I was at Competitive Camera to pick up a 17-40 L. Went over the Continental Bridge. Never saw a park, Also the roads that led up to the hills were closed off. Saw someone park a suv on the curb, next to some generators and saw him walking up the hill. I had a car so couldnt get to the same place as he did. I ended up driving up and down Canada Dr/Beckley Ave, and never saw a decent place to park or park and walk. Found the court house and the multilevel parking garage which I would have thought had a nice view, but when I pulled in the garage, you had to pay to park. No cash on me ( I was by myself), so I ended up driving around downtown, looking for a free space to park. Towing was enforced at all times, so I ended up heading back home. Going back tonight though, taking the Dart train this time. I did see 3 people taking pictures of the W hotel (atleast thats what it looked like they were trying to photograph) from the West End parking structure. I tried to find that garage as well, but no luck. Any other areas around dallas? Maybe we should do a meet sometime? Dont know how many of us are from around here.?
Im running out the door, but quick note....my lady says the park was on Sylvan that turns in Wycliff. You can see it just north of my X in the pic above. I'll be right back!
Old 11th of February 2008 (Mon)   #8
littleman23408

I see now, I pulled up mapquest, and found right before Sylvan Ave turns into Wycliff, Sylvan intersects Irving Blvd. According to Mapquest there is a park right off Irving, and also some kind of park off Sylvan before it gets to Irving Blvd....just changed street view to satellite view and found them. Thanks! I will be going back out during the day to check this out!
Old 12th of February 2008 (Tue)   #9
AperturePriority

Here are the photos I took over the weekend during my visit to Dallas (and Iím still here for the rest of the week). Let me know what you think of themóany and all feedback and questions are welcomed.

For you photo techies out there, I captured all images in RAW format. Out of the 43 photos total, all were shot using Manual mode (except for two). The two longest exposure shots were ďMirror ImageĒ with an exposure time of 1 minute, 20 seconds, and ďDallas Skyline (5:47 p.m. on 2/9/2009)Ē which was exposed for 20 seconds.

(click on image to view all the photos)

Old 12th of February 2008 (Tue)   #10
littleman23408

Those look great! I really like the photo of your hotel in Irving. Makes me want to go check that out. On the Reunion Tower ball picture, did you just take a picture of that and then just zoom in when you edited? Almost looks like you shot the picture at the same height from a rooftop...If so which roof top?
Old 12th of February 2008 (Tue)   #11
AperturePriority

Quote:
Those look great! I really like the photo of your hotel in Irving. Makes me want to go check that out. On the Reunion Tower ball picture, did you just take a picture of that and then just zoom in when you edited? Almost looks like you shot the picture at the same height from a rooftop...If so which roof top?
Thanks. The hotel is the Marriott over on Las Colinas Blvd.

The Reunion Tower ball image was taken from the same spot as this full skyline shot:

(click to enlarge)

The skyline shot was taken at a 56mm focal length (equivalent to about 90mm on a 35mm film camera).

The ball photo:

(click to enlarge)

was taken with a focal length of 300mm (equivalent to 480mm on a 35mm film camera).

Old 13th of February 2008 (Wed)   #12
VGP

Nice pictures! I enjoyed the whole set...i only wish my pictures would come out as good! Glad it worked out for you!
Old 13th of February 2008 (Wed)   #13
AperturePriority

Quote:
Originally Posted by VGP View Post
Nice pictures! I enjoyed the whole set...i only wish my pictures would come out as good! Glad it worked out for you!
Thanks VGP.

This is where we actually parked and walked to get these skyline photos. When the page appears, click on the "Hybrid" link and zoom out to get a better perspective on where we were.

I wouldn't go there at night alone--there were two of us then.

Old 13th of February 2008 (Wed)   #14
littleman23408

Thanks for the map, When I was down there during the day, I wasn't to sure if we would be allowed to park along the side of the road during the day. I will definately be going back again this weekend and taking somebody with me.
Old 19th of February 2008 (Tue)   #15
AperturePriority

Quote:
Thanks for the map, When I was down there during the day, I wasn't to sure if we would be allowed to park along the side of the road during the day. I will definately be going back again this weekend and taking somebody with me.
So, did you make it there this past weekend?