Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #1
qwalls

Thumbs up Domke F-802 Review

First a little background. I think buying camera bags in search of the perfect one can be a never ending quest.

I started with a Lowepro Slingshot AW200 but it was too small.

I currently have a Crumpler $7M Home. It's the bag I use most of the time. Only real downsides are the 70-200mm F/2.8 will fit mounted, but not very well, and there really isn't a convenient pocket or pouch for flyers, etc. that are picked up at shows. Also, the velcro is pretty loud which makes it inconvenient at church. It holds what I want and need most of the time, but also isn't good for carrying two bodies with lenses mounted.

I also have a Tamrac Velocity 9X. It works great for when I know I'll be using the 70-200 most of the time and want to keep it mounted, but getting to the stuff on the bottom when you have items stacked is kind of a pain. I may be selling this one.

I have a Crumpler $5M Home. Great bag for when I know I won't need the 70-200 and just want to carry a body and 2-3 lenses, or a body and 1-2 lenses and a flash.

I have a Crumpler $4M Home. Ok for a body and lens. May sell it or give it to my wife is she expresses an interest in a dSLR. Maybe an XT or XTI and an all-in-one lens like the Tamron 18-250...

I recently bought a Domke F-804 thinking it would be good for carrying two bodies attached to lenses, but it's just too big to use as a day bag. I may keep it to use as a travel bag for camera gear and laptop, or I may sell it.

Still with me?

I just got a Domke F-802 this week. I haven't had a chance to shoot with it yet. Just got it loaded last night, but so far it has a lot of potential. The only thing I don't like to far is the clasp that requires two hands to open. I'll try it out this weekend. Here are some pictures. You can check out the other F-802 review here on POTN to see how it looks totally empty.

Fully loaded:

It's a little taller than the $7M Home, but that's good because it will hold a 70-200 F/2.8 mounted to a camera. It's also thinner, and about the same length.

Larger view

Larger view

The contents...
Tamron 17-50 mounted to Canon 40D, Canon 70-200 F/2.8 mounted to Canon 30D, Canon 100mm F/1.8 Macro, Canon 85mm F/1.8, manuals, Kenko 1.4X TC and pouch, large rocket blower, extra memory cards and batteries, altoids tin with moo cards , wireless remote, 430EX flash w/ omnibounce, battery charger with car adapter, 8 AA batteries, reflector, cleaning supplies. I think that's it, but there is room for more small items. Both of the magazine size pouches (internal and external) are currently unused. I plan to buy a longer lens this year, something in the 100-400mm range, and that will be the real test.

Larger view

The inserts...

Larger view

The inserts are three of the small insert from the Naneu Pro Sierra. Give them a call, they will sell just the inserts for about $10 each + shipping. I also have two of the large inserts for the F-804.

I hope this was helpful. There didn't seem to be many reviews for the F-802.

Last edited by qwalls : 5th of April 2008 (Sat) at 08:14. Reason: added link
qwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #2
TheHoff
Don't Hassle....

Default Re: Domke F-802 Review

Thanks for the review! My 804 will be here on Monday.
TheHoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #3
qwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHoff View Post
Thanks for the review! My 804 will be here on Monday.
You're welcome. You can fit a lot of gear in that F-804!
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #4
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwalls View Post

I currently have a Crumpler $7M Home. It's the bag I use most of the time. Only real downsides are the 70-200mm F/2.8 will fit mounted, but not very well, and there really isn't a convenient pocket or pouch for flyers, etc. that are picked up at shows. Also, the velcro is pretty loud which makes it inconvenient at church. It holds what I want and need most of the time, but also isn't good for carrying two bodies with lenses mounted.
How the heck is yours configured you can't have the 70-200 mounted? I've had the 100-400L mounted and two bodies with similar lenses in there as well.

Good review though, but the 802 looks bigger than I want.
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #5
qwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by _aravena View Post
How the heck is yours configured you can't have the 70-200 mounted? I've had the 100-400L mounted and two bodies with similar lenses in there as well.

Good review though, but the 802 looks bigger than I want.
I can have the 70-200 mounted in the $7M, but it does keep the top from closing flush.

The 802 is about an inch longer, a couple inches taller, and an inch thinner than the $7M. Not a lot of difference in size, and I'm looking forward to trying two large lenses mounted in it.
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #6
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

Yeah I don't need another bag that size. The 7MDH fits it all perfectly and what's better is because there's the slightest bump, the velcro doesn't attach
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #7
JDubya

Do you think a 30D with grip would fit in there?

JDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #8
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

It'd bulge out a bit at the top, but it'd fit. I've put my 1D3 in mine.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of April 2008 (Fri)   #9
toyguru

I have both my 40D and my 20D with grips BOTH in my F-802 and they seem to fit pretty well!
toyguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of April 2008 (Sat)   #10
sunnybeach

Nice review. I just recieved my 802. I also ordered inserts. I set it up this morning & it fits basically the same gear as the OP.

Thanks Jon for all your previous info on the different Domke bags. This one will definitely work for me.
Old 23rd of June 2008 (Mon)   #11
jajagger

Can someone point me in the right direction for the inserts. I have contacted the company listed above to get the Naneu Pro Sierra inserts, but they do not sell them by themselves. Let me correct myself. They do not typically sell them alone. The only way to get them is if a bag is damaged and sent back. If the inserts survive then they will sell those individually. Otherwise they will not.
jajagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2008 (Mon)   #12
Shahid

Quote:
Originally Posted by jajagger View Post
Can someone point me in the right direction for the inserts. I have contacted the company listed above to get the Naneu Pro Sierra inserts, but they do not sell them by themselves. Let me correct myself. They do not typically sell them alone. The only way to get them is if a bag is damaged and sent back. If the inserts survive then they will sell those individually. Otherwise they will not.
BH Photo sells inserts from Domke and Tenba. Some people on here use the Tenba one in their F-802s. BH also sells the 1,2, & 3 compartment insert for the Domke satchel bags.
Shahid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of June 2008 (Mon)   #13
EORI

Nice review and photos qwalls. Those inserts look pretty good. Any trouble with the lens/hood getting caught on the inserts when you remove the camera/lens?

Thanks to Jon, MischiefK9 and Toyguru, I also purchased the F802, and it is hands-down my favorite bag now (after trying Tenba, Lowepro, Tamrac and ThinkTank over the years).

Here's the LINK to the Tenba inserts referenced above. It does the job, but the walls are not that deep.
Old 24th of June 2008 (Tue)   #14
qwalls

Quote:
Originally Posted by EORI View Post
Nice review and photos qwalls. Those inserts look pretty good. Any trouble with the lens/hood getting caught on the inserts when you remove the camera/lens?
Thanks. Not really. The 70-200 F/2.8 slides in and out with ease. The 100-400 hood is a bit larger and will catch a little, but it isn't bad. To put it another way, there is nothing holding the inserts in the bag, and removing the camera with 100-400 and hood has never pulled the insert out too.
Old 27th of September 2008 (Sat)   #15
sabesh

Hate to bump an old thread! I've decided to get a Domke 802 to hold exactly the same setup as the OP (2 DSLRs with lenses attached to them). I then came across the SAFROTTO satchel bag on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...m=290189065254

It appears to be a Domke F-802 clone, but the main compartment dimensions are somewhat smaller:

13L x 4W x 11"D for the Safrotto
15.5L x 4W x 12"D for the Domke F-802

Will the Safrotto be capable of the same setup? (2 DSLRs with lenses attached).

Thanks,

Sabesh.
sabesh is offline   Reply With Quote