Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > POTN Member Activities
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31st of January 2011 (Mon)   #586
rohicks

Default Re: jacksonville FL POTN Members ?

Ya, but the weather is still nice regardless. I heard it gets pretty brutal here in the summer so I dunno how I'm going to handle that.

I found an gorgeous road to shoot on in saint augustine area that has trees lined the road bending over the road with spanish moss. I think the road is called mangolia? It's by that fountain of youth gate entrance. Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I found the google street view of here > http://*******/maps/VNpO

That road is so awesome, and if I could get a model to pose in the street for me could get some really awesome shots there.

Any other places you guys think is cool for shots. I know some photographers are secret about their locations, but if not share them
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook

Last edited by rohicks : 31st of January 2011 (Mon) at 10:56.
rohicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 31st of January 2011 (Mon)   #587
Goincarcrazy
Goldmember

yeah...summers suck here...badly!

Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 50D - 24-70mm L f/2.8 - 100-400mm L IS f/4.5-5.6 - 50mm f/1.4 - MP-E 65mm Macro - 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro - 600mm L f/4 IS - 1.4x Teleconverter - Kenko Extension Tubes - Speedlight 430EX - MT-24EX Twin-Lite
Goincarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of February 2011 (Tue)   #588
rohicks

Ferdinand Beach
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of February 2011 (Tue)   #589
Goincarcrazy
Goldmember

yeah, I love it up that way. You're much closer to it than I am. I dunno if you're a car guy, but the Ritz Carlton puts on the Amelia Island Concourse d'Elegance (which has been touted as the 3rd best automotive event in the world behind pebble beach and the monterey historic races). Its I think $40 per person but you'll see cars you'll never see anywhere else.

Also up that way is Fort Clinch which is the best preserved Civil War era fort. It sits on tons of land with plenty of trails, marsh, beach, etc where wildlife is always pretty abundant. You can look across the inlet and see Little Talbot Island as well.

Canon 5D Mark II - Canon 50D - 24-70mm L f/2.8 - 100-400mm L IS f/4.5-5.6 - 50mm f/1.4 - MP-E 65mm Macro - 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro - 600mm L f/4 IS - 1.4x Teleconverter - Kenko Extension Tubes - Speedlight 430EX - MT-24EX Twin-Lite
Old 1st of February 2011 (Tue)   #590
rohicks

Sweet I'll have to look into all that you mentioned.

I'm still seeking a full time job so I have plenty of time of my hands lol. Know of anyone that's hiring a graphic designer push them to me
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook
Old 6th of February 2011 (Sun)   #591
rohicks

Any local camera shops that have a good inventory for renting lenses or equipment?
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook
Old 6th of February 2011 (Sun)   #592
jeromego
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohicks View Post
Any local camera shops that have a good inventory for renting lenses or equipment?
i dont think there's one in Jax. There's one in lake mary which is about a couple of hours from southwest of Jax. www.thelensdepot.com
Old 7th of February 2011 (Mon)   #593
rohicks

Been doing some research on taxes in Florida for photography. Specifically because I've already landed a wedding and I need to find out about the sale tax.

I found this on the florida dept of revenue site
http://*******/fqtXlY

If the link doesn't work check this link > http://a.yfrog.com/img619/5733/qa1o.png

Thought it might be helpful to someone.

Quote:
Are photography services taxable?

Photographers and photo finishers are engaged in the sale of tangible personal property when developing or printing pictures for sale, or selling completed photographs. Such persons are required to collect and remit tax on the total amount charged to the customer for the sale of such tangible personal property.

Sitting fees are taxable when charged with the sale of tangible personal property. The charge for sitting fees alone is not taxable.
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #594
bbgeekchic

Hello Jacksonville...
Ok so super long story short, I am taking my kids on a family vacation for the first time ever! Destination is Atlanta for the Wrestlemania Pay-Per-View.
but, before we head into Atlanta we are going to Fl. My original destination was going to be Jacksonville, but alas due to finding little to no rooms available for what I needed, I am heading in to St Augustine instead.
On my way back from St Augustine into Atlanta, are there any sites in Jacksonville that I should stop at? Ones that a person "just shouldn't miss"?
Thanks for your help
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #595
Goincarcrazy
Goldmember

Not off the top of my head, no not really. Jacksonville isn't a very pretty city except for a couple of spots, none of which are tourist worthy. St. Augustine is where all the history and good beaches are anyway. Though Jacksonville does have a myriad of events that roll through, so I guess it all depends when you're coming down. The first weekend of March has the Jacksonville Car and Truck show, the last third weekend is the Councours d'Elegance (3rd most prestigious car show in the US) and that's about it that I know of (or at least that interests me).

What sort of things are you and your family interested in seeing?

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #596
bbgeekchic

I will be coming down the very last week in March. I think St Augustine will be perfect then. I really dont know what we are interested in seeing. Apparently I am planning the entire trip because obviously the kids cant

And my other half, well lets just say he's the type where I take care of everything and he follows along. :P
So if you ask him on a day to day basis what we are doing, he would say I dont know, ask her lol

My kids have only ever traveled out of MN to see my sister in IL. SO that was WI into IL (not a very eventful trip)
I have traveled to Wisconsin, Illinois, Missouri, Arkansas, California, Las Vegas, and Orlando (which was AMAZING)
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #597
rohicks

Augustine is a really cool place. Take a drive up the a1a if your coming back into jacksonville from there (or drive down the a1a to Augustine). That's pretty scenic too with lots of big expensive houses on either side of the road.
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook

Last edited by rohicks : 8th of February 2011 (Tue) at 17:09.
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #598
Goincarcrazy
Goldmember

Funnily enough I just ran across this thread on a random website I was perusing, and there are enough pics of Jacksonville and St Augustine that you can almost say you've been here without have to have come! Loads of info about the area that I wasn't even aware of!

Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #599
bbgeekchic

Those are amazing pictures. The houses are so gorgeous. I can't wait for my trip
Old 8th of February 2011 (Tue)   #600
rohicks

Personally I think Jacksonville is a pretty city. I just moved here Jan. 18th, last month. But I also think people here might take for granted living so close to the ocean. I think downtown jax, neptune, atlantic beach areas are pretty. Downtown Jax is pretty and specially at night when driving around all the bridges. Amelia area just north of Jax is gorgeous and the talbot island area north east of jax. Augustine just south of Jax is a gorgeous city.

From living in an area with two lakes that are dirty brown water, corn fields, a campus, and some hills. I think this place is pretty. Florida's landscape is pretty flat though you won't find hills like you do in the midwest.

A few weekends ago i went to augustine for the first time and my buddy drove me down this road http://*******/maps/0llO Mangnolia avenue. Very cool road. Drive your kids through here and they will love looking out the windows.
flickr - Dribbble
twitter - facebook