Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Thread started 27 Sep 2005 (Tuesday) 12:45
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: -=FAQ=- Teleconverter/T-Con Tele extender Discussion

Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor
9,860 posts
Joined Jan 2003
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Sep 27, 2005 12:45 |  #1

Which of the third-party T-cons would give the best image quality?

I'm searching for a 1.4x and 2.0x third-party tcon to put on my 80-200/2.8L and am a bit amazed by the multitude of offerings or at least names:

- Kenko Pro300 w/o DG (7-element)
- Kenko MC7 (7-element)
- Kenko MC4 (4-element)
- Kenko Teleplus SHQ 1.5x
- Tamron 'Pro' (7-element)
- Tamron MC4 (4-element)

Does anyone have experience with comparing the performance of these and can endorse one over the other?
From what I've read, the Kenko 'Pro300' and Tamron 'Pro' line should be the top model with the best quality, and the 7-element versions should better than the 4-element versions ... but does anybody have any advice here?

Best regards,
Andy

some cameras, some lenses,
and still a lot of things to learn...
(so post processing examples on my images are welcome :D)
If you like the forum, vote for it where it really counts!
CLICK here for the EOS FAQ
CLICK here for the Post Processing FAQ
CLICK here to understand a bit more about BOKEH

sponsored links
R ­ Schade
284 posts
Joined Dec 2004
PA
Sep 30, 2005 11:48 |  #2

Regarding : Tamron Teleconverter1.4C-AFT MCA

Quote: CyberDyneSystems
III: "Other" Third Party T-cons
We are currently putting together info on other third party manufacture T-cons,. compatibility, autofocus data etc. Please contribute any direct experience or info”

Just from my own Experience with several Lenses. The Tamaron AF- Teleconverter1.4C-AFT MCA has worked with

Canon 50mm F/1.8
Canon 85mm F/1.8
Canon 70-200mm F/4.0
Tamron 28-75mm F/2.8
Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8

Positive comments.
1 Price is always a consideration, it works about how I expected, i.e. you get what you pay for. Hey, I lucked into this converter for $25.00 from one of our members, I couldn’t go wrong for that price.
2 It has done what Tamron said it would.
3 For the casual user it probably will be fine, (Not the pro which I am not) the picture is acceptable

My only negative comments have been.
1 does not report the focal length.
2 Tends to make whites or any bright-light or reflective colors appear brighter than they should be.Especially in bright light or bright days. I see halos. Sometimes.
3 Pictures are perceptually a little less sharp than when not using it. Hey, it’s a Tele converter this happens right? I would hope that the more expensive Tamron models, as well as Canon and other 3rd party are sharper?

Should some one buy it?
Based on your needs and pocket book it is acceptable.
Russ

Canon; 6D, 60D, 28 f/2.8 IS, 35 f/2.0 IS, 50 f/1.8 and 1.4, 28-70Lf/2.8, 85 f/1.8, 135Lf/2.0, ST-E2, 580ex

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Dec 28, 2005 00:16 |  #3

OK, a little teleconverter information to add to the thread. I stacked a Canon 2X and Canon 1.4X on the 5D today with the 400 f/2.8 and maintaned autofocus even though the combination was effectively f/8. Seems that the 1.4X does not relay its existence to the camera when it is stacked behind the 2X, so the camera will report the aperture as if the 1.4X weren't there. I beleive that this has been pointed out on other cameras, but not on the 5D.

Checked it with the 70-200 f/2.8 and it held AF as well, though I wouldn't expect the zoom to give very nice image quality with the stacked converters. Even with the prime, I recommend stopping down a couple of stops if you use this setup. You will lose a fair amount of sharpness.

AF on the 400/2.8 alone or with either teleconverter is excellent. With the stacked combo, it is essential that the setup be used in good light. Otherwise, you'll get erratic hunting for focus. If the lens starts hunting rapidly (and this goes for any lens/telecon combination), let go of the shutter button. You may be better off focusing manually if that happens, unless you can re-aim your shot a bit to get a better contrast point under the AF sensor.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,952 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
Jan 05, 2006 14:24 |  #4

i have just spoken to Sigma uk about the EX 500 F4.5 DG HSM lens and canon tc 1.4 .They said it will auto focus on a 1dmk2 as its under f8 ,they say in there common info Manul focus with any tcon , the guy said this was just to avoid confusion as there are more people with cameras other than the 1d series and they may want to try a tcon and it wont AF .
Rob.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 08, 2006 21:06 |  #5

Gyrob,

The Sigma representative you spoke to is wrong.
There are several members on this forum with first hand expeireince with this combnation,. including myself and the MkII will simply not AF with the Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX HSM and either the Sigma 1.4X or Canon 1.4X

FYI Sigma international in Japan had no idea about this "issue" until it was brought to there attention by this forum.

The working theory is that only the first BIOS of the MkII would allow AF to function.

Also,. AF did work with the 1D (4.5 MP version)

Working theory is a Canon firmware revision early on in the MkII history is the cause of the incompatibility.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

GyRob
Cream of the Crop
9,952 posts
Joined Feb 2005
N.E.LINCOLNSHIRE UK.
Jan 09, 2006 12:57 |  #6

intresting and i take what you say as true but i am talking about the NEW ex500f4.5 dg hsm its only being out a couple of month,s not sure if anyone on here has the new one. i have one on order although its not so much going to be used with a tc. so af or not isn't a great concern to me .
Rob.
edit. i guess it's the 1dmk2 body / firmware thats the problem Not the lens.

"The LensMaster Gimbal"
http://www.lensmaster.​co.uk/rh1.htmexternal link

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 09, 2006 13:27 |  #7

Well,. seeing as how all that changes with the DG is the optical coatings.. I do hope your right.

Let me put it this way.. I've yet to hear of a Sigma 500mm pulling this stunt off unless it's on a 1D or a MkII with original first run firmware.

But you are correct,. The three POTN members that I know have this combo do not have the DG version.. unless Cadwell does?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 09, 2006 13:45 |  #8

Just using this space to peice together the history as it unfolded of the Sigam 500 MkII anomoly..
I can't seem to find Cadwells post though.

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?t=39461&highlight​=500mm

Then later;
http://photography-on-the.net ...p?t=74871&highlight​=500mm

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Feb 08, 2006 10:46 |  #9

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Adding the macro extension tube deos not change the fact that the 1.4X will not physically fit the 100mm Macro.

My Sigma 1.4x EX DG telcon DOES fit my Canon 100mm f2.8 macro FYI.

Anyone have any compairisons of the Sigma EX DG telcon and the Canons? I just ordered the 2x Sigma to go with my 1.4 Sigma, but I'd be curious to see a comparison if there is one around.
Ben

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Feb 08, 2006 23:13 as a reply to jacobsen1's post |  #10

jacobsen1 wrote:
My Sigma 1.4x EX DG telcon DOES fit my Canon 100mm f2.8 macro FYI.

Really? the Sigma does? Well,. good to know. I sold my Sigma before I ever gpot the 100 Macro so I never knew this. One to add to the Sticky info.. does it function well?

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Feb 08, 2006 23:17 |  #11

Tom W wrote:
There is one combination of 1.4X teleconverter and lens involving Sigma and Canon in which the teleconverter's protrusion is just a bit too long for the lens. I'm just not certain which combination it is, but I think it's the Canon 1.4X Mark II telecon and the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 HSM EX. This is not to be taken as gospel, though. My memory of this isn't perfectly clear.

I seem to recall it's the Canon 1.4 won't fit Sigma's new 150mm macro?
Anyway,. we know that the two 1.4s though very similar are different enough that in some cases they don't interchange. I'd actually guess that the difference is in the DIAMETER of the protruding element assembly rather than length,. I just looked at my Canon 1.4 and 100 macro again,. and though they will not fit.. the difference is soooo close that it even looks like if you could remove the black plastic from the t-con protrusion.. they would fit.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 09, 2006 09:21 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #12

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
I seem to recall it's the Canon 1.4 won't fit Sigma's new 150mm macro?
Anyway,. we know that the two 1.4s though very similar are different enough that in some cases they don't interchange. I'd actually guess that the difference is in the DIAMETER of the protruding element assembly rather than length,. I just looked at my Canon 1.4 and 100 macro again,. and though they will not fit.. the difference is soooo close that it even looks like if you could remove the black plastic from the t-con protrusion.. they would fit.

With a little more thought, I believe that it was the Canon 1.4X II telecon that was slightly too long for the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. There's a little black rubber "snubber" ring around the front element on the telecon that protects everything if you try, and that's what nudged up against the rear glass of the lens. It was a great way to convince myself that I needed IS! ;)

Tom

jacobsen1
Cream of the Crop
9,629 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Mt View, RI
Feb 10, 2006 08:15 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #13

CyberDyneSystems wrote:
Really? the Sigma does? Well,. good to know. I sold my Sigma before I ever gpot the 100 Macro so I never knew this. One to add to the Sticky info.. does it function well?

Both the 1.4 and the 2.0 Sigma EX DG telcons "work" with the canon 100mm f2.8 marco. I say "work" because they fit on the lens and the lens fits on the body, but the AF does that weird very fast hunting thing I like to call "rattling", but with a macro that doesn't bug me because I MF all the macro work I do anyway because the DOF is so short. If using a tripod and MF it's not an issue at all... Haven't really tested the image quality as the 100mm works fine normally for me, I just put the telcons on all my lenses when I got it just to see what works...

Ben

My Gear List

my sites:
benjacobsenphoto.comexternal link | newschoolofphotography​.comexternal link
GND buyers FAQ

FOR SALE: 5Dii RRS L-bracket, 430II, 12mm macro tube PM ME!

fc3s89
65 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Melbourne, Australia
Feb 15, 2006 17:24 as a reply to Tom W's post |  #14

Tom W wrote:
With a little more thought, I believe that it was the Canon 1.4X II telecon that was slightly too long for the Sigma 70-200 f/2.8. There's a little black rubber "snubber" ring around the front element on the telecon that protects everything if you try, and that's what nudged up against the rear glass of the lens. It was a great way to convince myself that I needed IS! ;)

I haven't tried the Canon 1.4x TC with a Sigma 70-200 f/2.8 but I have tried it with a Sigma 50-500 and it didn't quite fit due to the Canon TC being slightly too wide to fit into the hole in the lens. There was literally 1mm or less in it. It was so close, but just didn't quite fit. I suspect that is the case with the Sigma 70-200 as well.

James

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
12,743 posts
Joined Feb 2003
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Feb 23, 2006 21:53 |  #15

Update on teleconverter experience. I used the inexpensive Tamron 1.4X teleconverter with the 100-400 L zoom with pretty good results. AF works well as long as there's good light.

Tried it on the 70-300 DO and I haven't had good success with IQ using that combination.

Tom

sponsored links

267,301 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=FAQ=- Teleconverter/T-Con Tele extender Discussion
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.