Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #1
Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife

Default Wood walking stick monopod...what hardware for screw mount?

So I'm into woodworking a little and am working on some wood walking sticks that I want to use as a monopod. Here's what I'm working with. I'm thinking of just getting a screw like this, and tapping a hole on the stop and permanently screwing it in, then i'll have to screw the whole stick onto my cam. Ideas and thoughts?

Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #2
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Default Re: Wood walking stick monopod...what hardware for screw mount?

Look for a hanger bolt - wood screw thread at one end and 1/4-20 at the other.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #3
Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Look for a hanger bolt - wood screw thread at one end and 1/4-20 at the other.
Thanks Jon!!! That's why I love this place. My local Ace should have these. I will pick one up!
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #4
jhom

Mounting studs typically used for monopods and tripods are either 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16.

My Gear
jhom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #5
tracknut

Another thought, depending on how fancy you want to get. You could put an "insert nut" into the top of the walking stick, which is a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside. That would facilitate threading the machine screw like in your initial note, in and out, without damaging the wood side of the fitting. You could even have a matching wood "top" on the walking stick, which screws into the fitting so that when you're not using it as a monopod, the fittings and such don't show.

Dave
tracknut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #6
Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
Another thought, depending on how fancy you want to get. You could put an "insert nut" into the top of the walking stick, which is a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside. That would facilitate threading the machine screw like in your initial note, in and out, without damaging the wood side of the fitting. You could even have a matching wood "top" on the walking stick, which screws into the fitting so that when you're not using it as a monopod, the fittings and such don't show.

Dave
This is actually what I originally wanted to do. I just didn't know what sort of threaded sleeve would work.

Is this a specialty part still find it an an Ace Hardware?
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #7
Laramie

Like this Dave?

Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #8
tracknut

Exactly, yes. I was just poking around online to make sure I had the term right. I see various versions, you might also search on "tee nut". Some are threaded with a wood thread on the outside, some like what you show, and the tee nut seems to usually be wacked in with a hammer (which looks a bit non-professional to me). But all are geared to the same idea, installing a female machine thread into wood, such that a machine screw can be used in a stable way.

Dunno if they can be found at Ace...

Dave
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #9
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I think I'd go with the hanger bolt and maybe put a tee nut in the "cap". Coat the hanger bolt with epoxy (or put epoxy in the hole first) and it won't be backing out on you.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #10
tracknut

I'm thinking the hanger bolt on the bottom half of the walking stick, and the insert nut in the "cap" on the top of the walking stick, that will screw on to the hanger bolt when your camera isn't mounted in it. That might be the ticket.

Dave

Edit: Wow, sorry Jon, I really didn't just cut/paste your note!
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #11
Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
I think I'd go with the hanger bolt and maybe put a tee nut in the "cap". Coat the hanger bolt with epoxy (or put epoxy in the hole first) and it won't be backing out on you.
So use the hanger boat, and the tee-nut would just add a little more strength to the the attachment point? I could always countersink the tee-nut into the cap so it looked clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracknut View Post
I'm thinking the hanger bolt on the bottom half of the walking stick, and the insert nut in the "cap" on the top of the walking stick, that will screw on to the hanger bolt when your camera isn't mounted in it. That might be the ticket.
Dave
Edit: Wow, sorry Jon, I really didn't just cut/paste your note!
Yea, I agree with both ya'll. Having it anchored through the hangbolt will give more strength and stability.

When not attached to camera, I'm sure I could fab up some sort of cap to cover the bolt.
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #12
KirkHMB

http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41311

Item C would be a little higher end than the T nut. Those things you showed above are somewhere in between T nuts and this. Those typically are driven in by deadheading a bolt into the fitting, then driving it into the hole in the end of the stick.

Another woodworker here......

Gear List
KirkHMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of May 2008 (Thu)   #13
Laramie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirkHMB View Post
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/pa...=3,41306,41311

Item C would be a little higher end than the T nut. Those things you showed above are somewhere in between T nuts and this. Those typically are driven in by deadheading a bolt into the fitting, then driving it into the hole in the end of the stick.

Another woodworker here......
That insert is what I was looking for. will still sit flush and will at the strength. Between this, a long hanger bolt and some 2-part epoxy, it will be in there for life