Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 23rd of May 2008 (Fri)   #1
tfire

Default "No professional 'type' camaras..." [sic]

This has probably been done to death here, so I apologise, but ....

The venue I'm going to tomorrow night has this on their web site:
"No professional 'type' camaras [sic], video camaras [sic] or tape recorders will be allowed in the venue."
So I may get harassed by the security people because I've got an SLR, but everyone else with a mobile phone will go in without a problem. Next morning, they'll have posted their videos on Youtube, with dreadful sound and image quality, and do the artist a big disservice.

Meanwhile, I'm just a fan, who's bought some gear with which to try to do the job properly. I'm not trying to make anything out of taking photos, just trying to take good shots of an artist I respect.

Last week, family members of this same artist asked me for some of the images I'd taken and posted on the web, so I can't be doing too much harm - or can I?

It's a mad world, isn't it? Anyone had similar problems, with advice on how to slide past the restrictions?

Grrrr.......

Last edited by tfire : 23rd of May 2008 (Fri) at 15:11.
tfire is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2008 (Fri)   #2
90c4

Default Re: "No professional 'type' camaras..." [sic]

I've snuck cameras into venues plenty of times. The best way is to wear a black t-shirt, put the camera over your shoulder and slide it around to your back, and wear a long sleeve shirt over it. When you walk through a pat-down, if there is one, just put your hands in the air and 9 times out of 10 they won't even frisk you. Sometimes I pretend I'm talking on my cell phone as I go in so I look distracted and they tend to leave me alone. If they do frisk and find it, just claim ignorance. I've also slide a 400D with a 70-300DO in the back of my pants... and was asked to pull my shirt up in the front, but was let in because they didn't ask me to pull it up in the back or frisk. If you get caught doing that it would be a little tougher to talk your way out of. Regardless, at a lot of venues they check before scanning your ticket, so if you get popped you go back to your car and drop it off. It's also good to check the lines for a few minutes and see which ones are less likely to frisk.
90c4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2008 (Fri)   #3
bacchanal
Cream of the Crop

The rules exist for a reason (well a lot of reasons potentially), and I generally don't see any good reason to disrespect them. If the artist is semi-big (or not), you can bet there will be people there (with proper credentials) getting the shots. I think it's best to just enjoy the show unless you really want to pursue concert photography on at least a semi-serious level...and that takes a little time and probably lower initial expectations.
It's just my opinion, but to me the number of cameras at concerts today is killing (or has killed) the concert experience. Obviously I'm a little hypocritical, but I tend to go to shows that most people (let alone photographers) don't care about.
Old 24th of May 2008 (Sat)   #4
Perry Ge
Batteries? We don't need no...

Just enjoy the show . I'm going to see one of my favourite artists on Friday, and I shoot concerts, but I'm not gonna bring any gear since it's not allowed, and I'm gonna enjoy the show and get as drunk as I want. It's gonna be covered by their own togs anyway . Sure it'd be fun, but sometimes you just gotta take a hint and just enjoy the show.

It's not fun for anyone in the crowd if everyone's a photographer. When I actually am shooting a show, I get special space up front, so nobody gets disturbed. I think shooting from the audience would actually be a) very lame from a photographer's POV and b) annoying for others.
Old 24th of May 2008 (Sat)   #5
narlus
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryge View Post
When I actually am shooting a show, I get special space up front, so nobody gets disturbed. I think shooting from the audience would actually be a) very lame from a photographer's POV and b) annoying for others.

i've shot close to a hundred shows (w/ credentials), and the number of times i've shot from a photo pit is around 7.

it'd be nice to have a pit, but it doesn't always work out that way. this obviously depends on the venue size, but there are a couple of 2-3K buildings (avalon, orpheum) which don't have pits.
narlus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2008 (Sat)   #6
René Damkot

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfire View Post
advice on how to slide past the restrictions?

Give the venue a call and try to get permission to photograph.
If you don't get permission, don't bring the camera.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2008 (Sun)   #7
tipsy
*hic

Sound advice from Rene, as per usual.
I'd take it if i were you, don't cheat on it.

x

TV Cameraman and Photographer

EOS 5D + 24-70mm f2.8 are my main weapons of choice.
tipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2008 (Sun)   #8
DDCSD
GIVIN' GOOD KARMA

So, did you get in?

POTN FF L2 MadTown Birds
Full Gear List & Feedback
DDCSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of May 2008 (Sun)   #9
tfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDCSD View Post
So, did you get in?
Yes, I did.
Old 25th of May 2008 (Sun)   #10
tfire

Based on the results I've got with this band, I've got a promise of photo passes when they tour again. I don't know how I'd have got that access without 'breaking the rules', and trying to show the band in the best way I can.

But, the horde of cameraphone users who post their poor-quality videos on YouTube, and therefore do the band they're supposed to be fans of a disservice, will have the same level of access, without the photo passes - that was my main point.
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #11
tfire

This is an inspiring video of Joe McNally giving a talk at Google. In it, he describes breaking a few rules.
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #12
skifurthur

I think the bigger issue here is that people bringing in quality cameras to show without permission is that it is making driving down the income for working photographers. Fairly good images are being given away to bands and media with the hope that something will happen in the future. I find that is not usually the case. It's a slippery slope that I think we all have to deal with more and more each day.

As a pro, I have to work hard to differentiate my work from the freebies. I gladly do it, but I have often run into the "Why should I pay you when I can get what I need for free?" If you plan on making a living at concert photography, sneaking in cameras seems to be shooting yourself in the foot longterm.

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender
skifurthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2008 (Wed)   #13
Burrelly

Do not risk sneaking camera's in. Do what I have to do an apply for a pass. People sneaking in camera's makes it very difficult for professional togs to get credentials as they simply keep raising the bar.

I know some acts now only allow national newspapers to shoot them. Where does that leave the smaller papers or magazines?
Burrelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2008 (Wed)   #14
jd40

I think the "no professional equipment" rule exist is because they afraid people take high quality images and sell them to make money without the artist knowledge/approval.

with the low quality of cell phone/P&S, no magazine would buy them.
Old 28th of May 2008 (Wed)   #15
Burrelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd40 View Post
I think the "no professional equipment" rule exist is because they afraid people take high quality images and sell them to make money without the artist knowledge/approval.

with the low quality of cell phone/P&S, no magazine would buy them.
Yeah that and they dont want someone waiving a heavy camera about in the middle of a crowd.

My thoughts on the matter. If they have a no camera rule like that anyone seen with such with no photo pass should be ejected from the venue. It is the only way to stop it.
Burrelly is offline   Reply With Quote