Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: What exposure mode to you use the most?
Av (Aperture Priority) 571 58.44%
Tv (Shutter Priority) 58 5.94%
M (Manual) 221 22.62%
P (Program) 107 10.95%
Auto (Full Auto - Green Mode) 13 1.33%
One of the Image Zone modes (Sports, Landscape, etc) 7 0.72%
Voters: 977. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #1
dtrayers

Default What's your favorite mode: Av, Tv, Manual, P, or Auto? Why?

I learned about photography many years ago in high school, first with a borrowed Pentax K-1000 and then with a Minolta XG-1. As you may recall, the K-1000 was a manual mode camera and the XG-1 had manual and aperture priority (Av) shooting modes. I then went to a Minolta X-700 for many years until very recently. The X-700 had Manual, Av and P modes.

So, since for a long time I used cameras that offered primary manual or Av modes, I find myself shooting in Av mode or manual with my 10D. I tend to think in aperture priority and think about DOF before I think about freezing the action.

So I'm curious what mode you folks primarily use and why?

http://www.trayersphotography.com

Gear List
dtrayers is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #2
Scottes
Trigger Man - POTN Retired

AV mode almost always - 99.9%,

For birds I just flip to maximum aperture to get as much shutter speed as possible. For my attempts at landscape I'm usually at min aperture for max DoF. For stuff in between I try to guess at DoF to highlight the subject. I haven't yet shot an action shot I gues, or very few.

I do, however, keep an eye on the shutter to get an idea of where I'm at.

Scottes' Rum Pages - Rum Reviews And Info
Follower of Fidget - Joined the cult of HAMSTTR
Scottes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #3
LouDawg

I shoot manual almost exclusively because sports is one of my main areas. I generally keep the aperture at max and the shutter speed at whatever the meter tells me--I keep an eye on the meter all the time and will adjust the shutter as necessary. It just gives me more control over the exposure.

Once in a while I will shoot in Av for sports though, if the light is going to change a lot. For example I was shooting a cross country meet and it was a cloudy day and the sun kept coming in and out so I put the camera on Av with max aperture and let it change the shutter accordingly.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #4
eric1

i take a bit of a different approach. if shooting a moving subject i shoot Tv. stationary subject Av. if i don't like the scenario the camera chooses, i switch to manual. i try not to shoot at maximum aperature, but alot of the time we have no choice.
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #5
eric1

by the way LouDawg, where in il. are you?
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #6
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop

I prefer Av because it gives me immediate control over depth of field. I usually like to shoot in the middle f/stops unless I'm trying to get a particular effect.
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #7
slin100

Outdoors, Av. Indoors, M with flash.
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #8
PacAce

It depends on what I'm shooting and the result I want. I'll use M for macros with flash and most other "controlled situation" shooting. Tv for racing vehicles and planes if I want to stop action or motion blurring. If I need to control DOF or need the wider aperture, I'll use Av. And when I just want to take snapshot pictures without caring about any of the above, I leave the camera on P and just shoot away.

So, I didn't click on any of the buttons because none of them truly shows what mode I use. Too bad there isn't a "all of the above" button.
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #9
Persian-Rice

If I am taking pictures for "****s n' giggles" or something that requires quick shooting AV. For anything else M, it just gives you absolute control.......

I tried auto for the first time in about 3 months, almost made me feel stupid hahaha.

Persian-Rice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of November 2004 (Tue)   #10
Ballen Photo

I voted AV, as thats what I use most of the time, but TV when I want control over movement blur, or shooting with a longer lens.
-Bruce

Ballen Photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of November 2004 (Wed)   #11
IanD
Cream of the Crop
Honorary Moderator

AV 99% of the time for all the reasons mentioned above. I want sharp subject with a nice soft background.
New Image Posting Rules (please read)

IanD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of November 2004 (Wed)   #12
dhbailey

I voted for P, since that is really what I have been shooting in most, but that "most" is a very qualified one. I would say that I use P perhaps 55% of the time, with Tv close second (35%) and am just exploring Av and M more these days (I've only had the camera for 2 weeks).

So I'm not sure if this is a truly fair poll, since from the comments I've read, most people don't shoot in one mode exclusively.
Canon 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 75-300 USM IS
Tamron 28-75 F2.8, 420EX flash
dhbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of November 2004 (Wed)   #13
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006

I am off on holiday for 2 weeks, so I am going to throw a hand grenade in

I bet there are a load of people on here who shoot P or the little green box, and there is no way they are going to admit it

See you when I get back

N
xxx
Old 3rd of November 2004 (Wed)   #14
Jesper
Goldmember

This is not the first time we're having this poll!

My "default" mode is Av, because it allows me to control the depth of field.
I almost always use partial metering on my 10D and I meter for the highlights, and use + exposure compensation to get the exposure I want.
I also use M mode often.

I almost never use Tv and P, and I've never ever used green box or any of the other "dummy" modes.

Canon EOS 5D
EF 24-105 f/4 L IS, EF 70-200 f/4 L IS, EF 35 f/2, EF 50 f/1.8 II, EF 100 f/2.8 Macro USM
Extender EF 1.4x II, Speedlite 550EX
Jesper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of November 2004 (Wed)   #15
Andy_T
Compensating for his small ... sensor

First ... I use a G2, so DOF control is not so much of an issue (unfortunately )

When I'm lazy and there are good shooting conditions, I shoot P. I also turn the dial to 'P' when I turn off the camera, because it has happened to me that a photo occasion arose, I quickly turned on the camera and had some spoilt picture at 1/15 because I had set the camera to AV or M mode without flash.

When I want the camera to avoid the large aperture in order to get a sharp picture (dark shooting conditions), I use AV mode set to f/5.6.

For night shots, I nearly always use manual mode.

The pre-set modes are not an option for me, as they do not support RAW.

Best regards,
Andy
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote