Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 29th of March 2008 (Sat)   #1
aostling

Default effect of G7/G9 converter menu settings

The Record menu has three settings under Converter: (1) WC-DC58B, (2) TC-DC58C, (3) none.

I have the WC-DC 58B, and (except for its size and weight) really love it. But it's a pain to have to set the Converter menu, then set it back to none when I revert to normal shooting. And why bother? There is no difference in the recorded image, no matter what the setting selected.

I've searched the Forum for an answer to this recurring question. Nobody seems to know what the Converter settings actually do. The Canon manual gives no clue.

So I thought I'd start the thread again, this time with a title which should be a magnet for future discussions of this topic. Somebody must know the answer.

The question also pertains to the A-series cameras, such as the A570. This also has the Converter menu.
aostling is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #2
Aweitzel

Default Re: effect of G7/G9 converter menu settings

I find if i leave my camera on the TC setting, it tends to take longer to focus on closer objects, if it focus at all.
If its a pain, i belive you can just use one of the two personal settings set for the WC. I use one for the TC, and one for Mirco settings.
Aweitzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #3
MDino

You could program the converter under the shortcut button. Than the trouble of resetting is virtually non existing

- 40D| 17-55 f2.8| 70-200 f4| Σ 30 f1.4 - S90 - Olympus OM-4ti | 28 f3.5| 50 f1.4| 135 F3.5 -
-580EXII| 430EX (Manual mode beyond repair)| 2x 540EZ| Sunpack PZ40x
MDino is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #4
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDino View Post
You could program the converter under the shortcut button.
The G7/G9 shortcut button has access to 11 functions, but the Converter menu setting is not one of them.
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #5
MDino

Quote:
Originally Posted by aostling View Post
The G7/G9 shortcut button has access to 11 functions, but the Converter menu setting is not one of them.
After a quick check of the shortcut options, followed by a search through the manual, I must, with great sadness, agree with you. There is a option called ' digital tele converter'. I had the illusion that this was actually for the tele converter lens :P

That the only option left is to program c1/c2 with the appropriate converter. Or maybe it is something for a firmware update

- 40D| 17-55 f2.8| 70-200 f4| Σ 30 f1.4 - S90 - Olympus OM-4ti | 28 f3.5| 50 f1.4| 135 F3.5 -
-580EXII| 430EX (Manual mode beyond repair)| 2x 540EZ| Sunpack PZ40x
MDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of March 2008 (Sun)   #6
aostling

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDino View Post
That the only option left is to program c1/c2 with the appropriate converter. Or maybe it is something for a firmware update
Yes, but I'm not going to waste a custom setting until I know what the Converter settings accomplish (if anything).
Old 31st of March 2008 (Mon)   #7
rpolitsr

I can not say what the converter settings do in the G9, but as a clue I can describe what they do on my Pro1:
  • none (Standard): full zoom range (28mm – 200mm) available.
  • TC-DC58A (Tele-converter): zoom range limited to 135mm – 200mm.
    This prevents vignetting which occur in the 28mm – 135 mm range
  • 500D (Close-up Lens): zoom fixed at max. (200 mm ) tele.
    This is the recommended setting when using the Close-up Lens.

I have not detected changes while focusing.

I am almost sure that, if I manually use the zoom within the described ranges, I can leave the converter setting set to ‘none’ without adverse effects.

Canon powershot Pro1, EOS RebelXT, EF-S 18-55mm II, speedlite 420EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleries

"PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED."
rpolitsr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31st of March 2008 (Mon)   #8
aostling

On the G7 and A570IS (two cameras which I own) the Converter menu settings impose no limitations on the zoom range. It would make sense if they did limit the zoom, as you describe for the Pro 1. That's what I would have expected, but somehow that didn't get programmed onto the chip.
Old 31st of March 2008 (Mon)   #9
aostling

Looks like I'm talking to myself, here.

I still do not know exactly what the Converter menu setting accomplishes, but I have a new clue. The User Guide implies that the menu selections are implemented when the camera is in IS mode. And in fact I now can see that when IS is selected the screen icon changes, depending on IS mode and Converter menu setting.

So it may be that the Converter setting is used only to affect the Image Stabilization controller.
Old 3rd of April 2008 (Thu)   #10
pr photos

I can't remember where I read about this. But I thought selecting the wide or teleconverter setting was to allow the image stabilization to work correctly. The amount of image stabilization used by the camera depends on the focal point of the lens.
pr photos is offline   Reply With Quote