Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Urban Life & Travel Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of April 2008 (Fri)   #1
Photonerd

Default Seattle Skyline Photo Locations?

Hello,

Does anyone know of good spots to take photos of the Seattle skyline?

Thanks in advaced.
Photonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2008 (Fri)   #2
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!

Location: Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
Default Re: Seattle Skyline Photo Locations?

Kerry Park is one of the signature spots. On Queen Anne hill looking south towards the center and downtown. On a good day, you can get Mt. Rainier in the background.

From Alki looking back at the city is another popular one.

From Gasworks Park is a little less common, but also very nice.

There have been several shots posted at POTN taken from some bridges/overpasses on the southern edge of the city looking past Safeco and Quest Field towards downtown.

There are lots of options. You don't say in your location, but how familiar are you with the area?
ibdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of April 2008 (Fri)   #3
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper

Another one that is nice is from the Space Needle deck looking SE toward the stadia.

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.
Radtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 25th of April 2008 (Fri)   #4
August 15 Photography

Another good spot is the 12th Ave S bridge that goes over I-90 looking North toward downtown. It is right next to the Amazon headquarters (Amazon.com) It is a great spot at night to get a long exposure to capture streaking head and tail lights from cars on the freeway going through downtown. If you turn around, the Amazon building itself is quite a shot at night, the building is very interesting as it used to be a mental institution. Very cool at night, kinda eerie, but you have to work around the multiple street lights in the multi level parking lot of the building.

As stated above, Kerry Park is probably the most famous spot. Go North up Queen Anne Ave and turn left on Highland Dr. its a block up on your left, you cant miss it. Also, jump on a ferry, the dock is right in the center of the skyline on the waterfront. You will get a ton of perspectives as you get further away. It's about a 45 min ride one way and 45 min back. You can take either ferry to Bremerton or Bainbridge Island. If it is a nice day like it is supposed to be tomorrow, the view is amazing from the water.

If you want a real different experience, take a Kenmore air tour. It is a seaplane tour that takes off out of lake Union and flies all around the area. On a clear day you can get amazing shots of Mt. Ranier.

By the way, for anyone who has never been here, come visit in the summer, contrary to popular belief, it does not rain here much in the summer. Two years ago we had 78 days in a row of no rain and I think like 50+ of 70 degrees or warmer. On a sunny day this is one of the most amazingly beautiful places you will ever see. but dont go telling people about the nice summers, its our little secret here in the NW.

Last edited by August 15 Photography : 25th of April 2008 (Fri) at 22:14.
August 15 Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2008 (Sat)   #5
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by August 15 Photography View Post
By the way, for anyone who has never been here, come visit in the summer, contrary to popular belief, it does not rain here much in the summer. Two years ago we had 78 days in a row of no rain and I think like 50+ of 70 degrees or warmer. On a sunny day this is one of the most amazingly beautiful places you will ever see. . .
SHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Lies I tell you!!! All lies!!!

--Member, Lesser Seattle
Old 26th of April 2008 (Sat)   #6
Photonerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibdb View Post
You don't say in your location, but how familiar are you with the area?
Thanks for all the suggestions! I live in Dallas. I'm here for a few days and I'm not familiar with the area at all. But I have google and a nav system.
Photonerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2008 (Sat)   #7
showngo

Google Earth always helps too, Space Needle for sure and Alki.

My Gear
showngo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2008 (Sat)   #8
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Definitely thumbs up on the ferry idea! Great weather this weekend would make for a beautiful way to spend a few hours, and great shots of the skyline from the water.

Just be aware that you will have to deal with boat movement and motor vibrations, so use a lens with IS even if you have a tripod or monopod, and take plenty of shots because you'll have some shaky ones to week out.

The ferry and the waterfront are also great places to catch pics of seagulls and other water birds.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of April 2008 (Sat)   #9
Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper

Whenever anyone asks about Seattle, I always like to link to this amazing page. If you want to see a very cool old/new of Seattle then this is it: two Panoramic shots, most likely taken from Alki, taken about 95 years apart. It is really amazing. LARGE is here and REGULAR size is here. I assure you you will be impressed!

Makes you wonder about the word "Progress"

Oh, and one other thing, completely unrelated to photography - be sure to take the tour of the Underground City. Ask any local, a very very "Must See"!

Rad

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

Last edited by Radtech1 : 26th of April 2008 (Sat) at 17:10.
Radtech1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of April 2008 (Sun)   #10
bsmotril
Goldmember

Toke the sightseeing boat tour called "The Locks Tour". Besides getting great shots of the skyline from the sound, you'll get some from the back side on Lake Union. If it's clear, you'll also get some good one of the lighthouse with Mt Ranier in the background.
bsmotril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of April 2008 (Sun)   #11
bsmotril
Goldmember

Toke the sightseeing boat tour called "The Locks Tour". Besides getting great shots of the skyline from the sound, you'll get some from the back side on Lake Union. If it's clear, you'll also get some good one of the lighthouse with Mt Ranier in the background.
bsmotril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of October 2008 (Wed)   #12
Hangbot

just got back from a trip to Seattle! Great city and beautiful scenery.

Got some great advice from a member from Seattle - thanks SeattleSpeedster. Got some good shots of the skyline from Alki beach. Also, ditto on the Space Needle. Had brunch up there and was able to get some cool shots of the city with the mountain in the background.
Hangbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2009 (Mon)   #13
dharshan

I have a blog of the interesting photo locations in and around the Seattle area - www.seattlephotoadventures.blogspot.com. You will find a useful list of locations.
dharshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2009 (Mon)   #14
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Cool! Now we just have to pinpoint excellent ferry locations!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of February 2009 (Mon)   #15
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharshan View Post
I have a blog of the interesting photo locations in and around the Seattle area - www.seattlephotoadventures.blogspot.com. You will find a useful list of locations.
Thanks for sharing that! Welcome to POTN.