Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of April 2008 (Wed)   #1
parsnip

Default Lens dot, what's it for?

I notice on my 18-55 there's a dot just after 24 on the focal length indicator on the lens. EXIF shows it has 27mm focal length, is there a significance to the dot?
parsnip is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of April 2008 (Wed)   #2
Rubberhead

Default Re: Lens dot, what's it for?

Good question - I've wanted to know about the dot and the flag looking thing too.
Old 23rd of April 2008 (Wed)   #3
Red Dot

it indicates where the lens is compacted most. at 55 it extends, and at the dot it is smalles. the flag is usually when the compactness is achieved at the end of the focal range.
Old 23rd of April 2008 (Wed)   #4
cito17

I looked on mine and it's the spot were the lens is most retracted.

[ EOS 5Dc|EOS 30D|Canonet QL17 G-III|Olympus OM-1|Canon 35mm f/2.0|Canon 50mm f/1.8 II|Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM|Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8|430EX ]
cito17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2008 (Wed)   #5
parsnip

yeah the flag is the beginning of the focal range on mine so it indicates 18

Mine isn't most retracted at the dot though, it's most around 30
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #6
parsnip

I just read a review saying 28 mm is the most common wide angle focal length, could this be a 28mm indicator?
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #7
Rankinia

28mm is a lovely focal length, but that is the equivalent for an ef-s lens is approx 17mm if i remember right.

Adam
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #8
timnosenzo
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by parsnip View Post
I just read a review saying 28 mm is the most common wide angle focal length, could this be a 28mm indicator?
This would be my guess. My 24-105 has a dot at what looks to be 28, but its most retracted at 24.
timnosenzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #9
Stocky

I agree that its the (approximate) spot where the lens is its shortest physical length. I also realized that I don't have a manual for that lens. Apparently the kit didn't come with one. Unfortunately this is my only zoom lens (1 going on 5), but I see from pictures that the 24-70 and 17-55 both have the flags on them and the 24-70 has a dot as well (right next to the flag at the short end of the focal length). The 70-200 series do not seem to have any of these markings. I will be very interested to hear an explanation for all of this if there is one.
Stocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #10
parsnip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rankinia View Post
28mm is a lovely focal length, but that is the equivalent for an ef-s lens is approx 17mm if i remember right.

Adam
That's true due to the 1.6 factor, it's about 17.5mm on an XSI although I guess the factor is camera dependent. So the dot may be more useful on a full frame camera

Either way the theory it is the shortest physical lengths doesnt seem to work across lenses, plus when you contract the lens focusing also affects the length
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #11
msowsun
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Either way the theory it is the shortest physical lengths doesnt seem to work across lenses, plus when you contract the lens focusing also affects the length
My Sigma 17-70 also has a white dot just between the 24 and 35. This lens only gets longer as it zooms out from 17 to 70. (the shortest physical length is at 17)

Last edited by msowsun : 24th of April 2008 (Thu) at 17:21.
msowsun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #12
Chandler.
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stocky View Post
I agree that its the (approximate) spot where the lens is its shortest physical length.... I see from pictures that the 24-70 and 17-55 both have the flags on them and the 24-70 has a dot as well (right next to the flag at the short end of the focal length). The 70-200 series do not seem to have any of these markings. I will be very interested to hear an explanation for all of this if there is one.
The 24-70L does not have any flag or dot markings. Besides, it's a reverse zoom lens and is longest at 24mm, and shortest at 70mm.

The 70-200Ls are all internal focus lenses, so they wouldn't need a dot to determine the shortest physical length.

Gear
Chandler. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #13
20droger
Cream of the Crop

Location: In a semi-civilized small town in southeastern Arizona.

Quote:
I notice on my 18-55 there's a dot just after 24 on the focal length indicator on the lens. EXIF shows it has 27mm focal length, is there a significance to the dot?
For the 18-55mm lens, the dot represents "28" on the focal-length scale. That means the scale reads "18 24 [28] 35 55". Even though the 28mm position has no real significance for an EF-S lens, it is still a very popular size, historically.

The lens instruction sheet came with our camera-lens kit, but does not specifically say anything about the dot. When I carefull set the lens to the dot, the measured focal length (on our lens) is 27.6mm. This lens has very high tolerances, however, and I would not be surprised at anything between 26mm and 30mm.

On the EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM lens, there is a little "flag" just left of the 35mm marking, between the numbers "28" and "35". This flag is really a square dot indicating the position of 28mm, with a small line extending to the number "28".

These dots and similar tricks are used on some lenses to include numbers that simply will not fit, as numbers, in their proper positions. These dots or "flags" have absolutely nothing to do with the extension of the lens.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by 20droger : 24th of April 2008 (Thu) at 17:10.
20droger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #14
parsnip

20droger was correct about the dot

Official canon response...

"The dot on the lens shows where 28mm is located."
Old 24th of April 2008 (Thu)   #15
number six
"After 40 years still not housebroken, I still piddle on the carpet"

Quote:
20droger was correct about the dot

Official canon response...

"The dot on the lens shows where 28mm is located."
And why do we care? Because 28 mm is the "normal" focal length on a 1.6 crop camera?

That's what I've been assuming...

-js
number six is offline   Reply With Quote