FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 14 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 22:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

ObiDamnKenobi
Joined Jan 2008
171 posts
Baltimore, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

So, I just got my 70-200 f4 L a couple a days ago. Used a blower brush ting now to clean of some dust. Blew on it, then gently brushed away some that didn't blow off. And guess what? The brush made a ~inch long scratch on the front element, not cool!

I brushed a blank CD now with the brush and easily made scratches in it. Is this normal? I thought I was very gentle.. Bought the brush from Penn camera around here. I'm not going to use the ting again at least.

Anyone how would this work with warranty or B&H return policy? I suspect not very well..

Maybe this will serve as a warning to someone else at least..
Thanks

Post #1, Feb 14, 2008 22:41:37

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Pen6uiN
Joined Jan 2008
502 posts
Melbourne, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

omg .. that is the worst feeling ever having a scrathced lens

i stick a filter straightaway after buying a lens, and never take it off EVER

feed bad for u dude

Post #2, Feb 14, 2008 22:46:22

Canon 5D mkII (Gripped) | 16-35 2.8L II | 24-70 2.8L | 70-200 2.8L IS | 50mm 1.2L | 580EX II | TC 2x | Manfrotto 055XPROB with 804RC2 / 496RC2 | PocketWizard FlexTT5
My Flickrexternal link

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
Joined May 2005
22,031 posts
silicon valley
[MORE/SHARE]

ObiDamnKenobi wrote in post #4921277external link
So, I just got my 70-200 f4 L a couple a days ago. Used a blower brush ting now to clean of some dust. Blew on it, then gently brushed away some that didn't blow off. And guess what? The brush made a ~inch long scratch on the front element, not cool!
Yeah I guess it won't make much difference to IQ but even so it's not something I'm particularly happy about.

I brushed a blank CD now with the brush and easily made scratches in it. Is this normal? I thought I was very gentle.. Bought the brush from Penn camera around here. I'm not going to use the ting again at least.

Anyone how would this work with warranty or B&H return policy? I suspect not very well..

ps: yeah I know a UV filter would have prevented this but I only use them if I have to.
Maybe this will serve as a warning to someone else at least..
Thanks
here's a pic
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
| Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

if you scratched the lens you'd have to lie to get canon or BH to take the hit for your mistake.

ed rader

Post #3, Feb 14, 2008 22:48:08

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/external link
http://erader.zenfolio​.com/external link
5D3, SL1, 16-35L f4 IS, 24-70L II, 70-300L, 100-400L, 35f2 IS, 24mm f2.8 ef-s, 15mm FE (sigma), 270ex II, gitzo, markins, benro

MaxxuM
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
3,343 posts
Rio Grande Valley
[MORE/SHARE]

Is this a lens brush? It's actually not all that easy to scratch these lenses much less with a lens brush. Are you sure it isn't just a smear? In come cases a brush that touches oily substances can leave marks across a lens. Use a lens cloth and gently go across this scratch and see what happens.

Post #4, Feb 14, 2008 22:48:46

Canon 7D & 60D With Grip's
Canon: EF-S 17-55 F2.8 IS, EF 70-200L F4 IS, EF 85mm F1.8
HOYA PRO1 MC UV Review | Lens Glossary of Terms
Feedback

azpix
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
3,309 posts
Chandler, Arizona USA
[MORE/SHARE]

how would a lens brush cause a scratch? even with debris on the brush I'm have a hard time imagining that a brush could cause the scratch. You sure just didn't notice the scratch after you brushed it.

How long have you had the lens? was it scratched when you got i?

Post #5, Feb 14, 2008 22:52:35

Gear- 7d, 24-70L, sigma 70-200, Sigma 120-400, canon 50 1.4, Canon 100 2.0,sigma 10-20, Sigma 24mm 1.8 and a canon G11.

sponsored links
thrash_273
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2007
4,782 posts
baltimore
[MORE/SHARE]

that sucks. rocket blow would do.

Post #6, Feb 14, 2008 22:53:31

Ben
flickrexternal link
Positive feedbacks, More, More,More

Woolburr
Mr. PMS Himself
Joined Sep 2005
66,278 posts
The Tupperware capitol of eastern Oregon...Leicester, NC!
[MORE/SHARE]

No way a "lens brush" scratched your lens. Wire brush...maybe. The optical coating on the lenses today is pretty darn good stuff...you have to work to scratch a lens.

Post #7, Feb 14, 2008 22:56:01

People that know me call me Dan
You'll never be a legitimate photographer until you have an award winning duck in your portfolio!
Crayons,Coloring Book,external link Refrigerator Artexternal link and What I Really Think Aboutexternal link

Chiva
Joined Jan 2008
268 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

its probably a mark. i 'marked' one of my filters and it wiped off with a cloth, i had to use a small amount of force, but its all good and clear.

Post #8, Feb 14, 2008 22:58:19

Gear

ObiDamnKenobi
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2008
171 posts
Baltimore, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

yupp it's a lens brush, bought at penn camera for $5 or so I believe.. Like I said I can scratch a CD with pretty gently brushing..
Pretty sure it wasn't there before either, looked at it closely earlier.
Took a picture of my wall but couldn't see it when zooming it on the pc though. Guess I'll just have to live with that. thanks for the replys

Post #9, Feb 14, 2008 23:00:54

topherstein
Joined Dec 2007
48 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

lenses do not scratch easily, today I witnessed a guy with a filter on a wider lens drop the whole body onto a wood gym floor and the filter shatters, the fragments glass of got wedged between the remains of the filter and lens. he removes the filter and the lens has no scratches at all, he was so lucky and I was amazed.

Post #10, Feb 14, 2008 23:32:36

-Chris Whiston, high school yearbook photographer
Gear: Canon 30D, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS, Nifty Fifty, and 17-85mm IS.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,848 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ObiDamnKenobi wrote in post #4921362external link
yupp it's a lens brush, bought at penn camera for $5 or so I believe.. Like I said I can scratch a CD with pretty gently brushing..
Pretty sure it wasn't there before either, looked at it closely earlier.
Took a picture of my wall but couldn't see it when zooming it on the pc though. Guess I'll just have to live with that. thanks for the replys

I would bet a first-class steak dinner that you have NOT scratched the lens or the CD. You have, most likely, laid down a strip of some contaminant from the brush. As others have said, it's rather difficult to scratch a lens or even a CD with a brush.

Take the lens, CD, and the brush back to where you bought the brush and insist that they help you clean the lens and the CD and refund the money you spent for the brush.

Post #11, Feb 15, 2008 03:51:45

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

sponsored links
lostmytoy
Joined Nov 2007
177 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

It is probably just a mark on the coating, lens is not easily scratch. Try use a lens pen to clean it.

Post #12, Feb 15, 2008 07:40:37

7D, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 50 F1.8, 70-200 F4L, Sigma 24-60 F2.8.
more..external link

stathunter
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
5,580 posts
California & Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

Use sandpaper to even it out then move to fine sandpaper to smooth it even......... :)

Post #13, Feb 15, 2008 07:45:56

Scott
"Do or do not, there is no try"

Jman13
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2005
5,558 posts
Columbus, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I agree that it's likely not a scratch. Get a lenspen and breath on the lens, then rub it out...probably just a stubborn mark.

If the brush IS causing the problems, contact Penn camera and tell them you'd like them to pay for the lens repair.

Post #14, Feb 15, 2008 07:54:03

Jordan Steele - http://www.jordansteel​e.comexternal link
Admiring Light - http://www.admiringlig​ht.comexternal link

TeamSpeed
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2002
25,979 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

stathunter wrote in post #4922744external link
Use sandpaper to even it out then move to fine sandpaper to smooth it even......... :)

Or clearcoat automotive polish. If that is good enough for sportscar fanatics, it has to be okay for the lens. ;)

Post #15, Feb 15, 2008 07:56:57

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,460 views & 0 likes for this thread
scratched new lens
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES