Thread started 16 Feb 2008 (Saturday) 11:41   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jack ­ Sparrow
Joined Dec 2007
99 posts
Warwickshire UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi all.

Yesterday i was at a butterfly farm, and i took my canon 400d.

My questionis how do you quickly change your camera setting for changing in light condition, like one shot can be over exposed and one could be under in a matter of seconds. i had my camera set to manual, and was just using the dial on the front to change shutter speed, but im just wondering how other manage to control fast light changing conditions.

regards
Jack

Post #1, Feb 16, 2008 11:41:07

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Cody21
Joined Apr 2006
592 posts
El Cerrito, Ca.
[MORE/SHARE]

In constant changing light situatons, it might be better to set to Aperture Priorty mode and let the camera manage the shutterspeed for you. But that might also result in underexposed situations thus requiring a faster ISO ... just a thought.

Post #2, Feb 16, 2008 13:00:09

---------------

5DM3 | 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | 70-200mm IS f/4L | 24-105 f/4L | Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 | Speedlite 430EX

jack ­ Sparrow
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Dec 2007
99 posts
Warwickshire UK
[MORE/SHARE]

cheers for that, my problem is ive got stuck working in manual and dont even give the other settings a thought now, maybe i should change my chain of thought

regards
jack

Post #3, Feb 16, 2008 13:13:56 as a reply to Cody21's post 13 minutes earlier.

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,848 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Jack, I also work with the camera in manual exposure mode most of the time. I often use a handheld meter in incident mode to measure the light falling on the subject and transfer that reading to the camera's settings. While I use the hand held meter for the specific measurements that I transfer to the camera, though, I use the camera's built-in meter to clue me in on possible changes of the light level from time to time. When the built-in meter shifts, I take another reading with the incident meter.

Why do I use the handheld meter? It's because the camera's built-in meter is often fooled by the color(s) or reflective characteristic(s) of the subject. An incident meter is not affected by the subject at all. You merely need to read light that is falling on the subject or light that is the same as that falling on the subject (light from the sky, for example, assuming sky light falling on your position is the same as that falling on the subject).

Post #4, Feb 16, 2008 19:17:26

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

PhotosGuy
Joined Feb 2004
69,094 posts
S. E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

like one shot can be over exposed and one could be under in a matter of seconds.

But how much time was there between changes? Pick your shots, & I'll bet there was way more time than it takes to do this: Need an exposure crutch?

Post #5, Feb 16, 2008 20:52:20

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

LIST NEARBY THREADS
398 views & 0 likes for this thread
Problem with changing light
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES