Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #1
danpass
Goldmember

Default Printing NASA images.

Can I get these printed at a local/online printer? (i.e. bigger than 8.5x11)

just for personal use.

This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #2
poloman
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Printing NASA images.

I think that you can.
Call Nasa......
Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #3
tomd
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
Can I get these printed at a local/online printer? (i.e. bigger than 8.5x11)

just for personal use.

what NASA images are you referring to? Do you have a link?
Tom
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #4
tomd
Cream of the Crop

Found this:
Using NASA Imagery and Linking to NASA Web Sites10.13.05 Still Images, Audio Files and Video
NASA still images, audio files and video generally are not copyrighted. You may use NASA imagery, video and audio material for educational or informational purposes, including photo collections, textbooks, public exhibits and Internet Web pages. This general permission extends to personal Web pages.

This general permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia logo (the blue "meatball" insignia), the retired NASA logotype (the red "worm" logo) and the NASA seal. These images may not be used by persons who are not NASA employees or on products (including Web pages) that are not NASA sponsored.

If the NASA material is to be used for commercial purposes, especially including advertisements, it must not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services. If a NASA image includes an identifiable person, using the image for commercial purposes may infringe that person's right of privacy or publicity, and permission should be obtained from the person. Any questions regarding application of any NASA image or emblem should be directed to:

Photo Department
NASA Headquarters
300 E St. SW
Washington, DC 20546
Tel: (202)358-1900
Fax: (202)358-4333

Linking to NASA Web Sites

NASA Web sites are not copyrighted, and may be linked to from other Web sites, including individuals' personal Web sites, without explicit permission from NASA. However, such links may not explicitly or implicitly convey NASA's endorsement of commercial goods or services.

NASA images may be used as graphic "hot links" to NASA Web sites, provided they are used within the guidelines above. This permission does not extend to use of the NASA insignia, the retired NASA logotype or the NASA seal.

Restrictions

Please be advised that:

1) NASA does not endorse or sponsor any commercial product, service, or activity.

2) The use of the NASA name, initials, any NASA emblems (including the NASA insignia, the NASA logo and the NASA seal) which would express or imply such endorsement or sponsorship is strictly prohibited.

3) Use of the NASA name or initials as an identifying symbol by organizations other than NASA (such as on foods, packaging, containers, signs, or any promotional material) is prohibited.

4) NASA does permit the use of the NASA logo and insignia on novelty and souvenir-type items. However, such items may be sold and manufactured only after a proposal has been submitted to and approved by a Visual Identity representative from the Public Outreach Division (Phone: 202/358-1750) in accordance with 14 CFR (Code of Federal Regulations) Part 1221. Permission is granted on a nonexclusive basis as it is not NASA's policy to grant exclusive rights to use any of the agency identities.

5) No approval for use is authorized by NASA when the use can be construed as an endorsement by NASA of a product, service or activity.

6) NASA emblems should be reproduced only from original reproduction proofs, transparencies, or computer files available from NASA Headquarters. Please be advised that approval must be granted by a Visual Identity representative from the Public Outreach Division ( Tel: 202/358-1750) before any reproduction materials can be obtained.
tomd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #5
danpass
Goldmember

apparently all NASA pictures are free for personal use (vs commercial) and that the NASA logos have specific restrictions (as compared to the pics)

Most of my pics I found through the mystical powers of the google.

here is the NASA copyright link I found

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/goddard/...copyright.html

Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #6
danpass
Goldmember

lol

I took too long in my searching

Old 13th of March 2008 (Thu)   #7
tomd
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by danpass View Post
lol

I took too long in my searching

Maybe not, I noticed the date on your link is 1-4-06. the post i inserted was dated 10-13-05.
Old 14th of March 2008 (Fri)   #8
Stocky

I think that is the standard for most government images. Army owned photographs are also public domain, and can be used for any non-commercial use.
Stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of March 2008 (Fri)   #9
danpass
Goldmember

For those who are interested here is the link to some big images

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/index.html

These are big. We're talking 3,000x3,000 to 12,000x12,000 pixel images