Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #1
nrupalp

Default How to turn off flash when taking Macro with Rebel XT?

I need to take photographs when I do interior photography with 0-360 adapter for virtual tours. In order for me to take a picture which is in focus i have to take it in macro w/o the flash. Can someone please help me out on this?
nrupalp is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #2
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Default Re: How to turn off flash when taking Macro with Rebel XT?

I assume you are using a tripod. The reason the macro icon works is that it is stopping the lens down enough for adequate depth of field.

Anytime you are stitching you really should be in M mode to keep exposure constant. Try ISO400, f/8 and adjust the shutter speed to center the meter while pointed at a wall that lacks windows. Shoot the room with those settings.

There are better ways overall to set exposure but (no offense) your current level of photographic knowledge makes these methods too difficult to explain fully.

Last edited by JeffreyG : 1st of March 2008 (Sat) at 10:55.
JeffreyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #3
nrupalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffreyG View Post
I assume you are using a tripod. The reason the macro icon works is that it is stopping the lens down enough for adequate depth of field.

Anytime you are stitching you really should be in M mode to keep exposure constant. Try ISO400, f/8 and adjust the shutter speed to center the meter while pointed at a wall that lacks windows. Shoot the room with those settings.

There are better ways overall to set exposure but (no offense) your current level of photographic knowledge makes these methods too difficult to explain fully.
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am not inclined in digital photography but am trying to learn as fast as i can.
I am using tripod and the camera and the lens kit for virtual tour is mounted on it and the camera is pointed up in the middle of the room. if i shoot with your recomended settings, the flash wont go on?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #4
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

To keep the flash from popping up, do not use the green box. Setting things up manually is best, but "P" mode will work as well but yo might get variations in the pics as you pan around.

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #5
JeffreyG
"my bits and pieces are all hard"

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrupalp View Post
Thanks for your reply. Yes, I am not inclined in digital photography but am trying to learn as fast as i can.
I am using tripod and the camera and the lens kit for virtual tour is mounted on it and the camera is pointed up in the middle of the room. if i shoot with your recomended settings, the flash wont go on?
In all of the "creative" zones (Av, Tv, M and P) the flash will only do what you tell it to do.

Green box and all of the icon modes are fully automated and the camera decides on flash. The camera is ignorant of tripod use and thus the disconnect.
JeffreyG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #6
perfect_pixel

You don't need macro for this lens just getting your focus correct. With an SLR it is a pain in the butt and the weight of the lens mounted on top of the SLR lens tends to backdrive it and throw the focus off (try a rubber band around the lens barrel to stop this).

The kit lens works ok with the 0-360 lens, if you are using anything else then just keep an eye on the minimum focus distance which must be around 15cm (?) or less to be able to focus on the mirror.

The simple setup is camera in AV mode, aperture at F8 and manual focus. Bracket your exposures -1,0,+1 which will give you a good chance at having one exposure which works out best for the room and windows. In AV you choose whether the flash fires or not, the user manual describes how to turn it on and off.

Honestly though the XT is not the best camera for this and you are going to spend hours focussing all the time not to mention trying to see through the viewfinder whilst the camera is pointed vertically.

The G series (e.g. G5, G6) are absolutely perfect for it and will store all of your settings (including focus) in the custom modes.

Hope this helps,

Steve

"...Most things in life are moments of pleasure and a lifetime of embarrassment; photography is a moment of embarrassment and a lifetime of pleasure..." ~Tony Benn
perfect_pixel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of March 2008 (Sat)   #7
nrupalp

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfect_pixel View Post
You don't need macro for this lens just getting your focus correct. With an SLR it is a pain in the butt and the weight of the lens mounted on top of the SLR lens tends to backdrive it and throw the focus off (try a rubber band around the lens barrel to stop this).

The kit lens works ok with the 0-360 lens, if you are using anything else then just keep an eye on the minimum focus distance which must be around 15cm (?) or less to be able to focus on the mirror.

The simple setup is camera in AV mode, aperture at F8 and manual focus. Bracket your exposures -1,0,+1 which will give you a good chance at having one exposure which works out best for the room and windows. In AV you choose whether the flash fires or not, the user manual describes how to turn it on and off.

Honestly though the XT is not the best camera for this and you are going to spend hours focussing all the time not to mention trying to see through the viewfinder whilst the camera is pointed vertically.

The G series (e.g. G5, G6) are absolutely perfect for it and will store all of your settings (including focus) in the custom modes.

Hope this helps,

Steve
I appreciate all the help from you guys. I think best bet for me to get a regular camera and not an SLR for ths function. I have a spare Fuji s602 which is compatible with it also and i will give that a shot, i will have to order the adapter i guess.