Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EF and EF-S Lenses
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of May 2008 (Wed)   #1
DLInspire

Thumbs up Help me choose a Polarizing Filter!

Alright guys, help me choose a Polarizing filter. I am by no means a pro, I just want a Polarizing filter that increases contrast (bluer skies, greener trees/lawn etc).

I've looked at the Tiffen Brand, the Hoya Super HMC and B+W. The Tiffen brand is cheap in $, but how is the quality (image quality, built quality)? Is anybody using the Tiffen CP filter, and would you recommend it?

I'm using a B+W UV filter on my 24-105 right now, and would like to go with the B+W CP filter as well, but there are soooo many!

Warm Polarizer
Warm Circular Polarizer Skylight
Kaeseman Circular Polarizer MRC
Circular Polarizer Glass
Circular Polarizer Glass Slim
Top Polarizer
Circular Polarizer MRC SLim
Kaeseman Circular Polarizer MRC Extra wide glass filter

What the heck is the difference lol? Can someone please educate me. Thanks in advance!

Oh yeah, what is this I hear about 90 degrees to the/from the sun in order for the CP to work?
Old 7th of May 2008 (Wed)   #2
Space

Default Re: Help me choose a Polarizing Filter!

Stick with B+W or, the Hoya. The Tiffens aren't as good.

30D ll 5D ll 24-70mm f/2.8L ll 70-200mm f/4L ll 200mm II f/2.8L ll EF 1.4 II
Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2008 (Wed)   #3
DLInspire

Okay, Hoya or B+W it is, I just youtubed some Circular Polarizers, I had no idea that you have to rotate it to get the desired effect.

Anyway, which B+W CPL should I get?, there are so many that are available at B&Hphoto
Old 7th of May 2008 (Wed)   #4
seaside
Slapped with a ridiculous title

A polarizer can sometimes make colors pop but this can be done PP with Photoshop. I personally use one to help minimize reflections on water, glass, etc....

Whatever the reason for use I'd suggest buying a good quality one. I'd stick with Hoya Pro 1, B+W or Heliopan. If you have or at anytime may use a WIDE ANGLE lens you may want to get a slim or thin filter. You can then use it on any lens w/o fear of vignetting. Some thin filters may or may not accept the usual lens caps or have front threads to stack filters if thats desirable. The manufacturer will generally make this clear one way or the other.

I currently use the Pro 1. In the past either B+W or Heliopan. The B+W Kaeseman has a special seal around the perimeter for shooting in adverse conditions. If you are shooting digital don't by a TOP Polarizer! Thats a linear filter for manual focus cameras - you need a circular polarizer! A warm polarizer is really two filters in one. Does what it says...adds some warm (81A) tone to the image.

I've used Moose's warm polarizer 81A + PL with good results when shooting film. But have not tried it with digital. I generally try not to use any filters as it just adds more glass with a potential to lessen image quality. A quality optical grade filter will minimize this.

Your 24-105mm deserves the best filter you can afford

Regards,
Chris
seaside is offline   Reply With Quote