Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 19 Mar 2008 (Wednesday) 22:40
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Flash output consistency observations

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Mar 19, 2008 22:40 |  #1

While testing the output consistency of various flash units for Robert to add to this thread, I decided to also test the consistency of several units using various automatic flash metering systems. I learned a few other things, too.

The first thing I realized was that none of the battery powered flash units were completely recycled when the ready light came on. In consecutive pops, waiting five seconds after the ready light resulted in as much as 4/10 of a stop more power in manual mode, with the greatest differences being at the higher power settings. This was true of every unit I tested, one each of four different brands. The moral of this story is that if you're picky about consistent flash output, you need to be patient and wait for it to recycle completely, especially if you're using full or half power.

My Alienbees B1600 did not exhibit this behavior. Firing it as soon as the ready light came on gave me just as much light as when I waited five more seconds.

The other conclusions I can draw are as follows:
1) Traditional auto mode is more consistent than E-TTL (or E-TTL II). This is not a general indictment of E-TTL, since there are many differences between these two metering systems and the difference in output consistency is not so great that it should preclude us from using E-TTL when conditions dictate.

2) The Canon 580EX II had more consistent output than the other two E-TTL compatible brands I tested. While the performance of the aftermarket brands was not so poor as to consider them junk, it is perhaps a reminder that we get what we pay for. As I conducted the tests, it was apparent that the pre-flash from the 580EX II was significantly more consistent than the others, and it stands to reason that an inconsistent pre-flash will yield inconsistent exposure with E-TTL.

I would caution everyone not to draw more conclusions from the data than I have already mentioned. While my knowledge of statistics is not sufficient to calculate a reasonable margin of error, the data was taken from relatively small samples (10 pops each unit), and measured with a meter that has an accuracy of +/- 0.1 EV and rounds each reading to 0.1 stops.

Testing protocol info:
The E-TTL readings were taken using a Canon 300D, and the E-TTL II readings were taken using a Canon 20D. My Promaster 7500DX is an older version, not compatible with E-TTL II. The camera was on a tripod, aimed at a grey streaked background about 6 feet away. The readings were taken with a Sekonic L-358 meter in cordless flash mode, taped to a stand just in front of the backdrop.

E-TTL and E-TTL II measurements were taken by using Flash Exposure Lock to separate the pre-flash from the exposure flash.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

sponsored links
Titus213
Cream of the Crop
19,400 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Kalama, WA USA
Mar 20, 2008 00:18 |  #2

Thanks for this testing - very interesting. I assume by traditional auto you mean the 'auto-thyristor' mode? And I would have expected the difference between strobes and flash units in the way they dump to give the flash units an edge on quick recycle.

Dave
Perspiring photographer.
Visit NorwoodPhotos.comexternal link

oldfella
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined Jun 2009
uk
Jun 14, 2009 06:31 as a reply to Titus213's post |  #3

Having made several gizmo`s, I can confirm that electronic control of flash is amazing. the first one I got from an electronics book that started me off on this line. It triggers a flash from sound and also light. Hope to post a shot of it shortly. the second one was to count the number of flash`s from the onboard flash then fire a main flash from the second flash.A Casio compact flash that I have fires three flash`s, so I had to redesign the original to fire the main flash on the third flash.

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 11, 2009 00:26 |  #4

Curtis,
Robert and I did flash consistency measurement, where we looked at firing immediately after ready light, and also letting 5 sec. pass before firing. The Metz flashes which I tested were very consistent for both situations; Metz flash units were indeed fully recycled when the ready light came on.

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=5109312&postc​ount=1

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,621 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Traryd, Sweden
Sep 11, 2009 01:28 as a reply to Wilt's post |  #5

I think you are wrong in assuming that one flash is compatible with E-TTl but not E-TTL II. As far as the flash is concerned, there is no difference. The difference between E-TTL and E-TTL II is in the metering and evaluation of the light, and that's done entirely in the camera.

If that old flash doesn't work on newer cameras, it's most probably something else in the protocol it doesn't know about. That's always a risk with 3rd party accessories.

In real world use, when you not always use FEL, you also have to consider the fact that the evaluation of the pre-flash may differ from one occasion to another, in spite of the changes in the image being rather small.

Anders

Wilt
Reader's Digest Condensed version of War and Peace [POTN Vol 1]
39,156 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Aug 2005
Belmont, CA
Sep 14, 2009 10:53 |  #6

Curtis N wrote in post #5151973external link
While testing the output consistency of various flash units for Robert to add to this thread, I decided to also test the consistency of several units using various automatic flash metering systems. I learned a few other things, too.

The first thing I realized was that none of the battery powered flash units were completely recycled when the ready light came on. In consecutive pops, waiting five seconds after the ready light resulted in as much as 4/10 of a stop more power in manual mode, with the greatest differences being at the higher power settings. This was true of every unit I tested, one each of four different brands. The moral of this story is that if you're picky about consistent flash output, you need to be patient and wait for it to recycle completely, especially if you're using full or half power.

From the Canon 580EX owner manual...

Check that the flash is ready.
~ The pilot lamp will first turn green (ready for
quick flash), then red (fully recycled or flash
ready).

~ To fire a test flash, press the pilot lamp.
About Quick Flash
Quick flash enables a flash to be fired before flash-ready, when the pilot lamp
is still green.
Although the Guide No. will be 1/6 to 1/2 that of the full output, quick flash is

effective for near subjects and when you want a shorter recycle time.
Set the drive mode to Single. Quick flash cannot be used in the continuous

shooting, FEB, manual flash, and stroboscopic flash modes.

You need to give me OK to edit your image and repost! Keep POTN alive and well with member support http://photography-on-the.net/forum/donate.p​hp
Canon dSLR system, Olympus OM 35mm system, Bronica ETRSi 645 system, Horseman LS 4x5 system, Metz flashes, Dynalite studio lighting, and too many accessories to mention

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Sep 14, 2009 16:38 |  #7

Wilt wrote in post #8622993external link
Curtis,
Robert and I did flash consistency measurement, where we looked at firing immediately after ready light, and also letting 5 sec. pass before firing. The Metz flashes which I tested were very consistent for both situations; Metz flash units were indeed fully recycled when the ready light came on.

Thanks for that, Wilt.

For clarity, my testing of the 580EX II was done immediately after the ready light turned red, vs. 5 seconds after it turned red.

Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

kylefornia
184 posts
Joined Nov 2009
Canton, Ohio
Dec 02, 2009 18:42 |  #8

I'd be interested to see how nikon flashes compare. oh wait is that a forbidden word around here. hope my account doesn't get deleted.

4x5 Speed Graphic Pacemaker | Pentax 67 w/ 105mm ƒ/2.4 | Mamiya Universal w/ Pola back | Polaroid SX-70 | Yashica-Mat 124 | Ricoh Diacord L | Canon AE-1 | Minolta XG-M | gripped 5d mkiii |17-35 ƒ/2.8 | 35L | 50L | 85L ii | 135L | 70-200 ƒ/2.8L IS | Alienbee Strobes | RadioPopper JrX Studio Remotes | Nikon Speedlites

Curtis ­ N
THREAD ­ STARTER
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Dec 02, 2009 19:13 |  #9

Get off your butt, do your own testing and post the results.

POTN members discuss other brands often. This won't jeapardize your account. Some have been banned for terminal stupidity, however.

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
1,825 posts
Joined Oct 2010
Charlottesville, VA
Dec 27, 2011 08:39 |  #10

Here's a page nicely showing the change in flash output depending on the state of charge, for the 430EZ:

http://www.chem.helsin​ki.fi ...sh-discharge/redwait.htmlexternal link

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

sponsored links

7,554 views & 0 likes for this thread
Flash output consistency observations
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.