Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #1
shell

Default Anyone work with SharpShooter Imaging?

Got an email about a local Globetrotters game they need photogs for and I have no experience with this company. Any help would be great.
shell is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #2
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Default Re: Anyone work with SharpShooter Imaging?

Sorry, don't have any experience with these folks. Things to think of though:

1. Who retains copyright to the images?
2. Do they have full publication rights?
3. Are you paid a royalty each time the shot is used (I doubt it) or do you get a flat fee?
4. Can you use the images for your own personal use or exhibit?
5. Do they require the full resolution image?
6. How much time do they expect you to invest in the shoot?
7. Regarding time, will you be just shooting or are their meetings to attend?
8. Will you be expected to PP your own shots?

Some of these firms can offer exciting experiences and great access. But many don't pay much in return. You may be paid what seems like a nice flat fee for shooting, but might be expected to be on-call or equally tied up. Ask lots of questions; read the fine print.

Funny they don't have their own pro shooters to do the job. That would give them consistency, reliability and a regular product. Lack of a staff implies to me they don't want to invest much money in their photographic efforts. Remember, Google is your friend - ask around on the web .
sapearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #3
shell

after a little more digging it seems that they do fan photos. you use their equipment...they are basically paying for your time behind the lens. You turn in your camera at the end of the night and they pay you right then.

other than that I can't find anything online regarding opinions on the company...only sites where the company is looking for photogs for ski resorts and rafting trips...

anyone ever heard of a set up like this before?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #4
ChrisRabior

They advertise on craiglist all the time in search of "Sports Photographers" to lure in people that want to be snapping the shutter when aiming at the game itself. They want fan photographers.

Depends on how well they're looking to pay you for the event. It's a pretty easy gig if you do it, but it doesn't pay enough to make it worth most people's time. Basically, they're taking advantage of people who don't know any better.
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #5
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Interesting info Chris - looks like they're searching for entry level shooters who are getting into the business and don't have their own gigs, or just like to shoot for a little cash.

The fact that it's on Craigslist says something right there. I suppose if you have nothing better to do and like that sort of atmosphere, it's not the worst thing for somebody just starting out and making a couple of bucks. I don't imagine they would be handing you high end gear . It almost sounds like some events I'm contracted to shoot where there is DJ providing the music, and he also brings some "dancers" with P&S's to cover the dance floor and put something up on his own website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRabior View Post
They advertise on craiglist all the time in search of "Sports Photographers" to lure in people that want to be snapping the shutter when aiming at the game itself. They want fan photographers.

Depends on how well they're looking to pay you for the event. It's a pretty easy gig if you do it, but it doesn't pay enough to make it worth most people's time. Basically, they're taking advantage of people who don't know any better.
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #6
shell

Thanks for the info...I called and asked about what it was and what equipment they give you to use since it wouldn't be my own gear....he said they use Nikon 50s...I still don't think that I'll be doing it though...the money isn't that great....
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #7
sapearl
emailed Tim some prozac

Sounds like you've checked it out pretty well then - always go to go straight to the source . If you don't mind my asking, out of curiousity what is the pay scale for something like that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shell View Post
Thanks for the info...I called and asked about what it was and what equipment they give you to use since it wouldn't be my own gear....he said they use Nikon 50s...I still don't think that I'll be doing it though...the money isn't that great....
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #8
shell

it was a pittance really IMO for a 4 hours of shooting...even if you are using their equipment.... $60 cash contract. I can appreciate the fact that I wouldn't have to haul my gear down there or set up anything...or worry about any PP...but still...they couldn't do better than $60??
Old 7th of March 2008 (Fri)   #9
ChrisRabior

Sadly, $15/hr is very appealing to a lot of people because of how bad the economy is. They'll definitely fill their quota for shooters based purely on the average person's desperation to make the bills..
Old 30th of March 2010 (Tue)   #10
TheBrick3
Goldmember

If you're still around shell, how did you find contact information? I could really use 15/hr, if it involves photography - even just green box junk, it would be awesome.

Website
TheBrick3 is offline   Reply With Quote