Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes
Thread started 24 Oct 2004 (Sunday) 20:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Old Sturbridge Village (56K Warning)

Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Oct 24, 2004 20:29 |  #1

The foliage was great, the weather wasn't, and I couldn't find anything.

So I went tourist, and visited Old Sturbridge Village, a recreation of what an 1830's town in Massachusetts would have been like. It was pretty interesting, really. The buildings are either old (some *are* original buildings) or just look very old. Everything was made the old way, by hand tools and such, so it seems quite authentic to say the least.

And they still make things the old way. I watched them making apple cider in a huge press, a process that made me appreciate modern filtering and pastuerization. The blacksmith actually made a Hooked Piece Of Metal, but I am easily interested by such things. The cooper gave a demo of making a barrel, and believe me when I say that it wasn't an easy process! Ugh! Praise the heavens for cardboard, eh?

Their is no doubt that the buildings have an amazing amount of charm, looking/being so old. If I had been there on the correct fall day it would have been a truly beautiful place. Since today was not so imperfect, I implore you to stretch your imagination some.

Also, I'd love to see the place without tourists. They kept getting in my pictures. Grr!

The Grist Mill. I was truly bummed because the wheel wasn't turning.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/GristMill_53894.jpg

The Saw Mill. I missed the demo, but the place would have been full of tourists anyway.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Sawmill_53916.jpg

The Blacksmith making his Hooked Piece Of Metal. And two pictures that show my new-found admiration for hand-holding a 105mm lens at f/2.8 ISO 1600. I actually don't believe that these two shots look this good, I'll have to admit. And at 1/13 shutter the hammer looks cool. I was hoping for sparks flying, but it really was a wimpy Hooked Piece Of Metal.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Blacksmith_53925.jpg
IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Blacksmith_53940.jpg

His Shop. I keep thinking that this picture should have turned out better.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/BlacksmithShop_53950.jpg

The Parson Meeting Hall, I think it was, in the center of the village. I wish that all the trees had looked like this.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Barn_53967.jpg

The Cooper's workshop. This was probably the most picturesque image in the place, so add some extra imagination to this one.

IMAGE: http://www.itsanadventure.com/postimages/Coopers_53920.jpg

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

sponsored links
PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Oct 24, 2004 20:49 |  #2

Wow, Scott, great colors! The foliage colors are vibrant and really very pleasing to ny eyes. I also like the blacksmith shots very much. The almost monochromatic look really does a lot to set the "mood" of the picture. Very well done! :)

...Leo

PacAce
Cream of the Crop
26,853 posts
Joined Feb 2003
ABE, PA USA
Oct 24, 2004 20:55 |  #3

BTW, did you say 105mm handheld at 1/13? Now I'm truly impressed. :shock:

...Leo

Ballen ­ Photo
19,521 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Southern Nevada and Idaho
Oct 24, 2004 21:14 |  #4

Scottes, These are some impressive shots, especially the BlackSmith, at 1/13th sec? WOW!
I really enjoyed these shots.
-Bruce

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:

LazyPhotographer
Goldmember
3,163 posts
Joined Nov 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Oct 24, 2004 21:47 |  #5

Just stunning.... gorgeous, colourful, and the Blacksmith looks right out of a PBS special. Fantastic job!

LazyPhotographer: One who uses a telephoto lens to shoot pictures out the car window or from a balcony. :arrow: No Bird Posts Left Behind, dammit! :twisted:

thomascanty
Bold. Pink.
Gone, but not forgotten.
38,071 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Temporarily Retired
Oct 24, 2004 23:24 |  #6

I absolutely love these shots, especially the first two. Fantastic job!

My name is Lonnie, but I answer to Thomas too.
LDPhotography.netexternal link | Weekly Pioneerexternal link | Facebookexternal link
"Young at heart. Slightly older in other parts."

Eastcoast
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia Canada
Oct 25, 2004 03:56 |  #7

Not a bird or [QUOTE]Norm[/quote] in sight! :lol: :lol:

These are really nice even tho you say there was nothing to shoot. :wink:

1/13 of a second :shock: . Steady hands!

John
Be careful out there!

Tiger1
273 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Tierra Verde, Fl. USA
Oct 25, 2004 06:26 |  #8

:D Scott,

Nice subtle shots that project the changing season. Looks like you avoided the tourists - didn't see any :!:

Gene

Gene
Artist/Photographer/Ar​chitect
1DsMkII, 7D, 10d, SD950IS and - "Oh Yeah" "L" Glass 100-400L, 17-40L www.generizzo.comexternal link

marie
Cream of the Crop
21,057 posts
Joined Jul 2002
Oct 25, 2004 08:34 |  #9

just beautiful
all of them

I especially love the pictures of the blacksmith
the warm tones are gorgeous
the other pictures are a real special treat too

wonderful 8)

regards, Marie
Canon G12, dslr 40D, GIX
Canon lens24-105
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

dtrayers
Goldmember
1,063 posts
Joined Mar 2003
Denmark Township, MN, USA
Oct 25, 2004 09:18 |  #10

I haven't been there in years, Scott. Nice shots.

I especially like the picture of the Cooper's workshop. The last time at Sturbridge I was fascinated by the cooper's process and spent over an hour there. My wife and kids had to drag me out.

-Dave

http://www.trayersphot​ography.comexternal link

Gear List

JZaun
Goldmember
2,488 posts
Joined Jan 2004
Oct 25, 2004 09:31 |  #11

Exellent Scottes, What lens did you use on the outsice ones? we have a place like that 60 miles from here (Williamsburg) all done the old way :)

JZ

Scottes
THREAD ­ STARTER
Trigger Man - POTN Retired
12,842 posts
Joined Nov 2003
A Little North Of Boston, MA, USA
Oct 25, 2004 09:47 |  #12

I'm glad you all liked these. I'd love to go back on a better (blue sky, more foliage) day. Next year...

PacAce: Yeah, 1/13 on 8 or 9 shots, of which 5 are actually usable. I realize now that I must have looked odd, as I was doing my best to scrunch myself into a ball and brace every part of my body against anything available. Since I'm not a small guy I have a hard time scrunching, and I was bracing against some odd items...

Bruce: Thanks. I think the Blacksmith shots are my favorites. And I've always sworn that I'd never take shots of people. Go figure.

Lazy: "PBS Special." !! That's what's been gnawing at the edge of my memory! It's the hat, isn't it? ROFL.

Thomas: Thanks. The grist mill was awesome in it's surrounding, but the people and overcast didn't allow me to really show it off. It's a wonderful building with tons of character.

Eastcoast: Actually, there was a little house sparrow inside the grist mill getting crumbs and ignoring the humans. But it was *so* dark inside, and he ended up flying out after the second flash shot.

Gene: Thanks. Avoiding the tourists wasn't too bad since it was a lousy day. But only once did one of them stop to allow me to shoot. But most of the time I didn't have to wait for more than a minute to get a clean shot.

Marie: Thanks. I also like the tone of the snithie - almost looks like it's lit by the fire.

Dave: The cooper fascinated me too. What an amazing amount of work to go through to make a barrel. It was fascinating.

Jerry: The shots were all a mix of lenses; either the 50mm f/1.8 (rarely) or the 18-55mm kit (usually) and I think that the cooper's shed was the only one with the 105mm macro. I really should have brought the 70-200 in but didn't feel like lugging it around. And Williamsburg would be perfect for this sort of stuff! Yes! And you should have some perfect foliage down there, *and* you get to go on a weekday. I'd love to get down there...

You can take my 100-400 L away when you pry it from my cold, dead fingers.
Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Infoexternal link
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR©

ssim
POTN Landscape & Cityscape Photographer 2005
10,884 posts
Joined Apr 2003
southern Alberta, Canada
Oct 25, 2004 09:57 |  #13

Amazing shots Scott. Those of the blacksmith ae simply fantastic.

:D :D :D

My life is like one big RAW file....way too much post processing needed.
Sheldon Simpson | My Galleryexternal link | My Gear updated: 20JUL12

Molydood
603 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex, UK
Oct 25, 2004 11:07 |  #14

the blacksmith ones are fantastic! I love the colours.

105mm 1/13 :shock:
I did some 1/15 @ 70mm on sunday and I had to lean on something to get them sharp...

My real name is Martin
20D (FS 300D), fifty, 18-55, 70-200 f4, tubes

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,822 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Oct 25, 2004 11:53 |  #15

These are very nice :)

It's great to see you aen't missing out on the Fall Colors Scott.. and waht a great Idea to head to a classic New England village 8)

I notice from these photos that Strubridge has more birds than Cape May :roll: :wink:

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links

4,251 views & 0 likes for this thread
Old Sturbridge Village (56K Warning)
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.