Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 09 May 2008 (Friday) 16:51
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Domke F6 review

Andy_Cam
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 09, 2008 16:51 |  #1

As nobody has done a review of the F6, I thought that I would add my 2 cents.

I have a Burton Zoom backpack which I use when cycling somewhere or if I am going to be walking any great distances, but I needed something to use when walking around the city, or just to go to a friends of families house without getting a load of sarcastic comments about paparazzi and the amount of gear I had with me.

My criteria was to get a low profile, small bag which had enough for my 40D, a couple of lenses, flash and possibly a few other bits and pieces. I found Domke and knew they would have what I wanted.

So, here it is. The outside of the bag is made from a sturdy canvas and feels very rugged. It has metal clasps on the front which are fairly tough to undo. They are definitely not for one handed operation but may loosen up in time.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/3240091494_88f1af73bd.jpg

The shoulder strap is also a tough material with rubber lines through it. This stops and sliding off your shoulder which is a nice touch.

There is a detachable short strap for carrying the bag in your hand.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3475/3240091958_2fdf057f3c.jpg

The bag has a padded bottom, but no padding on the sides. It comes with a 4 compartment removable insert (shown). The dividers are stitched in, which limits creativity of layouts. I bought a second 1 compartment insert to fill the gap, but unfortunately the 40D body does not fit in it with a lens attached. I have taken on side of the stitching out so that the camera goes in.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3092/3239255711_df69991588.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3307/3239256665_34ebca414e.jpg

The contents shot. The 70-200 stands about 2cm above the top lip of the bag, but due to the “saggy” look, it does not look stretched when closed. The zip compartment on the front can fit a surprising amount of accessories in it. There is an additional zip compartment in the underside of the lid too.

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3329/3240092378_5d155201ba.jpg

IMAGE: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3398/3239255063_82fb10db75.jpg

Conclusion:

Pros:

1. It is the perfect size for my needs.
  2. In Olive, it resembles a bag from an Army surplus shop and not a camera bag.
  3. Very rugged build quality and feels like it will last a long time.
  4. Comfy to cart around. The bag is soft and moulds itself to your side.

Cons:
  • No padding on the actual bag sides
  • Limited layout possibilities
  • Lid is a bit loose fitting... I would not want to be caught in the rain with this bag!

Overall:

Love it. :grin:

Gear | flickrexternal link

sponsored links
Familiaphoto
Goldmember
3,948 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Chicago, IL
May 09, 2008 17:20 |  #2

Welcome to the Domke family. I love my F3.

Paul
Blogexternal link | Gearexternal link | Galleryexternal link
Bag Reviews: Domke F-3x | More to come...

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 10, 2008 15:54 |  #3

Thanks. I can understand why people love the Domkes so much now... there is nothing that really compares. (Looks wise at least. )

macroshot
Stuck by a stickie
2,983 posts
Joined Sep 2007
nacho cheese
May 10, 2008 16:07 as a reply to Andy_Cam's post |  #4

Good review, Andy. I bought an F6 several months ago and really like the size as well. It fits both my G-series cameras, a couple of converters for my G7, and my new 5D, plus accessories like filters. It is larger than it appears, yet small enough to sling over a shoulder without excess bulk.

I also agree that the insert is somewhat limiting for my 24-105mm f/4 lens, but it does fit nose down w/o the hood. May need to find something that offers a little more stretch?

All in all, a very useful bag. Domke really impressed me with this initial purchase.

I photograph to find out what something will look like photographed.
~ Garry Winogrand

Cassie
Joined Apr 2005
Here, But I'm Gone
May 10, 2008 21:23 |  #5

Thanks for the review! This is the bag I want to order in the coming weeks, I have a
20D with grip though, I see you don't have one (grip), do you think I'll be able to fit 20D and grip in there?

Thanks.

http://thompson-photo.smugmug.com/ (external link)
https://instagram.com/​vegaquarium (external link)
5D MK IV
35 F/2 IS * Shorty-Forty * 50L II * Keg II :D
430 EX II

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 11, 2008 02:30 |  #6

A mate of mine uses the F6 with his D300 and grip so it must be possible. He has cut the 4 compartment section up a bit though to fit it in.

The space on the right hand side will stretch out width wise as the bag is soft. If you dont put a lens in the spot where I have my 70-200 then a 20D + Grip should go in without a problem there. There is no padding on the bag there except on the bottom which is the downside.

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 11, 2008 03:08 |  #7

I have just seen in the "Show me your camera bag" thread, somebody uses the F6 with a 1DMKIII so a 20D and grip will definately not be a problem. It just depends on what lenses you want to get in there too.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Netherlands
May 11, 2008 04:22 as a reply to Andy_Cam's post |  #8

Domke bags are great, but the inserts suck. I can't even fit my 17-40L in it with attached hood (doesn't matter if it's reversed or not).

Where did you buy this bag in the Netherlands by the way?

Gear Flickrexternal link Photoblogexternal link

Andy_Cam
THREAD ­ STARTER
385 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Netherlands
May 11, 2008 04:37 |  #9

Foto Konijnenberg. They are the importer for NL.

sOid
207 posts
Joined Apr 2007
Netherlands
May 11, 2008 04:42 |  #10

Andy_Cam wrote in post #5501368external link
Foto Konijnenberg. They are the importer for NL.

Thought so :) Thanks.

Gear Flickrexternal link Photoblogexternal link

Bumgardnern
976 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Nashvegas
May 11, 2008 20:27 |  #11

I use this same bag for my 1DMKIII and it fits my camera, 70-200 f2.8IS with hood on it (the fabric stretches eventually), 50mm f1.4 on camera, 85mm f1.8, and NIkon 18-35mm f3.5-5.6 or 24mm TSE. I also fit alot of other junk in the bag.

You should see what I can fit in my larger F1X (a clue is all the above plus a 300mm f2.8.).

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
May 12, 2008 15:14 |  #12

sOid wrote in post #5501336external link
Domke bags are great, but the inserts suck. I can't even fit my 17-40L in it with attached hood (doesn't matter if it's reversed or not).

To me that's actually a plus. The insert squares fit the lenses and only lenses, so I stack all my hoods together outside of the insert. This is actually a more efficient use of space than having each insert square be big enough to hold a 17-40L with hood attached.

Yohan ­ Pamudji
Goldmember
2,994 posts
Joined Jun 2007
Mississippi
May 12, 2008 15:19 |  #13

By the way, I also have the F-6 and really love it for personal outings where I don't want to carry a whole bunch of stuff. It easily holds a smaller non-gripped camera like the 20D with lens attached, 3 more lenses, flash, hoods, etc. I've stuck a 1DII in there before, but it's not a comfortable fit--the top flap doesn't sit quite right with the 1DII in there.

randomlinh
992 posts
Joined Jul 2006
Maryland
May 12, 2008 21:42 |  #14

I generally have my velocity 7 I carry around when I don't need to carry everything. I'm not liking it too much anymore, and have been contemplating this. My only gripe is the bag is not padded itself. I've noticed people like to run into me when I have a shoulder bag on... the padding would be nice to have.

The other issue is the cost and inserts :)

Thanks for the post. Good to hear the 70-200 fits, as I just picked one up (a shorter sigma, so I'll have a little more room).

TheHoff
Don't Hassle....
8,804 posts
Joined Jan 2008
Vancouver, BC
May 13, 2008 08:15 |  #15

Yohan Pamudji wrote in post #5510044external link
To me that's actually a plus. The insert squares fit the lenses and only lenses, so I stack all my hoods together outside of the insert. This is actually a more efficient use of space than having each insert square be big enough to hold a 17-40L with hood attached.

I do the same. Also check out the J-series inserts. They are square, like the normal series, but the inner dividers are much more flexible for larger lenses.

••Vancouver Wedding Photographer external link••| [gear list] | Latest blog: 5 steps to stopping image lossexternal link

sponsored links

28,436 views & 0 likes for this thread
Domke F6 review
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.