Quick and easy border action/tutorial for PS

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 28 Mar 2008 (Friday) 14:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

there are too many steps in that..

start recording
1. The first border --- Image>Canvas Size -- click the Relative box and put 2px in for height and width, you'll see at the bottom of the dialogue box there's a box at the bottom for Canvas Extension Color, Select Black, hit ok

2. The second border --- Image>Canvas Size -- put 6px in both boxes and choose White for the Canvas Extension Colour, hit ok

3. The third border --- Image>Canvas Size -- put 50px in both boxes and choose Black for the Canvas Extension Colour, hit ok

Additional - before you do the above

1. resize image from high res -- File>Automate>Fit Image.. put 742 in both height and width (742, as alot of sites prefer 800px as the largest pixel size, if you choose 800, then the time you've added the border you'll be @ 850px)

2. Sharpening -- Filter>Sharpen>Sharpen, then

3. Edit>Fade Sharpen (60%, mode luminosity)

Post #31, Jul 02, 2008 04:28:57

Robert Whettonexternal link Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hoodexternal link | Gear | Tweetexternal link | Google+external link | Get your focus spot onexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
coalcliff
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
3,515 posts
On the coast, near Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Bob... much easier for me but where is your music? lol.

Post #32, Jul 02, 2008 17:48:37

My Gear
[SIZE=2]Damian:cool::shock::grin: More you learn the more you can forget.

barosborough
Joined Jul 2007
546 posts
Milwaukie, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Bob, I agree that your way is quicker if you are just using black and white. But if you want full control over color then the op is nice. Canvas Size only allows you to use Black, White, or Grey. Just something to think about if you are going to record more actions in different colors.

Bobster wrote in post #5833067external link
there are too many steps in that..

start recording
1. The first border --- Image>Canvas Size -- click the Relative box and put 2px in for height and width, you'll see at the bottom of the dialogue box there's a box at the bottom for Canvas Extension Color, Select Black, hit ok

2. The second border --- Image>Canvas Size -- put 6px in both boxes and choose White for the Canvas Extension Colour, hit ok

3. The third border --- Image>Canvas Size -- put 50px in both boxes and choose Black for the Canvas Extension Colour, hit ok

Additional - before you do the above

1. resize image from high res -- File>Automate>Fit Image.. put 742 in both height and width (742, as alot of sites prefer 800px as the largest pixel size, if you choose 800, then the time you've added the border you'll be @ 850px)

2. Sharpening -- Filter>Sharpen>Sharpen, then

3. Edit>Fade Sharpen (60%, mode luminosity)

Post #33, Jul 06, 2008 14:41:16

Aaron
Rosborough Photography Portland, OR Portrait Photographerexternal link
Portland Senior Portraits Senior Portrait Photographerexternal link
Portland Portrait Photographer Family Portrait Photographer, Portland Oregonexternal link

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

barosborough wrote in post #5859925external link
Bob, I agree that your way is quicker if you are just using black and white. But if you want full control over color then the op is nice. Canvas Size only allows you to use Black, White, or Grey. Just something to think about if you are going to record more actions in different colors.

i guess you're using a different version of Photoshop to me then, because i can select any colour i like :)

Post #34, Jul 06, 2008 17:17:42

Robert Whettonexternal link Dorset Portrait & Events Photographer | Photoshop Guru
DIY Monitor Hoodexternal link | Gear | Tweetexternal link | Google+external link | Get your focus spot onexternal link

coalcliff
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
3,515 posts
On the coast, near Sydney, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I made this using Bobster's "borders for dummies" technique it is very easy.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #35, Jul 07, 2008 08:07:24

My Gear
[SIZE=2]Damian:cool::shock::grin: More you learn the more you can forget.

sponsored links
TheReal7
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
3,574 posts
S.E. Manitoba, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Awesome Bobster. Another quick easy way to make borders. Although limited if you wanted to add beveled edges and stuff like that but still great. Thanks for adding.

Post #36, Jul 07, 2008 15:07:47

Follow me on Facebook: Natural Light Magicexternal link
Listen to my music: Fata Morganaexternal link

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

TheReal7 wrote in post #5866733external link
Although limited if you wanted to add beveled edges and stuff like that but still great. Thanks for adding.

hey, the title says Quick and Easy ;)

Post #37, Jul 07, 2008 15:49:08

offtheroad
Joined Jul 2006
253 posts
Albuquerque, New Mexico
[MORE/SHARE]

Very nice image.
I'm looking for a nice action for white museum quality beveled mats. Nothing colored They could have a black trim but of the quality you would see in a museum as opposed to arts & crafts.I'm using a Mac pro Intel, 5GB RAM Leopard 10.5.4 Photoshop CS3. Photographing with a Canon 5D and saving into Apple Aperture 2.1 Thank You.
jbechdel@comcast.net

Post #38, Jul 10, 2008 18:07:32

"You don't know how far you can go, untill you've gone too far."

barosborough
Joined Jul 2007
546 posts
Milwaukie, OR
[MORE/SHARE]

Bobster wrote in post #5860673external link
i guess you're using a different version of Photoshop to me then, because i can select any colour i like :)

I guess your right :oops:. Thanks for setting me straight.

Post #39, Jul 11, 2008 17:24:14

Aaron
Rosborough Photography Portland, OR Portrait Photographerexternal link
Portland Senior Portraits Senior Portrait Photographerexternal link
Portland Portrait Photographer Family Portrait Photographer, Portland Oregonexternal link

Bobster
Goldmember
Joined May 2006
4,847 posts
Dorset, England
[MORE/SHARE]

we learn something new every day ;)

Post #40, Jul 18, 2008 19:27:52

newatthis
Joined Sep 2008
500 posts
where the piece pipe is a part of the flag....
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for sharing!! So much easier when you say it then when I try to figure it out alone! lol Okay, heres my go. New to PS (CS2) and was playing with this pic before I ran into this!!...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos.

Post #41, Oct 14, 2008 23:42:49

Christa :)
With enough courage, you can do without a reputation. CG

sponsored links
shilophoto
Joined Jun 2006
225 posts
NB Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

wow ! that was easy ,, thank's :)

Post #42, Oct 15, 2008 00:28:55

flaneur
Joined Sep 2008
20 posts
Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for this tutorial. I am officially an action junkie now.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://farm4.static.fl​ickr.com ...81865391_1031b32027​_o.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Post #43, Nov 03, 2008 11:48:56

flaneur
Joined Sep 2008
20 posts
Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

cvt01 wrote in post #5314235external link
Probably this is an easy to answer question but I just don't get how do you keep the proportions of an image with this border. I mean if I have a 6x4 image and I add the border to it with the technique described it will throw the proportions out since you adding the same amount of pixels to both the height and the width of the image. It wont be a 6x4 image anymore so it wont print nicely on a 6x4 paper...

Depends on whether you want the border to print on the 6x4. If you do, then for a border 25px on each side, subtract 50px from each dimension in image resize, then add 50px to each dimension (from the center) in canvas resize.

If you don't want the border on the 6x4, then you'd need to save multiple copies with and without the border. The action I set up (based off this thread) saves my original size as a PSD, a borderless copy as a JPG, and a framed copy as another JPG. All with a single button press :cool:

Post #44, Nov 03, 2008 12:01:12

flaneur
Joined Sep 2008
20 posts
Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

MG30D wrote in post #5831965external link
^how is this done....does any one know? I understand it's probably just a simple white layer over the photo, but how do you create the cut outs?

(I'm referring to the attached image from above)

Forgive the delayed response, but nobody else has answered this. It is probably indeed a white layer above the photo. To create the cut outs, use the selection tool at a fixed ratio. Then hit the delete key or edit > cut to show part of the layer beneath. It helps to reduce transparency of the white layer on the layers palette, so you can see the layer underneath as you cut.

Incidentally, this is the same way you matte pictures to oval shapes, etc, but that would probably be a topic for another thread.

Post #45, Nov 03, 2008 12:14:58

LIST NEARBY THREADS
37,388 views & 0 likes for this thread
Quick and easy border action/tutorial for PS
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES