FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk
Thread started 25 Apr 2008 (Friday) 17:53   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Photonerd
Joined Jul 2006
60 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello,

Does anyone know of good spots to take photos of the Seattle skyline?

Thanks in advaced.

Post #1, Apr 25, 2008 17:53:59

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
Puyallup -- Don't worry. Nobody else can pronounce it either.
[MORE/SHARE]

Kerry Park is one of the signature spots. On Queen Anne hill looking south towards the center and downtown. On a good day, you can get Mt. Rainier in the background.

From Alki looking back at the city is another popular one.

From Gasworks Park is a little less common, but also very nice.

There have been several shots posted at POTN taken from some bridges/overpasses on the southern edge of the city looking past Safeco and Quest Field towards downtown.

There are lots of options. You don't say in your location, but how familiar are you with the area?

Post #2, Apr 25, 2008 18:20:52

-David
"David raises a good point. . ." -- CDS
"Once again, David Raises a good point! :lol:" The Wise and Powerful CDS
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
Joined Jun 2003
6,383 posts
Trantor
[MORE/SHARE]

Another one that is nice is from the Space Needle deck looking SE toward the stadia.

Rad

Post #3, Apr 25, 2008 18:53:30 as a reply to ibdb's post 32 minutes earlier.

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

August ­ 15 ­ Photography
Joined Dec 2006
423 posts
Seattle, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Another good spot is the 12th Ave S bridge that goes over I-90 looking North toward downtown. It is right next to the Amazon headquarters (Amazon.com) It is a great spot at night to get a long exposure to capture streaking head and tail lights from cars on the freeway going through downtown. If you turn around, the Amazon building itself is quite a shot at night, the building is very interesting as it used to be a mental institution. Very cool at night, kinda eerie, but you have to work around the multiple street lights in the multi level parking lot of the building.

As stated above, Kerry Park is probably the most famous spot. Go North up Queen Anne Ave and turn left on Highland Dr. its a block up on your left, you cant miss it. Also, jump on a ferry, the dock is right in the center of the skyline on the waterfront. You will get a ton of perspectives as you get further away. It's about a 45 min ride one way and 45 min back. You can take either ferry to Bremerton or Bainbridge Island. If it is a nice day like it is supposed to be tomorrow, the view is amazing from the water.

If you want a real different experience, take a Kenmore air tour. It is a seaplane tour that takes off out of lake Union and flies all around the area. On a clear day you can get amazing shots of Mt. Ranier.

By the way, for anyone who has never been here, come visit in the summer, contrary to popular belief, it does not rain here much in the summer. Two years ago we had 78 days in a row of no rain and I think like 50+ of 70 degrees or warmer. On a sunny day this is one of the most amazingly beautiful places you will ever see. but dont go telling people about the nice summers, its our little secret here in the NW.

Post #4, Apr 25, 2008 21:02:31

Oooooh they have the internet on computers now. - Homer Simpson
Cameras and Computers

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

August 15 Photography wrote in post #5405264external link
By the way, for anyone who has never been here, come visit in the summer, contrary to popular belief, it does not rain here much in the summer. Two years ago we had 78 days in a row of no rain and I think like 50+ of 70 degrees or warmer. On a sunny day this is one of the most amazingly beautiful places you will ever see. . .

SHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Lies I tell you!!! All lies!!! ;)

--Member, Lesser Seattle :lol:

Post #5, Apr 25, 2008 23:04:16

-David
Gear List | Proof I Use The Gear In My Gear List (not necessarily proof I use it well)external link

sponsored links
Photonerd
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jul 2006
60 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

ibdb wrote in post #5404461external link
You don't say in your location, but how familiar are you with the area?

Thanks for all the suggestions! I live in Dallas. I'm here for a few days and I'm not familiar with the area at all. But I have google and a nav system.

Post #6, Apr 26, 2008 12:49:26

showngo
Joined Oct 2007
250 posts
Lakewood, WA
[MORE/SHARE]

Google Earth always helps too, Space Needle for sure and Alki.

Post #7, Apr 26, 2008 14:39:04

Ben
My Gearexternal link

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Definitely thumbs up on the ferry idea! Great weather this weekend would make for a beautiful way to spend a few hours, and great shots of the skyline from the water.

Just be aware that you will have to deal with boat movement and motor vibrations, so use a lens with IS even if you have a tripod or monopod, and take plenty of shots because you'll have some shaky ones to week out.

The ferry and the waterfront are also great places to catch pics of seagulls and other water birds.

Post #8, Apr 26, 2008 15:45:43

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

Radtech1
Everlasting Gobstopper
Joined Jun 2003
6,383 posts
Trantor
[MORE/SHARE]

Whenever anyone asks about Seattle, I always like to link to this amazing page. If you want to see a very cool old/new of Seattle then this is it: two Panoramic shots, most likely taken from Alki, taken about 95 years apart. It is really amazing. LARGE is hereexternal link and REGULAR size is hereexternal link. I assure you you will be impressed!

Makes you wonder about the word "Progress"

Oh, and one other thing, completely unrelated to photography - be sure to take the tour of the Underground Cityexternal link. Ask any local, a very very "Must See"!

Rad

Post #9, Apr 26, 2008 16:08:19

Be humble, for you are made of the earth. Be noble, for you are made of the stars.

bsmotril
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,349 posts
Austin TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Toke the sightseeing boat tour called "The Locks Tour". Besides getting great shots of the skyline from the sound, you'll get some from the back side on Lake Union. If it's clear, you'll also get some good one of the lighthouse with Mt Ranier in the background.

Post #10, Apr 27, 2008 16:38:55

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/external link --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/external link

bsmotril
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,349 posts
Austin TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Toke the sightseeing boat tour called "The Locks Tour". Besides getting great shots of the skyline from the sound, you'll get some from the back side on Lake Union. If it's clear, you'll also get some good one of the lighthouse with Mt Ranier in the background.

Post #11, Apr 27, 2008 16:39:06

Gear List
Galleries: http://www.flickr.com/​photos/smopho/external link --- http://billsmotrilla.z​enfolio.com/external link

sponsored links
Hangbot
Joined Mar 2007
437 posts
finally escaped NYC, and back in Hawaii
[MORE/SHARE]

just got back from a trip to Seattle! Great city and beautiful scenery.

Got some great advice from a member from Seattle - thanks SeattleSpeedster:). Got some good shots of the skyline from Alki beach. Also, ditto on the Space Needle. Had brunch up there and was able to get some cool shots of the city with the mountain in the background.

Post #12, Oct 01, 2008 14:10:16 as a reply to bsmotril's post 5 months earlier.

5D III : 35/1.4L : 100/2.8L : 16-35/2.8L : 24-70/2.8L : 70-200/2.8L IS : 100-400L IS : Lensbaby 2
Hassie 501C : Carl Zeiss 80/2.8 : Carl Zeiss 280/5.6
Canon FX : FL 50/1.8 and of course, my Holga:)

dharshan
Hatchling
Joined Feb 2009
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a blog of the interesting photo locations in and around the Seattle area - www.seattlephotoadvent​ures.blogspot.comexternal link. You will find a useful list of locations.

Post #13, Feb 09, 2009 01:11:23 as a reply to Hangbot's post 4 months earlier.

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Cool! Now we just have to pinpoint excellent ferry locations:)!

Post #14, Feb 09, 2009 01:41:35

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

ibdb
TD's worst nightmare!
Joined Jan 2006
6,484 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

dharshan wrote in post #7285669external link
I have a blog of the interesting photo locations in and around the Seattle area - www.seattlephotoadvent​ures.blogspot.comexternal link. You will find a useful list of locations.

Thanks for sharing that! Welcome to POTN.

Post #15, Feb 09, 2009 22:39:35

-David

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Seattle Skyline Photo Locations?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Urban Life & Travel Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES