Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 31 Mar 2008 (Monday) 16:11
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

At what point do you consider yourself a "Professional" photographer?

DucoNihilum
186 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Mar 31, 2008 16:11 |  #1

I've been working for my school newspaper for a while

http://blog.dnpen.comexternal link(for the photos I take for the paper. Let me know what you think if you have time)

but I don't really consider myself a 'professional' photographer yet. It's a college paper, I am getting paid, and I have a press badge and everything- but I wouldn't consider myself a 'pro' yet, maybe a 'semi-pro'. At what point would you guys consider yourself a pro?

~DucoNihilum
Canon EoS 20D
EFS 18-55mm Kit lens, EF 50mm 1.8, EF 28-105 II USM f3.5/4.5
Crappy tripod, Sigma EF Super flash, POTN strap.

sponsored links
cosworth
I'm comfortable with my masculinity
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Duncan, BC, Canada
Mar 31, 2008 16:19 |  #2

When you make %50.01 of you income from photography.

Or

b) You make money on %50.01 of your shots.

This has been debated ad infinitum here by many wanting to validate their choice to label themselves. Being a former pro shooter, I don't consider myself a pro now. Some argue that once you have attained that status you get to keep it.

It's a certain promotion from GWC though. :)

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional
Full frame and some primes.

danir.photography
155 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Southern California
Mar 31, 2008 17:54 as a reply to cosworth's post |  #3

You're a pro the second you say you're a pro. Who gives a damn what anybody else says?

Gear List
It is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission... and make that sure your WiFi connection to your laptop is working.

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Duncan, BC, Canada
Mar 31, 2008 17:59 |  #4

When you misrepresent yourself to a potential customer you hurt the industry. I care.

people will always try to stop you doing the right thing if it is unconventional

bbqKing
"...less likely to get nailed"
1,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
At the corner of Brush Hogging and Hay For Sale
Mar 31, 2008 19:12 |  #5

cosworth wrote in post #5232497external link
When you make %50.01 of you income from photography

I'll have to agree with that.

tracknut
Goldmember
1,740 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Folsom, California
Mar 31, 2008 19:27 |  #6

I'd think being "pro" would have more to do with having a legal business, treating your customers well, adhering to the professional standards set by other photographers, and a dedication to learning the art of photography.

After all, making the call based on percentage of income from photography would elliminate anybody who has other income (say investment income), or on the low end of the scale would make a pro out of the high school kid who sold a few photos and had no other income.

Dave

Performance/sport dog photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
"Always available to shoot your dog"

eddarr
There's Moderators under there....
8,907 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Las Vegas
Mar 31, 2008 19:33 |  #7

It's more about the quality of the pictures than the title. If your quality is high, others will tell you that you are a professional. And pay you as a professional.

Eric

Stocky
722 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Boston, MA
Apr 01, 2008 00:24 |  #8

I think pro has to do with the money not with the quality of your work. The people at your local Walmart portrait studio are welcome to call themselves professional photographers if they want. I have seen a few stock image sites that define Pro as someone who makes more than half of their income from photography, but unless someone is asking a specific question like that then you can use what ever criteria you want.

Always happy to hear some critique
gear list

opus13
450 posts
Joined Feb 2008
Longmont, Colorado
Apr 01, 2008 01:33 |  #9

Being a professional in any field is simple: If you can justifiably charge for a service or product, and the customer finds equitable value for said item or service. Percentages don't matter.

Essentially: If you get paid to do something because someone wants you to do it.

mah stuffexternal link

Aaagogo
Goldmember
2,403 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
Apr 01, 2008 02:51 |  #10

everyone's reply is correct in it own sense, be it technical or ethical, but i think this one is the best.

after all, it's all about the money, is it not? ;)

eddarr wrote in post #5233668external link
It's more about the quality of the pictures than the title. If your quality is high, others will tell you that you are a professional. And pay you as a professional.

http://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=4655753&postcou​nt=953 Your 1st 10,000 images are your worst
One photo out of focus is a mistake, ten photo out of focus are an experimentation, one hundred photo out of focus are a style

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Apr 01, 2008 07:38 |  #11

Look at it this way, in other professions when are you considered a pro...usually when you are getting paid to do the job...A lot of people can take good photos..The difference is, the pros are getting paid to do it, while the others (my self included) are hoping that somebody likes what I have done well enough to buy it.

EOS 6d, 7d, 50d, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Websiteexternal link | Fine Art Americaexternal link

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Delaware, USA
Apr 01, 2008 08:17 |  #12

cosworth wrote in post #5232497external link
When you make %50.01 of you income from photography.

digirebelva wrote in post #5236814external link
Look at it this way, in other professions when are you considered a pro...usually when you are getting paid to do the job...A lot of people can take good photos..The difference is, the pros are getting paid to do it...

By your definitions, the person at Walmart is a pro. I have difficulty with that definition. Although there may not be a perfect answer to this question, I tend to put more weight on the quality of the pictures taken than I do with the percent of income they generate for someone.

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.comexternal link
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

Tandem
Goldmember
1,244 posts
Joined Feb 2006
Colorado Springs
Apr 01, 2008 08:30 |  #13

When you put "photographer" on your tax return.

Bill - A model needs careful lighting, professional makeup and expensive clothes to look as beautiful as any ordinary woman does to a man who has fallen in love with her.
G10, 5D, 1D2n, 1D3, 1Ds3, 1.4x, 2x / 17-40 f4, 24-105 f4 IS, 70-200 f4, 300 f4 IS / 24-70 f2.8, 70-200 f2.8 IS, 200 f2.8, 300 f2.8 IS, 400 f2.8 IS / 35 f1.4, 50 f1.2, 85 f1.2, 85 f1.8, 100 f2.8M 135 f2
http://ColoradoSprings​.SmugMug.com/external link

RTMiller
Goldmember
1,241 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Delaware, USA
Apr 01, 2008 08:40 as a reply to Tandem's post |  #14

Perhaps we get to hung up on the word "professional". As opposed to the word "excellent" or "great".

You can be an accountant. You make your money doing tax returns. That makes you a professional account. That doesn't mean you are a "great" accountant or an "excellent" accountant. It just means you are an accountant.

I think we erroneously equate the "professional" tag with "excellence". That may not always be the case.

I think it would be more meaningful and/or flattering to be called a great photographer or an excellent photographer than it would be to be called a professional photographer. I see many people here who don't make their living primarily from photography but they take pictures as good or better than many professionals I have seen.

Todd

www.PHOTODDGRAPHY.comexternal link
Equipment List
Everyone is beautiful if you squint.

cosworth
10,930 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Duncan, BC, Canada
Apr 01, 2008 08:46 |  #15

RTMiller wrote in post #5236980external link
By your definitions, the person at Walmart is a pro.

They are.

I am quite certain Annie Leibowitz is a pro. She gets paid $250,000 a shoot. But in reality my "eye" sees here as a theatrical stager who shoots her work. Quality is in hte eye of the beholder.

Now if I go work for Wal-Mart to help pay my mortgage does that invalidate my talent?

sponsored links

7,762 views & 65 likes for this thread
At what point do you consider yourself a "Professional" photographer?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.