Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of April 2008 (Thu)   #1
masx

Default flash sync - Optex remote

Hi,
I have a new S5 IS. So far I like it a lot and have many had Canon products for years.
I have two older flash units and I want to make them work as slaves to the in-camera flash. I bought a tiny Optex Remote Eye (B152) flash slave and the camera triggers my external flash perfectly ... BUT, I am not getting syncronization with them. I think.
The Optex senses the camera flash light and triggers the remote eye, the external flash then works but the pictures are dark. I have tried 1st curtain and 2nd curtain on the camera to no avail. Yet.
Anyone got an idea how to make my remote flash work so I can use it for side lighting on portraits etc. I think the Optex senses the light flash from the camera before triggering the external flash, that's why I am thinking it comes on late.
I am hoping to get this to work. I think it is a sync problem and as I am not using it for action, I just need the camera aperture to stay open long enough for the flash to light my subject while the shutter is open.
Thanks
Masx

Last edited by masx : 10th of April 2008 (Thu) at 23:17.
masx is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 11th of April 2008 (Fri)   #2
masx

Default Re: flash sync - Optex remote

Hi again, I finally got one of my flashes syncro'd with the S5. It is a small but powerful Canon Canolite ED that I bought in Hong Kong in 1974! lol Still haven't got the 177A Speedlite working with it yet.
Thanks for the reply Daryl, I hadn't got around to trying the fill-in flash yet.
masx
masx is offline   Reply With Quote