Wood walking stick monopod...what hardware for screw mount?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 15 May 2008 (Thursday) 11:32   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Laramie
Still livin' the cowboylife
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
Inland Empire, California
[MORE/SHARE]

So I'm into woodworking a little and am working on some wood walking sticks that I want to use as a monopod. Here's what I'm working with. I'm thinking of just getting a screw like this, and tapping a hole on the stop and permanently screwing it in, then i'll have to screw the whole stick onto my cam. Ideas and thoughts?

IMAGE: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/images/items/391060.jpg

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://i49.photobucket​.com ...ley/20080515-IMG_1006.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Byte size: ZERO

Post #1, May 15, 2008 11:32:29

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Look for a hanger boltexternal link - wood screw thread at one end and 1/4-20 at the other.

Post #2, May 15, 2008 11:37:25

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #5530039external link
Look for a hanger boltexternal link - wood screw thread at one end and 1/4-20 at the other.

Thanks Jon!!! That's why I love this place. My local Ace should have these. I will pick one up!

Post #3, May 15, 2008 11:40:56

5DIII | 40D | 17-40 f4L | Tamron 28-75 2.8 | 50 1.4 | 70-200 2.8L | Oly Zuiko 50 macro | Tamron 1.4x

jhom
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2007
1,320 posts
Dallas, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

Mounting studs typically used for monopods and tripods are either 1/4"-20 or 3/8"-16.

Post #4, May 15, 2008 11:46:24

Jim

My Gear

tracknut
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,740 posts
Folsom, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Another thought, depending on how fancy you want to get. You could put an "insert nut" into the top of the walking stick, which is a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside. That would facilitate threading the machine screw like in your initial note, in and out, without damaging the wood side of the fitting. You could even have a matching wood "top" on the walking stick, which screws into the fitting so that when you're not using it as a monopod, the fittings and such don't show.

Dave

Post #5, May 15, 2008 13:04:48

Performance/sport dog photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
"Always available to shoot your dog"

sponsored links
Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tracknut wrote in post #5530551external link
Another thought, depending on how fancy you want to get. You could put an "insert nut" into the top of the walking stick, which is a wood thread on the outside and a machine thread on the inside. That would facilitate threading the machine screw like in your initial note, in and out, without damaging the wood side of the fitting. You could even have a matching wood "top" on the walking stick, which screws into the fitting so that when you're not using it as a monopod, the fittings and such don't show.

Dave

This is actually what I originally wanted to do. I just didn't know what sort of threaded sleeve would work.

Is this a specialty part still find it an an Ace Hardware?

Post #6, May 15, 2008 13:07:45

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Like this Dave?

IMAGE: http://www.woodpeck.com/media/main_knockinflange.jpg

Post #7, May 15, 2008 13:11:06

tracknut
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,740 posts
Folsom, California
[MORE/SHARE]

Exactly, yes. I was just poking around online to make sure I had the term right. I see various versions, you might also search on "tee nut". Some are threaded with a wood thread on the outside, some like what you show, and the tee nut seems to usually be wacked in with a hammer (which looks a bit non-professional to me). But all are geared to the same idea, installing a female machine thread into wood, such that a machine screw can be used in a stable way.

Dunno if they can be found at Ace...

Dave

Post #8, May 15, 2008 13:16:00

Facebookexternal link

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,169 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I think I'd go with the hanger bolt and maybe put a tee nut in the "cap". Coat the hanger bolt with epoxy (or put epoxy in the hole first) and it won't be backing out on you.

Post #9, May 15, 2008 13:21:11

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

tracknut
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
1,740 posts
Folsom, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm thinking the hanger bolt on the bottom half of the walking stick, and the insert nut in the "cap" on the top of the walking stick, that will screw on to the hanger bolt when your camera isn't mounted in it. That might be the ticket.

Dave

Edit: Wow, sorry Jon, I really didn't just cut/paste your note!

Post #10, May 15, 2008 13:22:11

Facebookexternal link

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon wrote in post #5530643external link
I think I'd go with the hanger bolt and maybe put a tee nut in the "cap". Coat the hanger bolt with epoxy (or put epoxy in the hole first) and it won't be backing out on you.

So use the hanger boat, and the tee-nut would just add a little more strength to the the attachment point? I could always countersink the tee-nut into the cap so it looked clean.

tracknut wrote in post #5530656external link
I'm thinking the hanger bolt on the bottom half of the walking stick, and the insert nut in the "cap" on the top of the walking stick, that will screw on to the hanger bolt when your camera isn't mounted in it. That might be the ticket.
Dave
Edit: Wow, sorry Jon, I really didn't just cut/paste your note!

Yea, I agree with both ya'll. Having it anchored through the hangbolt will give more strength and stability.

When not attached to camera, I'm sure I could fab up some sort of cap to cover the bolt.

Post #11, May 15, 2008 13:25:58

sponsored links
KirkHMB
Joined Mar 2007
677 posts
SF Bay Area
[MORE/SHARE]

http://www.leevalley.c​om ...p=44203&cat=3,41306​,41311external link

Item C would be a little higher end than the T nut. Those things you showed above are somewhere in between T nuts and this. Those typically are driven in by deadheading a bolt into the fitting, then driving it into the hole in the end of the stick.

Another woodworker here......

Post #12, May 15, 2008 14:48:27

shooting club VB and club soccer, hoping to get back to landscape work soon.

Gear List

Laramie
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2006
3,220 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

KirkHMB wrote in post #5531178external link
http://www.leevalley.c​om ...p=44203&cat=3,41306​,41311external link

Item C would be a little higher end than the T nut. Those things you showed above are somewhere in between T nuts and this. Those typically are driven in by deadheading a bolt into the fitting, then driving it into the hole in the end of the stick.

Another woodworker here......

That insert is what I was looking for. will still sit flush and will at the strength. Between this, a long hanger bolt and some 2-part epoxy, it will be in there for life

Post #13, May 15, 2008 14:55:45

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,152 views & 0 likes for this thread
Wood walking stick monopod...what hardware for screw mount?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES