Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Critique Corner
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of April 2008 (Sun)   #1
D_CeLiRaToR

Default open mic night photoshoot

my sister held an open mic at barnes and noble last week and asked me to take some pictures. my set-up was a canon rebel xt, switching between a 50 1.8 and 28-105mm 3.5-4.5USM(my longest lens), and a 430ex with homemade flash diffuser for fill. i shot in raw and just added a little sharpening in dpp. they aren't as sharp as some of the shots i've seen on here and i would like to know how to get to that level. do i just need better glass? here are some of the pics:

D_CeLiRaToR is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of April 2008 (Sun)   #2
joedlh
Goldmember

Location: Long Island, NY, North America, Sol III, Orion Spur of the Milky Way galaxy.
Default Re: open mic night photoshoot

In #1 and #2, it looks like your lens was focusing on the sweaters. Use selective focus or close down the F stops.

In #3 and #4, it looks like the dark sweaters fooled your flash to output too much light (trying to make the black neutral gray), thereby overexposing the lighter skin. Try dialing down the flash exposure by 1/3-2/3 stops. If they were wearing white sweaters overexpose the flash by the same amount.

Gear: Kodak Instamatic, Polaroid Swinger. Oh you meant gear now.
http://photo.joedlh.net
joedlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of April 2008 (Sun)   #3
Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop

I like #3 and only #3.
All of the other 3 are spoiled by the background.
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.
Robert_Lay is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 14th of April 2008 (Mon)   #4
D_CeLiRaToR

thanks for the c&c i will give those a try next time. as for the background in them it was at a bookstore so any angle i could use had a busy background. i tried to throw it OOF as much as possible but even at f1.8 i couldn't get it to blur that much. they were very close to the back wall. any other c&c is appreciated.
D_CeLiRaToR is offline   Reply With Quote