LIST NEARBY THREADS

tfire
Joined May 2006
31 posts
NW England
[MORE/SHARE]

This has probably been done to death here, so I apologise, but .... :rolleyes:

The venue I'm going to tomorrow night has this on their web site:

"No professional 'type' camaras [Sic], video camaras [Sic] or tape recorders will be allowed in the venue."

So I may get harassed by the security people because I've got an SLR, but everyone else with a mobile phone will go in without a problem. Next morning, they'll have posted their videos on Youtube, with dreadful sound and image quality, and do the artist a big disservice.

Meanwhile, I'm just a fan, who's bought some gear with which to try to do the job properly. I'm not trying to make anything out of taking photos, just trying to take good shots of an artist I respect.

Last week, family members of this same artist asked me for some of the images I'd taken and posted on the web, so I can't be doing too much harm - or can I?

It's a mad world, isn't it? Anyone had similar problems, with advice on how to slide past the restrictions?

Grrrr.......

Post #1, May 23, 2008 15:06:25

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
90c4
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
1,264 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've snuck cameras into venues plenty of times. The best way is to wear a black t-shirt, put the camera over your shoulder and slide it around to your back, and wear a long sleeve shirt over it. When you walk through a pat-down, if there is one, just put your hands in the air and 9 times out of 10 they won't even frisk you. Sometimes I pretend I'm talking on my cell phone as I go in so I look distracted and they tend to leave me alone. If they do frisk and find it, just claim ignorance. I've also slide a 400D with a 70-300DO in the back of my pants... and was asked to pull my shirt up in the front, but was let in because they didn't ask me to pull it up in the back or frisk. If you get caught doing that it would be a little tougher to talk your way out of. Regardless, at a lot of venues they check before scanning your ticket, so if you get popped you go back to your car and drop it off. It's also good to check the lines for a few minutes and see which ones are less likely to frisk.

Post #2, May 23, 2008 15:19:13

www.facebook.com/stage​shooterexternal linkhttp://www.facebook.co​m/stageshooterexternal link

bacchanal
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2007
5,161 posts
Fort Wayne, IN
[MORE/SHARE]

The rules exist for a reason (well a lot of reasons potentially), and I generally don't see any good reason to disrespect them. If the artist is semi-big (or not), you can bet there will be people there (with proper credentials) getting the shots. I think it's best to just enjoy the show unless you really want to pursue concert photography on at least a semi-serious level...and that takes a little time and probably lower initial expectations.
It's just my opinion, but to me the number of cameras at concerts today is killing (or has killed) the concert experience. Obviously I'm a little hypocritical, but I tend to go to shows that most people (let alone photographers) don't care about.

Post #3, May 23, 2008 16:07:17 as a reply to 90c4's post 48 minutes earlier.

Drew A. | gear | photosexternal link

Perry ­ Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...
Joined Jul 2007
11,954 posts
Toronto/Hong Kong
[MORE/SHARE]

Just enjoy the show ;). I'm going to see one of my favourite artists on Friday, and I shoot concerts, but I'm not gonna bring any gear since it's not allowed, and I'm gonna enjoy the show and get as drunk as I want. It's gonna be covered by their own togs anyway :p. Sure it'd be fun, but sometimes you just gotta take a hint and just enjoy the show.

It's not fun for anyone in the crowd if everyone's a photographer. When I actually am shooting a show, I get special space up front, so nobody gets disturbed. I think shooting from the audience would actually be a) very lame from a photographer's POV and b) annoying for others.

Post #4, May 24, 2008 04:32:33

Perry | flickrexternal link | C&C ALWAYS welcome | Gear
POTN Toronto | Sharpening sticky | Perspective sticky [READ THIS]

narlus
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2006
7,570 posts
North Andover, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

perryge wrote in post #5586814external link
When I actually am shooting a show, I get special space up front, so nobody gets disturbed. I think shooting from the audience would actually be a) very lame from a photographer's POV and b) annoying for others.

i've shot close to a hundred shows (w/ credentials), and the number of times i've shot from a photo pit is around 7.

it'd be nice to have a pit, but it doesn't always work out that way. this obviously depends on the venue size, but there are a couple of 2-3K buildings (avalon, orpheum) which don't have pits.

Post #5, May 24, 2008 07:18:19

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

sponsored links
René ­ Damkot
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2005
39,854 posts
enschede, netherlands
[MORE/SHARE]

tfire wrote in post #5583630external link
advice on how to slide past the restrictions?

Give the venue a call and try to get permission to photograph.
If you don't get permission, don't bring the camera.

Post #6, May 24, 2008 11:00:57

"I think the idea of art kills creativity" - Douglas Adams
Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.
MySpaceexternal link
Get Colormanagedexternal link
Twitterexternal link
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.

tipsy
*hic
Joined Feb 2007
590 posts
Cardiff
[MORE/SHARE]

Sound advice from Rene, as per usual.
I'd take it if i were you, don't cheat on it.

x

Post #7, May 25, 2008 17:34:42

www.racmedia.co.ukexternal link
TV Cameraman and Photographer
EOS 5D + 24-70mm f2.8 are my main weapons of choice.

DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA
Joined Jun 2007
13,313 posts
South Dakota
[MORE/SHARE]

So, did you get in?

Post #8, May 25, 2008 19:41:33

Derek
Bucketman Karma Fund
http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=9903477#post9​903477
POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds

Full Gear List & Feedback

tfire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
31 posts
NW England
[MORE/SHARE]

DDCSD wrote in post #5595091external link
So, did you get in?

Yes, I did.

Post #9, May 25, 2008 23:50:14

tfire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
31 posts
NW England
[MORE/SHARE]

Based on the results I've got with this band, I've got a promise of photo passes when they tour again. I don't know how I'd have got that access without 'breaking the rules', and trying to show the band in the best way I can.

But, the horde of cameraphone users who post their poor-quality videos on YouTube, and therefore do the band they're supposed to be fans of a disservice, will have the same level of access, without the photo passes - that was my main point.

Post #10, May 25, 2008 23:59:52 as a reply to tfire's post 9 minutes earlier.

tfire
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2006
31 posts
NW England
[MORE/SHARE]

This is an inspiring video of Joe McNally giving a talk at Googleexternal link. In it, he describes breaking a few rules.

Post #11, May 26, 2008 00:15:31

sponsored links
skifurthur
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
Living in his Nowhere Land
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the bigger issue here is that people bringing in quality cameras to show without permission is that it is making driving down the income for working photographers. Fairly good images are being given away to bands and media with the hope that something will happen in the future. I find that is not usually the case. It's a slippery slope that I think we all have to deal with more and more each day.

As a pro, I have to work hard to differentiate my work from the freebies. I gladly do it, but I have often run into the "Why should I pay you when I can get what I need for free?" If you plan on making a living at concert photography, sneaking in cameras seems to be shooting yourself in the foot longterm.

Post #12, May 26, 2008 07:05:57

www.amsaddler.comexternal link
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

Burrelly
Joined Aug 2006
788 posts
Glasgow, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Do not risk sneaking camera's in. Do what I have to do an apply for a pass. People sneaking in camera's makes it very difficult for professional togs to get credentials as they simply keep raising the bar.

I know some acts now only allow national newspapers to shoot them. Where does that leave the smaller papers or magazines?

Post #13, May 28, 2008 05:28:53

http://www.deviantphot​os.comexternal linkhttp://www.fetishdomin​ion.comexternal link
My Gear List

jd40
Joined Nov 2007
321 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I think the "no professional equipment" rule exist is because they afraid people take high quality images and sell them to make money without the artist knowledge/approval.

with the low quality of cell phone/P&S, no magazine would buy them.

Post #14, May 28, 2008 09:43:32

camera don't shoot people, lens don't shoot people, people shoot people

Burrelly
Joined Aug 2006
788 posts
Glasgow, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

jd40 wrote in post #5610990external link
I think the "no professional equipment" rule exist is because they afraid people take high quality images and sell them to make money without the artist knowledge/approval.

with the low quality of cell phone/P&S, no magazine would buy them.

Yeah that and they dont want someone waiving a heavy camera about in the middle of a crowd.

My thoughts on the matter. If they have a no camera rule like that anyone seen with such with no photo pass should be ejected from the venue. It is the only way to stop it.

Post #15, May 28, 2008 10:11:30

http://www.deviantphot​os.comexternal linkhttp://www.fetishdomin​ion.comexternal link
My Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,010 views & 0 likes for this thread
"No professional 'type' camaras..." [sic]
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES