FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge
Thread started 13 Dec 2004 (Monday) 17:35   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

aikidoforever
Joined Oct 2004
85 posts
Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

So how many of you received the fake Paypal email.... I did.

I received it 3 times or so. On the third time, I did log on and almost completed the information but had a weird feeling. I was wondering why Paypal was requesting this info, when they already had it, and threatening to suspend my account when they had not done so to date? Three warnings and no suspended account. I looked up at the address bar and noticed that it did not say paypal. So I cancelled out. Later I saw the notification that this site was down due to this scam. Wow, that was close. As a precaution I did go to my Paypal account (the real one) and changed my password. No problem... thank goodness.

Did anyone get hit? If so, does Paypal assist in any way?

Thanks,

Post #1, Dec 13, 2004 17:35:28

20D, 17-85 IS USM, 100-400 L IS USM, 580EX, i9900, paper, this, that and the next thing... What does a negative mean on your bank passbook?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Belmondo
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2003
42,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I haven't heard of anyone actually falling for it in our forum. I think the problem was well publicized and people were put on notice pretty quickly. Let's hope so anyway.

Post #2, Dec 13, 2004 17:40:19

I'm not short. I'm concentrated awesome!

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
Joined Feb 2003
12,743 posts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

I closed my paypal account - that way, I'm safe. Never used it anyway.

Post #3, Dec 13, 2004 17:45:04 as a reply to Belmondo's post 4 minutes earlier.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

FlyingPete
I am immune
Joined Oct 2003
4,123 posts
East Tamaki, Auckland, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I got suspicious when I realised I didn't have a PayPal account!

Post #4, Dec 13, 2004 18:04:41 as a reply to Tom W's post 19 minutes earlier.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

roanjohn
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2003
3,791 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I changed my password.............d​id I do something wrong??.........paypal asked me to change it through an email I received........

RO1

Post #5, Dec 13, 2004 18:10:32 as a reply to FlyingPete's post 5 minutes earlier.

www.pbase.com/roanjohnexternal link

sponsored links
FlyingPete
I am immune
Joined Oct 2003
4,123 posts
East Tamaki, Auckland, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

roanjohn wrote:
I changed my password.............d​id I do something wrong??.........paypal asked me to change it through an email I received........

RO1

No, please don't tell us that!

Post #6, Dec 13, 2004 18:12:40 as a reply to roanjohn's post 2 minutes earlier.

Peter Lowden.
Gear List: Kodak Brownie Reflex BR20 with 80mm f/11 lens and some digital stuff. EOS Owner since 1996! (Click here for complete List)

robertwgross
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2002
9,462 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

roanjohn wrote:

RO1

I think a quotation by P.T. Barnum goes here.

---Bob Gross---

Post #7, Dec 13, 2004 18:20:59 as a reply to roanjohn's post 10 minutes earlier.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
Joined Feb 2003
12,743 posts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

roanjohn wrote:

RO1

Yes - go to www.paypal.comexternal link and check your account. It may well have been hijacked (and it still may be under the old password). Even if it seems normal, change your password again, but make sure you're at their real address. Don't use the link that shows up in an e-mail.

The hijackers are experts at faking addresses in e-mail to make it look like you're clicking the correct address.

Post #8, Dec 13, 2004 18:22:05 as a reply to roanjohn's post 11 minutes earlier.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

merrrrjig
Joined Nov 2004
281 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I get those emails all the time, the funny part is that they send it to my normal email account and not the email accout that is connected to my payapl account, you can always tell by if it says: dear paypal user or dear-youremail, if it say your actual email then it might be good

Post #9, Dec 13, 2004 19:14:26 as a reply to Tom W's post 52 minutes earlier.

1D mark II, 20D 18-55 kit lens, 580ex flash. 28-135 IS USM 50mm 1.8, 20 2.8, 70-200 f/2.8 L and Pocket Wizards, Next? 17-40f/4L

chris.bailey
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2003
2,061 posts
Norwich, Norfolk, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I seem to get one from one bank or another on a daily basis and I ignore the lot of them, the Paypal one was "just another day at the scam hunt"

Post #10, Dec 14, 2004 12:32:28

JZaun
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2004
2,488 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I signed on and when I saw what they were asking for. I signed off, went to my other Paypal address and changed my PW!!

Now I got a msg telling me I had won a new PC! :) Went right by that one, then I got a msg from the Netherlands saying I had won their lottery, I never entered :D It goes on and on..Scam scam scam!!!

MY MOTO
don't answer anything over the internet.

JZ

Post #11, Dec 14, 2004 12:41:30 as a reply to chris.bailey's post 9 minutes earlier.

sponsored links
Cadwell
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2004
7,333 posts
Hampshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Well I was kinda suspicious about it because

1. I don't have a paypal account
  2. The email address used to contact me is only used by this forum and one other place. I would never have used it for anything financial
So I am pleased to say I didn't "fall for it". I haven't seen any further spams coming in to that email address so I guess they didn't harvest the addresses.

Post #12, Dec 14, 2004 13:00:13 as a reply to JZaun's post 18 minutes earlier.

Glenn
My Pictures: Motorsportexternal link/Canoe Poloexternal link/Other Stuffexternal link

roanjohn
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2003
3,791 posts
New York, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I think it was legitimate as it sent me straight to the paypal site......

.......but I'll change my password anyways...........I checked my past activity and everything looks normal.

Ro1

Post #13, Dec 14, 2004 13:07:25 as a reply to JZaun's post 25 minutes earlier.

www.pbase.com/roanjohnexternal link

arumdevil
Joined May 2004
643 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I got the mail but was suspicious straight away, checked the from address and wasn't PP, sent Paypal a copy of the message and headers and they verified it was a scam. then, worst of all, this site went down

hope nobody got screwed up by it...

Post #14, Dec 14, 2004 13:18:52 as a reply to roanjohn's post 11 minutes earlier.

Regards, arum.
"Originality is merely an illusion" M.C.Escher

5Dc[+[URL="http://www.​magiclantern.fm/forum/​index.php?topic=1010.0​"]ML-BETA4] | 50 f/1.4 USM | 24 f/2.8 | 70-210 f/4 | YN560-II >[URL="http://photograp​hy-on-the.net/forum/showpost​.php?p=15267477&postco​unt=3269"] gear list <Photosexternal link

scottbergerphoto
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2003
5,430 posts
Brooklyn, NY, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

What you got is known as Phishing. They send you an e mail that looks nearly identical to to a bank, financial institution, or other supposed account that you have. Sometimes there are words that are misspelled. There is a link that you are supposed to use to update your information. NEVER RESPOND TO AN E MAIL REQUESTING THAT YOU PROVIDE CONFIDENTIAL INFORMATION. LEGITIMATE FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS DON'T DO THIS. NEVER USE THE PROVIDED LINK. EXIT YOUR EMAIL AND GO TO YOUR INSTITUTION'S WEB SITE BY TYPING IT'S NAME IN YOUR BROWSER AND ACCESSING YOUR ACCOUNT INFORMATION. FOR MORE INFORMATION GO TO WWW.FTC.GOVexternal link and do a search "phishing".
Scott

Post #15, Dec 14, 2004 13:26:08 as a reply to arumdevil's post 7 minutes earlier.

One World, One Voice Against Terror,
Best Regards,
Scott
ScottBergerPhotography

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,187 views & 0 likes for this thread
Paypal scam email
FORUMS Community Talk, Chatter & Official Stuff The Lounge

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES