Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive
Thread started 20 May 2008 (Tuesday) 11:09
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon EF 200mm f/2 L IS USM

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,719 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 27, 2016 16:57 |  #4576

Zweihaender wrote in post #17874040 (external link)
The 200mm f2.0 has the best IS of all lenses. ....

I appreciate your enthusiasm for the 200m, I love mine as well.
When it was released 8 years ago in 2008, it did indeed have the best IS system that Canon had ever put in a lens! It's press releases all claimed 4 stop IS, however I had forgotten that later documentation, ( including right in my owners manual) bumped it up to the 5 stop claim. I feel that the 5 Stop claim was added later when it was found that at the shorter 200mm FL the same IS was able to offer more than it could at higher FL.

It is however an "inbetweener" design, before the MkII IS System was developed, yes more advanced than the IS in the older MkI IS lenses.

Some other lenses with the same "mid-generation" IS system are the 800mm f/5.6L IS and the 70-200mm f/4L IS. They too all claimed 4 stop IS.

These all were a step up from the original 300,400, 500 and 600mm IS lenses, but it was years BEFORE the 2012 release of the MkII 300-600mm lenses which improved again on the system.

Please don't get me wrong I am not knocking the 200mm in ANY way, it is superb! And this being a 200mm thread I'll bow out after this reply on the subject. Nor am I in any way trying to diminish your results as posted which speaks for itself. However, just fyi with the new 100-400mm MkII which also has an improved IS system vs. the 200mm, many of us are getting similar amazing results @ 400mm!

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Jan 27, 2016 21:49 |  #4577

airfrogusmc wrote in post #17874781 (external link)
Why would you spend all of the $$$$ to get that incredible sharpness only to put a cheap piece of unmatched glass on the front of it? I had mine for almost 8 years and used it in all conditions and when i sold it a month or so ago the glass was as clean as the day I bought it. I have switched to Leica M from Canon and that is one of the few lenses Canon makes that can run with Leica glass when taking sharpness and character. You think Canon Ls are pricey LoL. I paid out what I paid for my 200 2L for my 35 1.4 Summilux ASPH FLE. I only use filters for a desired effect. I still have a couple of old Canon lenses that have never had a filter on them (one is the 55 1.2 Aspherical almost 40 years old) and the glass looks as good as the day I bought them. Hood yes because they keep unwanted stray light from striking the front element but I would never put a filter for protection on a great lens. Also I have a friend the had a filter shatter and ruin a very expensive lens. The tiny shards of glass imbedded in the from element from an impact that would have never shattered a front element.

At least for me its an expensive lens. So the tiny shard of glass could be imbedded in the front element? That sounds horrible.

zeus77 wrote in post #17874786 (external link)
You can not go wrong with 200 f2, just just do it...best lens in every way I have.

On march there will be a photography exhibition in my country, I need to try both of them (otus 85 v 200 f2) before buying one. If God allow, I want both of them :D

PCousins wrote in post #17874901 (external link)
I have owned my 200 f2 for several years now, I always use the hood, it's big enough to protect the front glass element, when I finish for the day shooting with it I put a hood cover on, they are about £5 a piece......I use these for my 200, 400DO & 500 (see pictures). There is not a need to worry about scratching unless you are real clumsy. The 3 of my telephotos are all 4+ years old but are as good as the day they came out of their packaging by using covers.

Nice, that hood cover maybe the one I looking for, to protect the front element, even it still not meet my need. It seems there is no protector that available for super telephotos front element while the lens is on duty.

Thanks to all of you, for your inputs. Really appreciate that. The 200 f2 is now on my top list also the otus. Please dont get bored answering my questions :D

zeus77
Joined Aug 2015
Croatia
Jan 28, 2016 01:30 as a reply to CyberDyneSystems's post |  #4578

Perhaps you are right , I have not used 100-400 mk2 ...but 200 f2 simply gives his character when talking about IQ. I think it is not just a question of IS. When we look at all - rendering , color , contrasts, out of focus field , bokeh, sharpness, IS and f2.0.....if you know how to get max. from 200 it is special beast! Every such lens has its own character and it is difficult to be wise...200, 300, 400, 500.......It is my opinion without offending someone.

rwong2k
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2004
Coquitlam,BC,Canada
Jan 28, 2016 17:48 |  #4579

I can't put this lens down, it's so much fun

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1620/24050680113_ac983750b7_c.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: https://flic.kr/p/CDh2​hv] (external link)Forest shoot (external link) by Raymond Wong (external link), on Flickr

5DMK3 + Contax CY Lens
http://rw-photography.ca/external link

http://www.facebook.co​m/RwPhotographyVancouv​erexternal link

zeus77
Joined Aug 2015
Croatia
Post has been edited over 1 year ago by zeus77.
Jan 29, 2016 13:03 |  #4580

So much, much fun....

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Zweihaender
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 29, 2016 13:36 |  #4581

What's the maximum resolution for embedding photos in this thread? 1280 pixels for the long side of the image or more?

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
Jan 29, 2016 13:37 as a reply to Zweihaender's post |  #4582

might be 1200.

if you want wider, then you will just have to host it somewhere and provide a link.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

Zweihaender
Joined Dec 2011
Jan 29, 2016 14:23 |  #4583

Some older Taekwondo photos:

IMAGE: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160129/ozynuyh5.jpg

IMAGE: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160129/8zn48nof.jpg

IMAGE: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160129/rireu3em.jpg

gouf
Joined Jun 2012
Jan 30, 2016 00:35 |  #4584

6d.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sony A7 II
https://www.facebook.c​om ...otography/165087536​980471 (external link)

frankchn
455 posts
Joined Jun 2009
Jan 30, 2016 02:20 |  #4585

PeterAlex7 wrote in post #17875718 (external link)
On march there will be a photography exhibition in my country, I need to try both of them (otus 85 v 200 f2) before buying one. If God allow, I want both of them :D

Thanks to all of you, for your inputs. Really appreciate that. The 200 f2 is now on my top list also the otus. Please dont get bored answering my questions :D

I actually have experience with both and they are both very good lenses. I prefer the Otus for posed portrait shots and medium-tele landscape shots on a tripod (I think the look is crisper and clearer, if that makes sense). The 200 f/2 I usually use for shooting dance, theater and indoor sports where the AF and focal length comes in really handy. The 200 f/2 is of course a more versatile lens as well, so if you have a budget for just one right now, I would say the 200 f/2 is better.

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Jan 30, 2016 04:57 |  #4586

frankchn wrote in post #17878662 (external link)
I actually have experience with both and they are both very good lenses. I prefer the Otus for posed portrait shots and medium-tele landscape shots on a tripod (I think the look is crisper and clearer, if that makes sense). The 200 f/2 I usually use for shooting dance, theater and indoor sports where the AF and focal length comes in really handy. The 200 f/2 is of course a more versatile lens as well, so if you have a budget for just one right now, I would say the 200 f/2 is better.

I've decided the otus will be my future special lens. It's not because the otus has less weight and price, or the 200 f2 isnt fits my need, or the otus better in eliminating flare, etc. It's just because I cant let my mother holding about 3 to 3.5kg (60D+200f2 or 5DIII+200f2) while taking photos, it will hurt her arms. My current camera is canon 60D.

I think it would be wiser if I choose the most usable lens combination for both cameras, 60D and 5DIII. If I choose option 2, the 60D can't handle the 135L, because its lack of stabilizer. 135mm is too long for apsc, must be hard to freeze subject and avoid shaking images, play with high ISO will destroy the images, etc.

Option 1 is good for everyone, also for the cameras :-)

tpatana
460 posts
Joined Feb 2007
Redmond, WA
Jan 30, 2016 18:20 |  #4587

I'm afraid to rent this lens. It might cost me ~$4000-$5000 the next week.

Have: Many cameras with some Ls
Kendo.Photography (external link) / Kendo@Facebook (external link) / TeroPhotography.com (external link) / Tero@Facebook (external link) / CF card Speedtest on my gear (external link)

scobols
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2006
Waconia, MN
Feb 03, 2016 13:16 |  #4588

I just sent one of these back to CPS - guess who's now in the market for one... -?

All I can say is: WOW! By far the best (and heaviest) lens I've ever used. I'm selling my 85L and using those funds toward one of these. I'll probably sell the 135 as well.

Here's just one from a gymnastics meet last weekend.

IMAGE: http://www.scottbolster.com/potn/IMG_2730.jpg

www.scottbolster.comexternal link
facebookexternal link

Zweihaender
Joined Dec 2011
Feb 03, 2016 17:06 |  #4589

IMAGE: http://fs5.directupload.net/images/160204/wnnnt36c.jpg

An unplanned snapshot. The face is a little bit dark, but I didn't have additional lighting.

PeterAlex7
156 posts
Joined Dec 2015
Feb 04, 2016 21:56 |  #4590

I've read somewhere, someone says that canon will no longer service this lens in the future. Just like its older brother, the 200 f1.8 -?

He also said its because this lens has crystal element inside. Is that true?

sponsored links

1,284,563 views & 798 likes for this thread
Canon EF 200mm f/2 L IS USM
FORUMS Sample Photo Archives Lens Sample Photo Archive

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.