Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports
Thread started 17 Dec 2004 (Friday) 13:37
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Go-Karts

transcend
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Oct 2004
North Vancouver
Dec 17, 2004 13:37 |  #1

Went to the track last night - after having reprocessed, they turned out pretty good!

17-40mm at 17,,
pattern metering
iso 400
f b.o
1/350
high speed sync on 380ex

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
MIME changed to 'text/html' | Content warning: script

http://www.fraserbritt​on.comexternal link

sponsored links
Red
505 posts
Joined Jan 2004
South-East UK
Dec 18, 2004 03:50 |  #2

Blown out? Blown up, even! There's gone!!

Digital Rebel/300D, 18-55mm kit lens, 24-85mm USM, Nifty-Fifty, 70-210mm f2.8, 70-300mm APO Macro, Passion

transcend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Oct 2004
North Vancouver
Dec 18, 2004 11:08 |  #3

Heh, ya I will repost now. I reprocessed them..and the results were drastically different!

Red
505 posts
Joined Jan 2004
South-East UK
Dec 20, 2004 12:51 as a reply to transcend's post |  #4

Nice low down angle. I took a ton of Go-karting photos the other weekend and found that unless someone had the back-end right out or were mid-air, there was no feeling of any speed. Seems like you've got the same

Digital Rebel/300D, 18-55mm kit lens, 24-85mm USM, Nifty-Fifty, 70-210mm f2.8, 70-300mm APO Macro, Passion

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Dec 20, 2004 13:11 |  #5

I agree with Red - good to see a low angle.

Did you try any panning shots? Sadly, in these shots the karts look as if they are parked.

Also, the very dark backgrounds make the use of flash seem somewhat harsh - perhaps it would be better to expose a little more for the ambient light.

This looks tough to shoot though - I don't envy you!

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

mr.photoguy
Goldmember
1,012 posts
Joined Nov 2004
new york
Dec 20, 2004 13:43 |  #6

Nice, here are some of mine.
http://community.websh​ots.com ...viewall&albumID=226​877139external link

I like the photo's, but there isn't any movement, or blur to the tires.

Bruce
~~Your learn a lot more when your camera is out of hybernation....~~
my pbase pageexternal link
C20D
10mm 2.5

transcend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Oct 2004
North Vancouver
Dec 22, 2004 14:01 |  #7

I agree, next time i will shoot with a lower shutter speed to try and get some blur out of the tires. The problem being the necessary use of the flash is going to stop the action anyways. Any good ways to get around it?

I have never shot go karts indoors before (or at all).

Most of my shooting is cycling based.

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Dec 22, 2004 15:40 as a reply to transcend's post |  #8

transcend wrote:
I agree, next time i will shoot with a lower shutter speed to try and get some blur out of the tires. The problem being the necessary use of the flash is going to stop the action anyways. Any good ways to get around it?

I have never shot go karts indoors before (or at all).

Most of my shooting is cycling based.

Bias your exposures a little more towards the ambient light... then you'll show some more motion in the images... try setting your camera an flash manually rather than relying on the camera's metering...

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

transcend
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,460 posts
Joined Oct 2004
North Vancouver
Dec 22, 2004 18:34 as a reply to gmen's post |  #9

gmen wrote:
Bias your exposures a little more towards the ambient light... then you'll show some more motion in the images... try setting your camera an flash manually rather than relying on the camera's metering...

Th eproblem was I had to stop down ALOT due to having a 380 ex flash. I can't manually control the power. I used -2 FEC as well, this has been an ongoing issue with having a low budget flash. When i can afford one I will probably pick up a 580ex, but in the mean time I have to make do.

Red
505 posts
Joined Jan 2004
South-East UK
Dec 23, 2004 03:42 as a reply to transcend's post |  #10

I've found that most karting centres have a wide opening along one wall. Try to position yourself close to that, but not facing it. Also, a wider appeture with a slower shutter speed should give you some action feel, a good amount of light, and a nice shallow DOF that focuses on one kart

skyphix
404 posts
Joined Dec 2004
South Glens Falls, NY
Dec 28, 2004 10:22 as a reply to Red's post |  #11

I know that this is a somewhat Old thread... so I apologize for digging it up...

If you have a Tripod and the room:

But something that may work, use a slower shutter speed and bigger apature. Focus on the Kart and follow it while the photo is being taken. I dont know how good the lighting is, but forego the flash and try something like f3.5 and a 1" exposure and work from there. It will probably be overexposed and the speed streaks a bit too long at that length, but its a starting poitn, and you should get some motion blur in the background while keeping the Kart in focus. This will probably take a lot of practice ( I haven't really perfected it either ), but once completed, provides an astounding feel for the speed.

Eric
Digital:
Hacked 300D, BG-E1
Film:
Lost, broken, beat Rebel G that was my first SLR - FOUND!!
EOS 650
Yashica Electro 35 GSN
Lenses
18-55 EF-S
Surprisingly good 35-80 F4-5.6 III
50mm 1.8 Mk1
70-210 F4

OneManArmy
212 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Dec 28, 2004 10:24 |  #12
banned

The colors look great in those for being so dark. I can barely tell it was done using a flash. And in general, I hate the way flash makes photos look; I'd much rather use a fast prime indoors or in low light.

(2) MkII's, 24-70L, 70-200L, 300 2.8, 400 2.8, Oops! I fell asleep at work again! :o

sponsored links

5,758 views & 0 likes for this thread
Go-Karts
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Motorsports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.