Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of February 2008 (Wed)   #1
bhanu2217

Default Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote

Has anyone used this product or similar products?

Does it work like the shutter button, press half for focus and and than to click?

Do i have to point it straight towards the camera to click like a TV remote?

What is the main function of the Remote? to Click self images? or can it be used even from behind the camera?

Does it do the job of Remote switch RS-60E3?

Do u know other brands(cheaper) other than canon for this and have u used other brand other than Canon for this product?

What is the difference between RC-1,RC-5 and RS-60E3?
bhanu2217 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2008 (Wed)   #2
simwells

Default Re: Canon RC-5 Wireless Remote

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhanu2217 View Post
Has anyone used this product or similar products?
I have not used one of these but did use an RC-1 when I used to have a 300D, it was ok at short distances and did the job I needed it to. Remember that both only work with the XX0D/Rebel series though.

Quote:
Does it work like the shutter button, press half for focus and and than to click?
Neither the RC-1 or RC-5 have the half button press for focus, it just autofocuses when you press the button then takes the shot imediately after.

Quote:
Do i have to point it straight towards the camera to click like a TV remote?
Yes you do, it's an IR remote just like a TV remote and the sensor is on the front of the camera so yes.

Quote:
What is the main function of the Remote? to Click self images? or can it be used even from behind the camera?
That's totally up to you, yes it does excel with self images but you can stand behind the camera and shoot as long as you reach around the camera to take the shot. Just make sure your arm is out of view.

Quote:
Does it do the job of Remote switch RS-60E3?
Basically yes, but the RS-60E3 is obviously a wired remote rather than wireless and has the ability to do bulb exposures and does have the half press function.

Quote:
Do u know other brands(cheaper) other than canon for this and have u used other brand other than Canon for this product?
If you want wireless then the only ones you'll find cheaper are generic ones, but the phottix unit is very highly regarded on here but will cost a little bit more.

Quote:
What is the difference between RC-1,RC-5 and RS-60E3?
RC-5 is a basic single button wireless IR remote.
RC-1 adds the functions of a bulb exposure mode and a 2 second delay but is also a wireless IR remote.
RS-60E3 is wired and adds the half press feature.
Old 20th of February 2008 (Wed)   #3
bhanu2217

Thank u.
bhanu2217 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of February 2008 (Wed)   #4
Maxdave

Just to add ... my RC-5 worked with my 300D and works with my 400D, also using the self timer function on either the RC-5 will allow plenty of time to reach around and trip the shutter without getting your arm in the shot. It even gives you time to step in front, trip the shutter, and then retreat out of shot ...

Also, I seem to recall that on the Bulb setting, the first press opened the shutter and the next press closed it, with the result that long (30 seconds plus) exposures worked easily ... not sure, but that is what I think I remember ...

Maxdave
5D3,1D3,M,S90,Voking EF-M Adapter,GPS-E2,2x580EX,430EX,90EX,Rokie 8,Siggy 8-16,EF17-40L,EF-M18-55IS,Samy SYTS24-C 24TS,EF24-105L IS,EF50 f/1.4,EF85 f/1.8,EF70-200 f/4L IS,EF100-400L IS,Kenko DGX 1.4X,RRS & Pro-Media L-Brackets,Sirui 306/K-20,Giottos MT-7371/MH-3300/VR,Velbon El Carmagne 530,Phottix & Canon Remotes,Lowepro Backpack,ThinkTank Retrospective 20 & Modular System,OpTech straps,Lexar & San Disk Cards
Maxdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th of February 2008 (Wed)   #5
nutsnbolts
Goldmember

I'll keep it simple for you.

Buy the RC1
Buy the RS-60E3 (wired backup)

You're set.

How about generic Brands?

There is many out there and all are essentially reliable. The build quality is what you have to worry about. IMO, I prefer Canon, I trust their build quality so it was a simple decision. It became a matter of which had better features.
nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of January 2009 (Fri)   #6
DonJuanMair
Cream of the Crop

does anyone know a way of changing the timer time on the rc-1 from 2 seconds to 5?