Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read



Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #1
forsakenme720
Member
 
forsakenme720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 910
Default Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Is there any such list, or can people post their experiences? It's really easy to find out which canon lenses are good or bad for IR, but not the third party lenses. Thanks in advance.

Dave
__________________
Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8

forsakenme720 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #2
gasrocks
Cream of the Crop
 
gasrocks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Portage, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 13,224
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1

Not sure it this helps you or not. Nikon lenses can be used with an adapter on Canon bodies and this reviewer gives IR results for each lens.
__________________
GEAR LIST
__________________
gasrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #3
argyle
Cream of the Crop
 
argyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Try searching this forum archives...I recall a thread from some time ago that listed Canon and some third-party lenses that worked/didn't work with an IR-converted body.
__________________
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST
argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #4
forsakenme720
Member
 
forsakenme720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 910
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
Try searching this forum archives...I recall a thread from some time ago that listed Canon and some third-party lenses that worked/didn't work with an IR-converted body.
Believe me; I searched. I never ask a question without researching first. I've been here for quite some time; I'm not a slacker. Anyway, I've seen lots of lists. At most, they'll list 1 or 2 sigma or tamron lenses. I'm looking for something extensive. Thanks though.

Dave

Edit: you know what, I take that back. There is one list that shows more 3rd party lenses, but it doesn't show the ones I was looking for so that's why I didn't notice them so much before.
__________________
Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8


Last edited by forsakenme720 : 29th of March 2008 (Sat) at 21:03.
forsakenme720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #5
forsakenme720
Member
 
forsakenme720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 910
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasrocks View Post
http://www.naturfotograf.com/lens_surv.html#top1

Not sure it this helps you or not. Nikon lenses can be used with an adapter on Canon bodies and this reviewer gives IR results for each lens.
Not really interested in Nikon. Thanks though. I appreciate it.

Dave
__________________
Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8

forsakenme720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #6
argyle
Cream of the Crop
 
argyle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: DFW, Texas
Posts: 8,171
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsakenme720 View Post
I've been here for quite some time; I'm not a slacker.

Dave

Edit: you know what, I take that back. There is one list that shows more 3rd party lenses, but it doesn't show the ones I was looking for so that's why I didn't notice them so much before.
Wasn't implying that you're a slacker...anyway, this is the thread that I was referring to (just click on the link in the very first post). If you have already seen this list, then just ignore it:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...light=Infrared
__________________
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son". - Dean Wormer

GEAR LIST
argyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #7
chainz
Member
 
chainz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ballarat, Victoria. Australia
Posts: 421
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Fixed focal length

Recommended for IR:
Asahi Super-Takumar 55 mm f/1.8 MF (*)
Canon EF 28 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 35 mm f/2.0 (*)
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 MKI
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 MKII
Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 macro
Canon EF 135 mm f/2.0 L
Lensbaby 50 mm f/2.8
Nikon 20 mm f/2.8 D
Nikon 20 mm f/3.5 AI-S
Nikon 28 mm f/3.5 PC AI-S
Nikon 85 mm f/1.8 Pre-AI MF (*)
Peleng 8 mm fisheye
Phoenix 100 mm f/3.5 macro
Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 EX DG macro (*)
Vivitar 24 mm f/2.8 MF (*)

May produce a hot spot, etc.:
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 200 mm f/2.8 L

Gives hot spot:
Canon EF 20 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 24 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4
Canon EF 50 mm f/2.5 macro
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50 mm f/1.4 (for Contax)
Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8 D
Sigma 30 mm f/1.4

Zoom

Recommended for IR:
Canon EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4 L
Canon EF 24-70 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4.0 L
Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.0-5.6 IS L
Nikon 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 G AF-S ED DX
Nikon 24-70 mm f/2.8 ED G AF-S
Nikon 24-70 mm f/3.5-5.6 UC
Nikon 35-70 mm f/2.8 AF-D
Nikon 35-70 mm f/3.3-4.5 AF (1986) (*)
Nikon 35-135 mm f/3.5-4.5 AF
Nikon 70-210 mm f/4.0-5.6 AF-D
Nikon 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED AF-S VR
Sigma 12-24 mm f/4.5-5.6 EX
Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (*)
Sigma 55-200 mm f/4.0.5.6 DC (*)

May produce a hot spot, etc.:
Nikon 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED DX
Sigma 10-20 mm f/4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM (*)
Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8

Gives hot spot:
Canon EF 16-35 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 24-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-70 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 35-80 f/4.0-5.6
Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L IS
Nikon 12-24 mm f/4.0 G IF ED AF-S DX
Sigma 18-50 mm f/2.8 EX
Tamron 17-35 mm f/2.8-4.0 SP AF Di
Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di
Tamron 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 AF XR (IF) Di-II
Tamron 70-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 AF LD macro
Tokina 12-24 mm f/4.0
__________________
Daniel Magee
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 24-70 2.8, Canon 50mm 1.8 MK II, Canon 430ex

chainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #8
forsakenme720
Member
 
forsakenme720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 910
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by argyle View Post
Wasn't implying that you're a slacker...anyway, this is the thread that I was referring to (just click on the link in the very first post). If you have already seen this list, then just ignore it:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...light=Infrared
Oh, I know you weren't implying that. I just didn't want anyone thinking it

I did see that link, thanks though.

Dave
__________________
Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8

forsakenme720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #9
forsakenme720
Member
 
forsakenme720's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 910
Default Re: Sigma and Tamron lenses suitable / not suitable for IR

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainz View Post
Fixed focal length

Recommended for IR:
Asahi Super-Takumar 55 mm f/1.8 MF (*)
Canon EF 28 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 35 mm f/2.0 (*)
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 MKI
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 MKII
Canon EF 100 mm f/2.8 macro
Canon EF 135 mm f/2.0 L
Lensbaby 50 mm f/2.8
Nikon 20 mm f/2.8 D
Nikon 20 mm f/3.5 AI-S
Nikon 28 mm f/3.5 PC AI-S
Nikon 85 mm f/1.8 Pre-AI MF (*)
Peleng 8 mm fisheye
Phoenix 100 mm f/3.5 macro
Sigma 105 mm f/2.8 EX DG macro (*)
Vivitar 24 mm f/2.8 MF (*)

May produce a hot spot, etc.:
Canon EF 85 mm f/1.8
Canon EF 200 mm f/2.8 L

Gives hot spot:
Canon EF 20 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 24 mm f/2.8
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.4
Canon EF 50 mm f/2.5 macro
Carl Zeiss Planar T* 50 mm f/1.4 (for Contax)
Nikon AF 50 mm f/1.8 D
Sigma 30 mm f/1.4

Zoom

Recommended for IR:
Canon EF-S 10-22 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 17-40 mm f/4 L
Canon EF 24-70 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 28-135 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS
Canon EF 70-200 mm f/4.0 L
Canon EF 75-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 IS
Canon EF 100-400 mm f/4.0-5.6 IS L
Nikon 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 G AF-S ED DX
Nikon 24-70 mm f/2.8 ED G AF-S
Nikon 24-70 mm f/3.5-5.6 UC
Nikon 35-70 mm f/2.8 AF-D
Nikon 35-70 mm f/3.3-4.5 AF (1986) (*)
Nikon 35-135 mm f/3.5-4.5 AF
Nikon 70-210 mm f/4.0-5.6 AF-D
Nikon 70-300 mm f/4.5-5.6 G IF ED AF-S VR
Sigma 12-24 mm f/4.5-5.6 EX
Sigma 18-50 mm f/3.5-5.6 DC (*)
Sigma 55-200 mm f/4.0.5.6 DC (*)

May produce a hot spot, etc.:
Nikon 18-70 mm f/3.5-4.5 AF-S G ED DX
Sigma 10-20 mm f/4.0-5.6 EX DC HSM (*)
Sigma 70-200 mm f/2.8

Gives hot spot:
Canon EF 16-35 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6
Canon EF 24-85 mm f/3.5-4.5 USM
Canon EF 28-70 mm f/2.8 L
Canon EF 35-80 f/4.0-5.6
Canon EF 70-200 mm f/2.8 L IS
Nikon 12-24 mm f/4.0 G IF ED AF-S DX
Sigma 18-50 mm f/2.8 EX
Tamron 17-35 mm f/2.8-4.0 SP AF Di
Tamron 17-50 mm f/2.8 SP AF XR Di
Tamron 18-200 mm f/3.5-6.3 AF XR (IF) Di-II
Tamron 70-300 mm f/4.0-5.6 AF LD macro
Tokina 12-24 mm f/4.0
Hey, thanks for that. I think that's about all the lenses listed I've seen on the net combined in one list.

I can add a couple to this:

Canon 70-300mm IS (NON DO) has no hot spot

Tamron 28-75mm f2.8 gives a bad hotspot

And contrary to what I've seen posted everywhere, the Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro lens does have a hotspot.

Thanks again,
Dave
__________________
Cameras: Canon 20D, Canon Rebel XT (converted to infrared)
Lenses: Canon 17-40mm f4L; Tamron 28-75mm f2.8; Canon 10-22mm f3.5-4.5; Canon 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS Sigma 105mm f2.8 macro; Canon 85mm f1.8

forsakenme720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
I am not sure if these are suitable..... Photogirl2007 Macro 6 30th of September 2007 (Sun) 08:57
Kit Lenses - what are suitable alternatives? willstar Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 13 18th of September 2007 (Tue) 17:40
Lenses suitable for IR Anders Östberg Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 0 31st of May 2006 (Wed) 14:16
Suitable lenses rhys Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 1 30th of May 2006 (Tue) 22:17
Sigma 600mm F8 Mirror suitable for 10D? nucki Canon EOS Digital Cameras 6 7th of January 2004 (Wed) 12:47


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:36.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.12
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
This forum is not affiliated with Canon in any way and is run as a free user helpsite by Pekka Saarinen, Helsinki Finland. You will need to register in order to be able to post messages. Cookies are required for registering and posting. HTML in messages is not allowed, plain website addresses are automatically made active by the board.