FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Thread started 29 Mar 2008 (Saturday) 23:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

aostling
Joined Mar 2008
79 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

The Record menu has three settings under Converter: (1) WC-DC58B, (2) TC-DC58C, (3) none.

I have the WC-DC 58B, and (except for its size and weight) really love it. But it's a pain to have to set the Converter menu, then set it back to none when I revert to normal shooting. And why bother? There is no difference in the recorded image, no matter what the setting selected.

I've searched the Forum for an answer to this recurring question. Nobody seems to know what the Converter settings actually do. The Canon manual gives no clue.

So I thought I'd start the thread again, this time with a title which should be a magnet for future discussions of this topic. Somebody must know the answer.

The question also pertains to the A-series cameras, such as the A570. This also has the Converter menu.

Post #1, Mar 29, 2008 23:49:19

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Aweitzel
Joined Jan 2008
412 posts
Chino hills
[MORE/SHARE]

I find if i leave my camera on the TC setting, it tends to take longer to focus on closer objects, if it focus at all.
If its a pain, i belive you can just use one of the two personal settings set for the WC. I use one for the TC, and one for Mirco settings.

Post #2, Mar 30, 2008 07:23:59

g9, 40d,28-135 kit, 55-250, 430EX, t-50( Yes its film.)
http://www.aweitzelpho​tography.com/external link

MDino
Joined Mar 2008
33 posts
The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

You could program the converter under the shortcut button. Than the trouble of resetting is virtually non existing

Post #3, Mar 30, 2008 10:11:43

Dino
- 40D| 17-55 f2.8| 70-200 f4| Σ 30 f1.4 - S90 - Olympus OM-4ti | 28 f3.5| 50 f1.4| 135 F3.5 -
-580EXII| 430EX (Manual mode beyond repair)| 2x 540EZ| Sunpack PZ40x

aostling
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
79 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

MDino wrote in post #5223479external link
You could program the converter under the shortcut button.

The G7/G9 shortcut button has access to 11 functions, but the Converter menu setting is not one of them.

Post #4, Mar 30, 2008 10:26:47

MDino
Joined Mar 2008
33 posts
The Netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

aostling wrote in post #5223527external link
The G7/G9 shortcut button has access to 11 functions, but the Converter menu setting is not one of them.

After a quick check of the shortcut options, followed by a search through the manual, I must, with great sadness, agree with you. There is a option called ' digital tele converter'. I had the illusion that this was actually for the tele converter lens :P

That the only option left is to program c1/c2 with the appropriate converter. Or maybe it is something for a firmware update

Post #5, Mar 30, 2008 14:44:06

Dino
- 40D| 17-55 f2.8| 70-200 f4| Σ 30 f1.4 - S90 - Olympus OM-4ti | 28 f3.5| 50 f1.4| 135 F3.5 -
-580EXII| 430EX (Manual mode beyond repair)| 2x 540EZ| Sunpack PZ40x

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
aostling
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
79 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

MDino wrote in post #5224704external link
That the only option left is to program c1/c2 with the appropriate converter. Or maybe it is something for a firmware update

Yes, but I'm not going to waste a custom setting until I know what the Converter settings accomplish (if anything).

Post #6, Mar 30, 2008 15:31:10

rpolitsr
Joined Jun 2005
5,457 posts
Quito - Ecuador
[MORE/SHARE]

I can not say what the converter settings do in the G9, but as a clue I can describe what they do on my Pro1:

• none (Standard): full zoom range (28mm – 200mm) available.
  • TC-DC58A (Tele-converter): zoom range limited to 135mm – 200mm.
    This prevents vignetting which occur in the 28mm – 135 mm range
  • 500D (Close-up Lens): zoom fixed at max. (200 mm ) tele.
    This is the recommended setting when using the Close-up Lens.

I have not detected changes while focusing.

I am almost sure that, if I manually use the zoom within the described ranges, I can leave the converter setting set to ‘none’ without adverse effects.

Post #7, Mar 31, 2008 01:13:20

rafael
Canon powershot Pro1, EOS Rebel XT, EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 II, EF 50mm f1.8 II, speedlite 430EX, basic filters set.
My photo galleriesexternal link
"Personal messaging regarding selling or buying items with members who have no posts in forums and/or who you do not know from forums is hereby declared strictly stupid and you will get burned."
Marketplace: PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED IN POTN

aostling
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
79 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

On the G7 and A570IS (two cameras which I own) the Converter menu settings impose no limitations on the zoom range. It would make sense if they did limit the zoom, as you describe for the Pro 1. That's what I would have expected, but somehow that didn't get programmed onto the chip.

Post #8, Mar 31, 2008 02:50:22 as a reply to rpolitsr's post 1 hour earlier.

aostling
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
79 posts
Phoenix, Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

Looks like I'm talking to myself, here.

I still do not know exactly what the Converter menu setting accomplishes, but I have a new clue. The User Guide implies that the menu selections are implemented when the camera is in IS mode. And in fact I now can see that when IS is selected the screen icon changes, depending on IS mode and Converter menu setting.

So it may be that the Converter setting is used only to affect the Image Stabilization controller.

Post #9, Mar 31, 2008 19:45:27 as a reply to aostling's post 16 hours earlier.

pr ­ photos
Hatchling
Joined Mar 2008
4 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I can't remember where I read about this. But I thought selecting the wide or teleconverter setting was to allow the image stabilization to work correctly. The amount of image stabilization used by the camera depends on the focal point of the lens.

Post #10, Apr 03, 2008 04:16:37 as a reply to aostling's post 2 days earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,160 views & 0 likes for this thread
effect of G7/G9 converter menu settings
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon G-series Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES