Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #1
markbroom

Default NEW User and Rebel XTI Owner - Tips Anyone???

Ok ladies and gentleman I just bought a brand new XTI that included the 18-55 lens, and I bought seperately the Canon 70-300 lens. I am brand new to DSLR camera's and the terminology, tips, tricks, and of course the entire field. I have had a point and shoot digital for years and have always taken what I thought were great pictures with those. I finally decided to take it to the next level.

I am a fast learner and would love for anyone that has this combination of equipment or anything similar if you would give me or other newbies some tips and tricks that will save us time and headaches.

Thanks you to all that reply...

Mark
markbroom is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #2
bjannsen

Default Re: NEW User and Rebel XTI Owner - Tips Anyone???

Welcome to the forum Mark! You'll love it here. Browse around for a while and you will find all kinds of tips. Use the search engine and you can find tips tailored to the kind of shooting that you do.

There are a few books that are highly recommended around here - Bryan Peterson's 'Understanding Exposure' is a good one. You will also find great suggestions on how to spend all kinds of money.

The main thing is to get out and shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

Have fun!
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #3
gjl711
human (barely) and bribable

Welcome to the forum. Here are a few stickies to get you going. Lots of good info.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=414088

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ad.php?t=53846

I wondered why the baseball was getting bigger, then it hit me
::Flickr::
::Gear::
gjl711 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #4
nutsnbolts
Goldmember

Welcome! My only suggestion is start reading. Understand why you have dSLR or why a dSLR is awesome! From there you'll start learning how to use the camera and learn advantages, as well as, disadvantages of certain lens/camera/etc. and you can go from there.
nutsnbolts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #5
H0LLYW00D

read lots and shoot more, you only get better behind the viewfinder.

H0LLYW00D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #6
billrhea

I know the best thing I did was I bought the 17-85mm IS canon lens. That lens is awesome. I is so much better then the kit lens. Although I have shot some awesome pictures with the kit lens. I think the 17-85mmIS has to be the best walk around lens.
billrhea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #7
nwa2

Post your first shots and invite some constructive criticisum.

http://imagesix.wordpress.com/
nwa2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #8
markbroom

Ok here are some of my first shots.. they were just taken in the house from my chair and I literally didnt move to take them. Sorry I am sort of lazy this time of year.... Please tell me what you all think.. and just remember I am a noob!!!

Last edited by markbroom : 16th of September 2013 (Mon) at 20:55.
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #9
markbroom

Couple more...

Last edited by markbroom : 16th of September 2013 (Mon) at 20:55.
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #10
markbroom

I don't know how to put bigger full size images on here.... I had to edit those with the included software so that I could upload so I can't really tell how much detail was lost in the edit. Thanks for the constructive advice or criticism and the cat's name is BOB!
Old 3rd of March 2008 (Mon)   #11
markbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by billrhea View Post
I know the best thing I did was I bought the 17-85mm IS canon lens. That lens is awesome. I is so much better then the kit lens. Although I have shot some awesome pictures with the kit lens. I think the 17-85mmIS has to be the best walk around lens.

Wow that thing is pretty pricey... I will have to wait a while on that one. With the camera and the additional 70-300 lens I have more than I wanted already in it. I can see that this is a very expensive hobby!!
Old 4th of March 2008 (Tue)   #12
markbroom

Nobody with any constructive criticism on my first shots?? C'mon peeps help me out...
Old 4th of March 2008 (Tue)   #13
Rontech1

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbroom View Post
Nobody with any constructive criticism on my first shots?? C'mon peeps help me out...
Welcome,
They look pretty good to me. As for advice, on my XTi I upped the exposure value 1/3 stop and left it there. It seemed mine took better exposed pictures overall with that setting. You will love the camera.
And your choice of the 70-300IS lens is a good one also. It works very well with that body.
And yeah, look at my sig as for how much you can spend
One question, are you shooting in raw and converting to jpeg, or shooting in jpeg only?
Ron
Rontech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of March 2008 (Tue)   #14
markbroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rontech1 View Post
One question, are you shooting in raw and converting to jpeg, or shooting in jpeg only?
Ron
Ron - at this point I just shot in the auto mode so they were jpeg's I havent braved the other things yet to get to the raw mode settings. I am waiting for the weather to change a little so I can go outside and shoot something besides snow and rain. I plan on setting up a tripod and shooting the same scene in several different modes to see what works and how. I love the fact that the software tells what all the settings were when you took the shot. That will save a bunch of note taking!!!
Old 5th of March 2008 (Wed)   #15
dolfinack

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbroom View Post
Ron - at this point I just shot in the auto mode so they were jpeg's I havent braved the other things yet to get to the raw mode settings. I am waiting for the weather to change a little so I can go outside and shoot something besides snow and rain. I plan on setting up a tripod and shooting the same scene in several different modes to see what works and how. I love the fact that the software tells what all the settings were when you took the shot. That will save a bunch of note taking!!!
Mark, as a fellow newb who only got into this whole thing a year or so ago, I would advise you to take the Manual/Manual approach....

Fire her into 1: full manual and then 2: read that manual!! Its a super steep learning curve, but its way more fun that way. And fun = retained knowledge. Also hang out here, cos these lads and ladies really know their stuff.

Its a good idea to try these out for size.... I'm guessing the Xt is nearly identical to the Xti. If you see past the awful out-of-sync-ness these vids are great for learning.

http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=aixing&p=r