Has anyone tried this steamer for muslin backgrounds?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 21 Feb 2008 (Thursday) 09:29   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm looking into getting a small steamer for my backgrounds to make life easier and eliminate having to iron huge backgrounds on a table. I've never used a steamer and have no idea if they work well and what it takes to make a steamer a good one.

So I'm at the beginning of my research and found this simple inexpensive one. Does anyone have experience with this one or others that are inexpensive? Any recommendations?

I want something that works well, so if it's cheap but doesn't do a great job then I'm not interested. I'll spend a little more to get something that works but don't want to spend more than needed.

http://www.silverlakep​hoto.com ...ESTEAM-pr-16733.html#tabsexternal link

Post #1, Feb 21, 2008 09:29:54

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,014 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

which one? There's no link or picture.

Post #2, Feb 21, 2008 09:31:01

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

hawk911 wrote in post #4963811external link
which one? There's no link or picture.

Oops. Sorry, the link is there now.

Post #3, Feb 21, 2008 09:43:31

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,014 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks, and not that it mattered for me cuz I've never tried a steamer... but this seems like a nice price if it works.

Post #4, Feb 21, 2008 09:45:49

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TeeJay
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
3,834 posts
Warwickshire - UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Why do you need a steamer? Surely, if you position your subject a little way from the background, and use the "correct" on-camera settings, you shouldn't notice a few creases 'cos the background will be OOF?

TJ

Post #5, Feb 21, 2008 09:54:52

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

sponsored links
magicmikey
Joined Feb 2005
843 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Although I don't own that steamer, there was a discussion about it on another forum. (It's a paid member forum so I can't link you to it.) Basically, they said that the Silverlake steamer is inadequate for muslins. They recommended larger steamers. Here are two that they linked to:

http://www.lnt.com ...steamer&parentPage=​searchexternal link

http://www.costco.com ...opnav=&browse=&lang​=en-USexternal link

Michael

Post #6, Feb 21, 2008 09:59:17

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

TeeJay wrote in post #4963937external link
Why do you need a steamer? Surely, if you position your subject a little way from the background, and use the "correct" on-camera settings, you shouldn't notice a few creases 'cos the background will be OOF?

TJ

TJ,

I have a very good understanding of depth of field and 'correct' on camera settings. I like to shoot at the correct depth of field for my subject without compromising focus to create blurred backgrounds. Also, everyone makes the assumption that we all want blurred backgrounds and that is not always the case. If you have a small studio and you need or want to shoot at f/8 or f/9 with 6 feet from subject to background then you're not going to get background blur without getting 12 inches from the subject or opening up the lens. So if I want to shoot at f/9 and have to shoot at f/4 that makes no sense.

I want to be in control of the studio and not have the gear control me. If I do background changes a few times during a shoot I don't want to have to think about the big crease that happens to fall right behind my subject's head. I want to be able to work freely and make changes on the fly, using any aperture I need for the desired shot. If I chose to just blur all my backgrounds I'd be locked into using apertures with depth of field that I don't want. To me, that's not giving me the freedom to spontaneously create.

It might work for some but not for me and since I don't have the ability to keep many backgrounds hanging and can't store them rolled up, having a steamer seems like the perfect solution.

Post #7, Feb 21, 2008 10:08:18

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

magicmikey wrote in post #4963961external link
Although I don't own that steamer, there was a discussion about it on another forum. (It's a paid member forum so I can't link you to it.) Basically, they said that the Silverlake steamer is inadequate for muslins. They recommended larger steamers. Here are two that they linked to:

http://www.lnt.com ...steamer&parentPage=​searchexternal link

http://www.costco.com ...opnav=&browse=&lang​=en-USexternal link

Michael

Thank you Michael. I'll take a look. :D

Post #8, Feb 21, 2008 10:09:03

ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Huh, Ive actually never thought of using a steamer to get the wrinkles out of muslin... that sounds like a really good idea. Id go with the costco one so if it ever breaks... well you know the deal.

Post #9, Feb 21, 2008 12:48:55

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

gilbertp1
Hatchling
Joined Jun 2009
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

My girlfriend suggested i turn my shower all the way up on hot water and hang my backdrop over the shower rod. This works amazingly well even on the most stubborn wrinkles. Make sure you turn the nozzel away from the backdrop so it does not get wet. And turn the lights and vent off. This requires litfle effort and is free! Run the shower for about 20-30 minutes. :)

Post #10, Jun 29, 2009 13:52:41

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I've moved on and don't use muslin backgrounds any more but the problem with your suggestion is that it's not practical when you have to switch backgrounds during a shoot or at the last minute. It's not something you can do on the fly or when clients change their mind, which they will undoubtedly do often.

Post #11, Jun 29, 2009 13:59:11 as a reply to gilbertp1's post 6 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-
Joined Nov 2007
15,821 posts
Sacramento, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I think Im going to be buying the Jiffy J-2000 steamer. Amazon has it for $119 shipped no tax. Reviews are impressive. Gonna try one of these instead of an iron for a while. LINKexternal link

Post #12, Jun 29, 2009 17:54:00

[Gear List | Flickrexternal link | My Reviews] /|\ Tripod Leg Protection /|\
GIVE a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. TEACH a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

ben_r_ wrote in post #8196575external link
I think Im going to be buying the Jiffy J-2000 steamer. Amazon has it for $119 shipped no tax. Reviews are impressive. Gonna try one of these instead of an iron for a while. LINKexternal link

Hi Ben,

Please let us know how you like the steamer and how convenient and effective it is for muslins.

Post #13, Jun 29, 2009 18:01:33

c2thew
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2008
3,929 posts
Not enough minerals.
[MORE/SHARE]

wait so what do you use for portable situations? i know seamless paper is a solid way to go, but i've heard that is extremely heavy to tote.

Post #14, Jun 30, 2009 01:28:49

Flickrexternal link |Gear|The-Digital-Pictureexternal link|The $6 mic | MAGIC LANTERNexternal link | Welding Filter
Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!

SkipD
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2002
19,851 posts
Southeastern WI, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Though this thread is old....

I have a "travel" steamer that folds flat, but is basically the same idea as the one linked in the first post. It works just fine for a hanging muslin. It does take a while to get all the wrinkles out, but does the job. I've used it for new shower curtains that have the folds "permanently" set into the fabric as well and the steam does the job of removing those wrinkles.

Post #15, Jun 30, 2009 04:37:32

Skip Douglas
A few cameras and almost 50 years behind them .....
..... but still learning all the time.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
Has anyone tried this steamer for muslin backgrounds?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES