FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 11 Feb 2008 (Monday) 01:08   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

orangeclaw
Joined Jun 2007
39 posts
N. California
[MORE/SHARE]

I will be going to the Galapagos in early June and I don't want to run out of memory and I need some advice on picture storage. I am debating on stocking up on CF cards, borrowing a laptop for storage, or I have read of portable media storage devices but they are expensive....

Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated

Post #1, Feb 11, 2008 01:08:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
nutsnbolts
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,279 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Epson P3000/P5000 which is very popular.

The Canon m80, however, it's not available everywhere. There are other alternatives popping up here and there but the time and tested device that is popular, I would say would be the Epson.

Post #2, Feb 11, 2008 08:56:26

Canon EOS 40D | EOS Rebel XTI/400D | G9
Lenses and Gear List
Review of my ThinkTank Gear

Bushplane ­ Ken
Joined Jan 2007
410 posts
east of Toronto, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I have an Epson P2000 (40 GB hard drive). It has served me quite well but once I started shooting raw & jpeg I found its size a bit small. I purchased a Hyperdrive Colorspace with a 160 GB hard drive last fall in preparation for a two week trip to Alaska in July 2008. I haven't used the Hyperdive extensively but so far it is working out well. The Hyperdirve has a couple of useful features; it will run on an external AA battery pack if need be and the internal battery is relatively inexpensive to purchase (I bought a spare).

The Epson has a great screen to review your photos. The screen on the Colorspace is much smaller but is useful non the less to confirm the photos are there and to allow deleting of obvious junk.

Post #3, Feb 11, 2008 09:05:16

Ken

Gear: A bunch of Canon stuff and a bunch of old Olympus 35 mm stuff (OM-1, OM-2, etc).

tjrenegade
Joined Nov 2006
482 posts
Enfield, NH USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I just picked up a Digital Foci 80G I picked it up for $114 Adorama had it on sale. You can't view the pictures on it and its not super fast on transfers but it does the job well enough for me and it simple to use.

Post #4, Feb 11, 2008 09:29:35

400D, 24-70EF 2.8L, 70-300EF USM IS, 50 EF II 1.8, Kit lens..
Living Life one photo at a time....

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,036 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

orangeclaw wrote in post #4893949external link
I will be going to the Galapagos in early June and I don't want to run out of memory and I need some advice on picture storage. I am debating on stocking up on CF cards, borrowing a laptop for storage, or I have read of portable media storage devices but they are expensive....

Any ideas or advice will be greatly appreciated

i have a 120 gb storage device (digital foci ) and frankly i never use it. when i go out of town i take my laptop and it has plenty of storage space. i also carry 30 gigs of CF cards.

ed rader

Post #5, Feb 11, 2008 10:25:40

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

sponsored links
nutsnbolts
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,279 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Ed:

You're so special. Can I be like you! Hahaha j/k.

You can if you want get the 40GB Epson P-3000 and do the mod to it to get 120GB. There is a link here somewhere of the tutorial. the P-5000 is 80gb fyi.

Post #6, Feb 11, 2008 10:32:36

Lenses and Gear List

Riff ­ Raff
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
1,110 posts
Austin, Texas, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I used to have one of these hard drive units (a few years back... I think it held a whole 4GB!), but with the rapidly shrinking prices of flash cards I think they're somewhat outdated unless you're going on a month long trip or something. With the current mail-in rebates, you can get a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III (a higher end card) for $110 after rebate. I'm seeing 2GB low-end cards sold for slightly under $10. Estimate about how much space you'd need on your trip, double it if you want to be really safe, and the compare then price of a hard drive versus how much the extra flash memory would cost. Then consider whether you'd get more actual usage out of the flash cards.

Post #7, Feb 11, 2008 11:04:47

Shawn McHorse - AustinRocky.orgexternal link / RockyMusic.orgexternal link
Bodies: 5D Mark III, Rebel XTi, Elan 7NE Compact: S100 Flashes: 580EX II, 430EX
Lenses: 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS, 50mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8
Bags: Stealth Reporter D400AW, Toploader 75AW, Modulus Belt System

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,279 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Riff Raff wrote in post #4896102external link
I used to have one of these hard drive units (a few years back... I think it held a whole 4GB!), but with the rapidly shrinking prices of flash cards I think they're somewhat outdated unless you're going on a month long trip or something. With the current mail-in rebates, you can get a 16GB Sandisk Extreme III (a higher end card) for $110 after rebate. I'm seeing 2GB low-end cards sold for slightly under $10. Estimate about how much space you'd need on your trip, double it if you want to be really safe, and the compare the price of a hard drive versus how much the extra flash memory would cost. Also, I'd feel safer about having the photos stored on flash cards.

Well, I can't say you should rule these out. These are for people who are willing to not have to carry a laptop (although it may be more helpful) to offload their images. No matter how many CF/SD cards you have, at some given point, you need to off load it and with the Epson P3000, I use it as a viewer for people (due to the awesome screen) and to store the images in while on a trip which I can carry with me 24/7 in the bag. The laptop will be too big to carry around.

Once I have the time, all I have to do is plug the device into the computer and do the transfer from there from all my shoots. I don't have to worry about each card one by one.

I think when the laptop becomes smaller, that's when these things will become obselete for it will match portability. Already it's becoming smaller and smaller.

Post #8, Feb 11, 2008 11:13:04

Lenses and Gear List

orangeclaw
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2007
39 posts
N. California
[MORE/SHARE]

Thank you guys for the input, I will take it all into consideration (ask the wife how much I can spend).

Post #9, Feb 11, 2008 11:18:27

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,279 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

orangeclaw wrote in post #4896186external link
Thank you guys for the input, I will take it all into consideration (ask the wife how much I can spend).

Take advantage of valentines day, it may help! Hahaha...good luck.

Post #10, Feb 11, 2008 11:24:11

Lenses and Gear List

APadilla
Joined Oct 2007
20 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

You going to the Galapagos Island, that is great. I have been to Panama, Colombia and the Amazon River. What I suggest is to carry as light as possible. I have CF cards stocked up. You have still June to grab any specials on cards. I don't know what camera you have but I have the Rebel XTi/400D and it uses type II cards so I get the 8GB. Enjoy your trip and post the photos.

Post #11, Feb 11, 2008 11:49:16

sponsored links
Tapeman
Sliced Bread
Joined Jan 2004
3,281 posts
Twin Cities
[MORE/SHARE]

Some of the older PSDs like my Epson P2000 may be for sale cheap, only 40gb but a good back-up with a nice screen.

Post #12, Feb 11, 2008 11:52:14 as a reply to nutsnbolts's post 28 minutes earlier.

Canon G1X II, 1D MKIV, 5D MKII, 16-35/2.8L II, 24-70/2.8L II, 70-200/2.8L IS II, IS, 500/4 L IS II, 24-105/4 IS, 50/2.5 macro, 1.4x MKII, 1.4X MKIII,
2X MKIII,580EX II, 550EXs(2), ST-E2. Gitzo 1228, 1275, 1558, Lensbaby 3G. Epson 3880, Bags that match my shoes.:)

tdodd
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2006
3,729 posts
Essex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Personally, I take a small laptop and a 120GB personal storage device for downloading my images while away from home. I think it is a risky strategy to dump your files onto a single device, on the assumption that it will not get lost/damaged/stolen or simply break etc.. My files go firstly from CF card direct to the PSD and then, separately from the CF card to the laptop. Only when I've checked the photos out on the laptop will I reformat the cards ready for the next day.

Post #13, Feb 11, 2008 11:59:00

nutsnbolts
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
2,279 posts
New Jersey, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tdodd wrote in post #4896461external link
Personally, I take a small laptop and a 120GB personal storage device for downloading my images while away from home. I think it is a risky strategy to dump your files onto a single device, on the assumption that it will not get lost/damaged/stolen or simply break etc.. My files go firstly from CF card direct to the PSD and then, separately from the CF card to the laptop. Only one I've checked the photos out on the laptop will I reformat the cards ready for the next day.

Anything and everything is a risk. You can drop your bag that has your laptop and cf cards and all can be lost. Whichever method you choose to ensure that you have your pictures, it's all a gamble.

People who has 8gb cards risk corrupting their card or losing their card and that would be 5+ gigs worth of images. That's a lot of images!

Who knows, even at the end of the day when you have all your images in your laptop, your laptop HD can go corrupt. There goes your images again.

My only advice, go with top name brands, don't cheap out on CF cards, make sure you have redundant backups and cross your fingers.

Post #14, Feb 11, 2008 12:12:04

Lenses and Gear List

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

nutsnbolts wrote in post #4895930external link
Ed:

You're so special. Can I be like you! Hahaha j/k.

You can if you want get the 40GB Epson P-3000 and do the mod to it to get 120GB. There is a link here somewhere of the tutorial. the P-5000 is 80gb fyi.

Thats exactly what I would like to do... Anyone out there know the link to a good tutorial on opening the Epson P-3000 up and swapping the hard drive?

Post #15, Feb 11, 2008 12:23:44

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,493 views & 0 likes for this thread
media storage while on vacation?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES