Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 Mar 2008 (Monday) 14:54
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Scott Kelby's lighting gear recommendations

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 10, 2008 14:54 |  #1

NAPP founder, author and Nikon fanboy extraordinare Scott Kelby is filling his blog with recommendations on lighting gear this week, so I thought I'd throw a few links up.

Just be sure to read the whole post. When he says you'll need "Some kind of diffuser to soften and spread the light from their flash," he's not talking Sto-Fen or Fong. He means you need an umbrella!

Day 1: Wedding/Portrait Location Lighting Setup (on a Budget)external link

Day 2external link

Day 3external link
Hold on to your wallet from this point forward...
Day 4external link

Day 5external link

Follow-up Q&Aexternal link Scott answers readers' questions.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

sponsored links
Alexajlex
Goldmember
1,292 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Munciana, Indiana
Mar 10, 2008 14:56 |  #2

Good read.

Gear: 40D | XTi gripped | 85 1.8 | 50 1.8 | Sigma 20 1.8 | Canon 55-250 IS | Tamron 17-50 2.8 | Canon WD-58 WA Converter | 580EX II | Sunpak 383

"Amateurs worry about equipment, pros worry about money, masters worry about light..."

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Mar 10, 2008 14:57 |  #3

Nikon fanboy extraordinare

:lol:

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

slimninj4
Goldmember
1,151 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mar 10, 2008 15:29 |  #4

Well I do agree that the Nikon system is better. I rather use old Nikon Flashes SB-24, 26, 28 for off shoe flash guns.

Canon 40D 5Dm3 || 24-70 L 70-200 2.8 IS2 100mm Macro 50mm 1.8 35 1.4

Zansho
"I'd kill for a hot pink 40D"
Joined Feb 2008
Austin, Tx
Mar 10, 2008 15:35 |  #5

Can we get that link moved to a sticky somewhere? That would be a nice read for a lot of people who are just starting out and might want to learn from that blog. ^^/

..... even if he IS a Nikon fanboy.:lol:

http://www.michaeljsam​aripa.com (external link) creating beautiful images for myself, my clients, and the world. Shooting with a mix of Canon, Fuji, and Sony.

davidfig
we over look the simplest things
3,266 posts
Joined May 2005
Fremont, California USA
Mar 10, 2008 17:43 |  #6

What is the advantage of Nikon Commander mode, it requires the use of the pop-up flash to control the others. What if I don't want straight on pop-up flash? Is the flash output low enough.

Last year I tried this with my friends D70 and it always seemed to be to much flash from the popup.

5D | 17-40L | Tammy 28-75 2.8 | 28-135 | 50/1.8 | 85/1.8 | Sony A6000 2-Lens Kit | SEL35 1.8 | EF 50 1.8 on NEX as my 75mm 1.8

ekie
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
Mar 10, 2008 18:06 as a reply to davidfig's post |  #7

i was at the strobist seminar in orlando a month ago and scott kelby and a couple of other photoshop guys was there also attending. i was certaintly suprised when i heard him introduce himself. cool guys though :D

ekin photographyexternal link | flickrexternal link
... gear list ...

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
3,775 posts
Joined Jan 2006
New York
Mar 10, 2008 20:33 |  #8

davidfig wrote in post #5088371external link
What is the advantage of Nikon Commander mode, it requires the use of the pop-up flash to control the others. What if I don't want straight on pop-up flash? Is the flash output low enough.

Last year I tried this with my friends D70 and it always seemed to be to much flash from the popup.

When in commander mode, the flashes (theoretically, at least) occur before the exposure is made. However, Nikon makes a gizmo that blocks all visible light from the pop-up flash while passing infrared. It's called the SG-3IR.

Dave F.

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Chicagoland
Mar 10, 2008 22:26 as a reply to tetrode's post |  #9

I picked up his Digital Photography book vol. 1 for dirt cheap on a library sale rack for well under $10. Just a great bathroom reader, I'm not joking on this - great book if you are stuck in lines at the airport.

I enjoyed the book so well I paid full price for his vol. 2 of the book that just came out. Nothing earth shaking or brand new, but just some nice quick reads. I imagine his blog will cover most of this. This day one tip was in book no. 2.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 12, 2008 07:05 |  #10

I just added a link to the Day 3 post.

It's apparent that Scott's definition of "on a budget" and mine are rather different. Today he's pushing the Westcott Spyderlites, which he admits require a tripod and are rather useless for toddlers, along with accesories that add up to $726 for a one-light kit. And he calls it "suprisingly affordable"

? :rolleyes:

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

cdifoto
Don't get pissy with me
34,039 posts
Joined Dec 2005
Mar 12, 2008 07:13 |  #11

Curtis N wrote in post #5099355external link

It's apparent that Scott's definition of "on a budget" and mine are rather different. Today he's pushing the Westcott Spyderlites, which he admits require a tripod and are rather useless for toddlers, along with accesories that add up to $726 for a one-light kit. And he calls it "suprisingly affordable"

I think you and I live in the same world, which is separate from Kelby's. To me, a "surprisingly affordable" setup is a light or two that I can get for the price of a prosumer prime, or less, not something that costs more than two B1600s.

In other words, Sunpak + cheap umbrella + stand + adapter bracket = ~$150

Did you lose Digital Photo Professional (DPP)? Get it hereexternal link. Cursing at your worse-than-a-map reflector? Check out this vid!external link

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Chicagoland
Mar 12, 2008 10:03 |  #12

Curtis N wrote in post #5099355external link

That actually is rather budget for pro-level quality anything for a studio. The Spyder lights or DLBF are becoming a very popular type of light all of a sudden. Scott appears to like them more then most however. These same 3 post from him are in his books. Especially vol. 2.

I will have to admit, I am amazed at the number of folks that will drop $1000 on an L lens without thought, but dropping that same amount on studio gear is another story - but in all likely hood will do more for your work then the lens.

Most are likely better off with a $300 lens and $1000 lights instead of the inverse.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

airbutchie
Not too crunchy
Joined Oct 2006
Monrovia, CA
Mar 12, 2008 10:06 |  #13

^ I have a few of his books... Easy reads with helpful tips and suggestions... Add the humor to the mix and you've got yourself a captured reader... Thanks for the "Sticky" on his lighting recommendations!!!

- airbutchie

Hi. My name is Butch...
Complete Gear List | Flickr Vault (external link) | Instagram (external link)

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 12, 2008 11:17 |  #14

MrChad wrote in post #5100286external link
That actually is rather budget for pro-level quality anything for a studio.

Agreed. But the full-time studio shooter istn't Scott's audience. Read the comments to his posts and you realize that the majority of his readers are amateurs looking to take their next step without breaking the bank.

I am amazed at the number of folks that will drop $1000 on an L lens without thought, but dropping that same amount on studio gear is another story - but in all likely hood will do more for your work then the lens. Most are likely better off with a $300 lens and $1000 lights instead of the inverse.

While I would agree that a lot of people fret too much about lens and body rather than lighting, I think the advantages of the higher end lighting equipment have more to do with ease of use than image quality.

MrChad
Goldmember
2,815 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Chicagoland
Mar 12, 2008 14:21 |  #15

Curtis N wrote in post #5100674external link
Agreed. But the full-time studio shooter istn't Scott's audience. Read the comments to his posts and you realize that the majority of his readers are amateurs looking to take their next step without breaking the bank.While I would agree that a lot of people fret too much about lens and body rather than lighting, I think the advantages of the higher end lighting equipment have more to do with ease of use than image quality.

A few flashes, some stands, umbrellas and/or softboxes quickly add up the same price as the Westcott lights. And in the end for some applications it may be a better solution for some and not cost a penny more, and will likely work with any camera or system you own.

That wouldn't hold true so much for a duo or trio of EX or Nikon speedlites. Both have pros and cons.

Kelby is also Mr. Anti umbrella and I disagree, but oh well.

I kaNt sPeL...
[Gear List]

sponsored links

50,395 views & 1 like for this thread
Scott Kelby's lighting gear recommendations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.