Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #1
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Default Has anyone tried this steamer for muslin backgrounds?

I'm looking into getting a small steamer for my backgrounds to make life easier and eliminate having to iron huge backgrounds on a table. I've never used a steamer and have no idea if they work well and what it takes to make a steamer a good one.

So I'm at the beginning of my research and found this simple inexpensive one. Does anyone have experience with this one or others that are inexpensive? Any recommendations?

I want something that works well, so if it's cheap but doesn't do a great job then I'm not interested. I'll spend a little more to get something that works but don't want to spend more than needed.

http://www.silverlakephoto.com/Jiffy...6733.html#tabs

"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

Last edited by TMR Design : 21st of February 2008 (Thu) at 09:43.
TMR Design is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #2
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Has anyone tried this steamer for muslin backgrounds?

which one? There's no link or picture.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #3
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk911 View Post
which one? There's no link or picture.
Oops. Sorry, the link is there now.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #4
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

thanks, and not that it mattered for me cuz I've never tried a steamer... but this seems like a nice price if it works.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #5
TeeJay
Goldmember

Why do you need a steamer? Surely, if you position your subject a little way from the background, and use the "correct" on-camera settings, you shouldn't notice a few creases 'cos the background will be OOF?

TJ
1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea
TeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #6
magicmikey

Although I don't own that steamer, there was a discussion about it on another forum. (It's a paid member forum so I can't link you to it.) Basically, they said that the Silverlake steamer is inadequate for muslins. They recommended larger steamers. Here are two that they linked to:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Michael
Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #7
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeJay View Post
Why do you need a steamer? Surely, if you position your subject a little way from the background, and use the "correct" on-camera settings, you shouldn't notice a few creases 'cos the background will be OOF?

TJ
TJ,

I have a very good understanding of depth of field and 'correct' on camera settings. I like to shoot at the correct depth of field for my subject without compromising focus to create blurred backgrounds. Also, everyone makes the assumption that we all want blurred backgrounds and that is not always the case. If you have a small studio and you need or want to shoot at f/8 or f/9 with 6 feet from subject to background then you're not going to get background blur without getting 12 inches from the subject or opening up the lens. So if I want to shoot at f/9 and have to shoot at f/4 that makes no sense.

I want to be in control of the studio and not have the gear control me. If I do background changes a few times during a shoot I don't want to have to think about the big crease that happens to fall right behind my subject's head. I want to be able to work freely and make changes on the fly, using any aperture I need for the desired shot. If I chose to just blur all my backgrounds I'd be locked into using apertures with depth of field that I don't want. To me, that's not giving me the freedom to spontaneously create.

It might work for some but not for me and since I don't have the ability to keep many backgrounds hanging and can't store them rolled up, having a steamer seems like the perfect solution.

Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #8
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by magicmikey View Post
Although I don't own that steamer, there was a discussion about it on another forum. (It's a paid member forum so I can't link you to it.) Basically, they said that the Silverlake steamer is inadequate for muslins. They recommended larger steamers. Here are two that they linked to:

http://www.lnt.com/product/index.jsp...entPage=search

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product...se=&lang=en-US

Michael
Thank you Michael. I'll take a look.

Old 21st of February 2008 (Thu)   #9
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

Huh, Ive actually never thought of using a steamer to get the wrinkles out of muslin... that sounds like a really good idea. Id go with the costco one so if it ever breaks... well you know the deal.
Old 29th of June 2009 (Mon)   #10
gilbertp1

My girlfriend suggested i turn my shower all the way up on hot water and hang my backdrop over the shower rod. This works amazingly well even on the most stubborn wrinkles. Make sure you turn the nozzel away from the backdrop so it does not get wet. And turn the lights and vent off. This requires litfle effort and is free! Run the shower for about 20-30 minutes.
gilbertp1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2009 (Mon)   #11
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

I've moved on and don't use muslin backgrounds any more but the problem with your suggestion is that it's not practical when you have to switch backgrounds during a shoot or at the last minute. It's not something you can do on the fly or when clients change their mind, which they will undoubtedly do often.

Old 29th of June 2009 (Mon)   #12
ben_r_
-POTN's Three legged Support-

I think Im going to be buying the Jiffy J-2000 steamer. Amazon has it for $119 shipped no tax. Reviews are impressive. Gonna try one of these instead of an iron for a while. LINK

Last edited by ben_r_ : 29th of June 2009 (Mon) at 17:56.
ben_r_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of June 2009 (Mon)   #13
TMR Design
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben_r_ View Post
I think Im going to be buying the Jiffy J-2000 steamer. Amazon has it for $119 shipped no tax. Reviews are impressive. Gonna try one of these instead of an iron for a while. LINK
Hi Ben,

Please let us know how you like the steamer and how convenient and effective it is for muslins.

Old 30th of June 2009 (Tue)   #14
c2thew
Goldmember

wait so what do you use for portable situations? i know seamless paper is a solid way to go, but i've heard that is extremely heavy to tote.

Go Support Magic Lantern 2.3!!
c2thew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of June 2009 (Tue)   #15
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Though this thread is old....

I have a "travel" steamer that folds flat, but is basically the same idea as the one linked in the first post. It works just fine for a hanging muslin. It does take a while to get all the wrinkles out, but does the job. I've used it for new shower curtains that have the folds "permanently" set into the fabric as well and the steam does the job of removing those wrinkles.
SkipD is online now   Reply With Quote