Thread started 15 Apr 2008 (Tuesday) 05:34   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

nickOH
Joined Mar 2008
74 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I am shooting a wedding this friday,

It is going to be around dusk, with probably only lights at the park to shoot with. The shots will most probably be of the bride and party getting out of the limo's walking across to the boat etc... There may also be shots facing the city, with all of the big buildings, this would be across the river. Obviously I will be needing flash.

What would you recommend to use, setting wise. And how would you recommend I use the flash, on e-ttl etc... Is there a way to use a high shutter speed, flash, and keep the city lights in the background without one overpowering the other.

For the shots getting out of the car, and the potrait shots, should i use my nifty fifty, or use my 18-55 and more flash? I really cant afford to use a low shutter speed, as I need to keep moving. I would also like to use a fairly low iso due to the noise factor on my 400D.

So basically there will be minimal natural light, and i need flash. What should I do to get the best possible shots?

Thanking You
Nick

Post #1, Apr 15, 2008 05:34:20

Isn't it funny how my kit isn't listed here?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Mike
ugly when I'm sober
Joined Nov 2006
15,123 posts
Sandwich UK...the place, not the food!
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't be afraid of bumping your iso up to 800 if you need it - better to have a shot decently exposed without camera shake and with a touch of noise than to have a blurry noise free image. Your nifty will help get you a decent shutter speed though.

Post #2, Apr 15, 2008 05:51:14

www.mikegreenphotograp​hy.co.ukexternal link
Gear
UK South Easterners
flickrexternal link Blogexternal link 5∞pxexternal link

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? ::: A closed mouth gathers no foot.

nickOH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
74 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

I think my nifty will only end up with a shutter speed of around 1/10 max if I dont bother using a flash, and I cant see that ending up shake free without a tripod, which is pointless considering ill be on the move, and so will they.

So if I use the flash I can get a shutter speed of 1/200 no problems, on 200 iso, and its a underexposed on the background, but the flash fill is good. The shadows sort of concern me but, as it always will with flash. But I still wish to have the background as part of the photo, so how can I go about this, with using flash, and having a decent shutter speed?

Post #3, Apr 15, 2008 06:11:18

ofdphoto
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
Joined Jun 2006
4,557 posts
Newcastle, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Have a read here:

http://planetneil.com/​tangents/external link

And get out and practise.

Post #4, Apr 15, 2008 06:41:29

Luke
Newcastle headshot photographerexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link | Blogexternal link

nickOH
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
74 posts
Perth, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for that link, it was really helpful.

I have been trying to practice as much as possible really, trying to recreate scenes. Its just that I will constantly be moving taking the first bunch of shots, and I need a high shutter speed to stop the motion blur, but I wish to keep the ambient light noticable as well... Impossible I presume?

Post #5, Apr 15, 2008 08:01:49

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
JimAskew
20% discount at IHOP
Joined Aug 2005
6,910 posts
Springfield, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

linarms wrote in post #5332283external link
Have a read here:

http://planetneil.com/​tangents/external link

And get out and practise.

Excellent link...thanks for sharing this one :)

I second the suggestion to practice, practice, practice :D

Post #6, Apr 15, 2008 08:11:36

Jim -- I keep the G11 in the Glove Box just in case!
5D, 30D, 7D, G11, 10-22MM EF-S, 50MM f/1.4 EF, 70-200MM f/2.8 L IS MKII, 17-55MM f/2.8 EF-S IS, 100MM f/2.8 EF Macro, Sigma 30MM f/1.4, 135MM EF f/2 L, 24-105MM f/4 EF L IS, 17-40MM f/4 EF L, 85MM f/1.2 EFL, 15MM f/2.8 EF Fisheye

highway0691
Joined Sep 2006
667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Don't hesitate to use high ISO. It's not like the film days where 400 iso was risky. I'd much prefer a photo with a bit of noise rather than a blurred or underexposed one. I'd be using TV mode, set shutter to around 100th sec. Use flash - practice with manual mode at full power.(but be careful with this as it's all too easy to overexpose with this - esp the white dress)

Another setting that I have used religiously over the years with a fill-flash is F8, 125th sec, subject within 1.5 - 2.5 metres. Also - nowadays shooting raw gives you room to compensate for exposure error.

Make sure you practice - go there a couple of days before the event at the same time of day and see how it goes.

Good luck

damian

Post #7, Apr 15, 2008 09:53:20

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

SuzyView
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
31,755 posts
Northern VA
[MORE/SHARE]

The 50 1.8 will be the best choice, but really practice, and flash is okay. Weddings are so hard, but if you are set to do this, tripod.

Post #8, Apr 15, 2008 09:54:59

Suzie - Still Speaking Canonese!
5D2 :lol:7D :D SL1 (6/14) & G12, the iPad2, iPhone 5 :), 5 L's & 2 Primes 23 bags.
My children are the reason, but it's the passion that drives me to get the perfect image of everything.
My Gear and Wishes

ofdphoto
"stupidly long verbal diarrhoea"
Joined Jun 2006
4,557 posts
Newcastle, Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

nickOH wrote in post #5332606external link
Thanks for that link, it was really helpful.

I have been trying to practice as much as possible really, trying to recreate scenes. Its just that I will constantly be moving taking the first bunch of shots, and I need a high shutter speed to stop the motion blur, but I wish to keep the ambient light noticable as well... Impossible I presume?

Motion blur in the background is part of the fun of dragging the shutter (a technique described in the link I gave you). Don't be afraid of it. And, as everyone else has said, use high ISO. 800, 1600, no worries.

Post #9, Apr 15, 2008 16:39:23

Luke
Newcastle headshot photographerexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link | Blogexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
727 views & 0 likes for this thread
Need wedding help!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES