Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of November 2004 (Sat)   #1
Gators300

Default ProMaster Lens Good Quality??

I went to the camera store today and looked for a 75-300 telephoto. I saw the Canon one with IS and a Promaster one for half the price. I took some pics with both, but they were indoor, and the quality seemed nearly identical. If anyne know how this particular lens handles overall, especially outside, I could really use the help. If the difference isn't that great, then I think I could use the extra $200 for other accessories. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Chris
Gators300 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of November 2004 (Sat)   #2
blinking8s

do you have the pictures to show?
blinking8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of November 2004 (Sat)   #3
CanonUser

ProMaster lens are rebadged Sigmas or Tokinas, usually a generation behind the current version. I believe the 75-300 is a Tokina lens. Check the physical images and optical grouping of both lens to match them up, then read the Tokina (or Sigma) review.

Regards,
CanonUser is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of November 2004 (Mon)   #4
Gators300

I don't have the pics anymore, but I can't seem to find the equivalent lens you all are talking about. Does anyone own a ProMaster lens or should I just dish out the extra cash for the Canon lens? How about a 75-300 Sigma lens? Are they good?

Chris
Gators300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of November 2004 (Mon)   #5
mdude85

All lenses from all companies are hit and miss -- this is to say that some lens models are good and some are bad. There are certainly worthwhile Promaster lenses and cruddy Promaster lenses.

I believe Promaster lenses are also marketed under the Vivitar name. I have one Vivitar 1 Series Lens (equivalent to the L series from Canon) that I am really smitten with ... I believe it is sharper than the 50 mm 1.8 even at high aperture. It is the 19-35mm and satisfies my wide angle needs at an affordable cost. I posted a small test several weeks ago at the FredMiranda forums and may consider reposting another one here when I get the time. In any event, the performance of the 19-35 is no indicator of the performance of the telephoto lenses from this company or any other company that shares its parts. I think you should do some tests with both the lenses to determine which one you like better. My point is from personal experience is not to discount third party brands like Promaster, Cosina, and even more well known ones like Tokina, Tamron, or Sigma ... they make very excellent gems that stack up quite nicely with the best from Canon L, if you know what you're looking for.
mdude85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of November 2004 (Tue)   #6
CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)

In a word .. no.

I doubt "Promaster" are Sigma or Tokina.. more likely Cosina, Vivitar and Pheonix.
CyberDyneSystems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #7
Bainsworth

Default Re: ProMaster Lens Good Quality??

Promaster lenses are made by a variety of manufacturers Tamron, Sigma, Tokina are all in the mix the Pro lenses are not a generation behind the prices savings is generated by no manufacturer or vendor having to pay to advertise & sell the lenses (usually better than 20% of the lens cost) The benefit is saving to you. The other great thing about Promaster lenses is they have lifetime warranties.
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #8
gkarris

I was able to take a peek at a salesperson looking at the ProMaster website for dealers and I saw that a $200 MSRP lens costs them $50...
gkarris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #9
Mark1
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude85 View Post

I believe Promaster lenses are also marketed under the Vivitar name. I have one Vivitar 1 Series Lens (equivalent to the L series from Canon)

I thought the Series 1 were their budget lens. I had one and was glad to get rid of it.

www.the6by6frame.wordpress.com
Mark1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #10
tkbslc
Cream of the Crop

Back from the dead - just in time for halloween!!
tkbslc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #11
fr0natz

I did a review of the Promaster (tamron) 17-50 f2.8 in comparison to the 50 f1.8 prime. Im very happy with it for the $300 I paid.
430ex
fr0natz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #12
joooowan

i just pulled up this 17-50 from promaster, looks identical to tamron

http://www.promaster.com/products/pr...ct=AF1750XREDO
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #13
Sam|McGuire

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdude85 View Post
I have one Vivitar 1 Series Lens (equivalent to the L series from Canon)
I think the red ring is the only similarity between the two.
Sam|McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #14
nureality
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark1 View Post
I thought the Series 1 were their budget lens. I had one and was glad to get rid of it.
Vivitar Series 1 of the 70's = good stuff, Vivitar Series 1 AF stuff = garbage, Vivitar Series 1 New stuff - 7mm f/3.5, 85mm f/1.4 = good, Vivitar Series 1 Mirror lenses = mirror lenses... i.e. junk.

The Promasters (GOD, that name is a misnomer) are generally Tamron, Sigma, and Tokina (news to me) rebadges and you can pretty much tell immediately which it is, because the lens design/barrel/finish is the same as the original. The ProMaster brand is kind of a house brand of Wolf Camera/Ritz Camera. With Ritz closing down so many stores 6 months ago, I thought we'd seen the last of ProMaster, but it seems it won't die just yet.

The difference between a ProMaster 75-300 and a Canon 70-300 IS is quite a bit, if the price difference is $200 only, its a bargain to get the Canon, and that particular ProMaster is overpriced. The 70-300IS is like a $600 lens, the ProMaster should be $200.
nureality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of October 2009 (Wed)   #15
craig_xB

Anyone know who makes the Promaster flash units?
I have one, works great, just curious.