Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #1
BARBIE

Default viewing 40D images on tv

I tried viewing images on a hd tv pictures look funny to over saturated, I think this function is totally useless.

Canon 75-300mm usm is
tamron 75-28mm xr di
BARBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #2
Hermeto
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: viewing 40D images on tv

TV sets generally have horrible resolution, much worse than most of computer monitors.
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #3
BARBIE

YA I FOUND THAT OUT.

Canon 75-300mm usm is
tamron 75-28mm xr di
BARBIE is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #4
nubu

The problem normally is NOT your HD-TV but the way you connect your Camera. The 40D unfortunatelly has only this ancient chinch connector whereas hdmi should be standard for such high res devices (the new gen Nikons have it...). I am quite happy to use my Sony PS3 as a slideshower. Its is fantastic to look at 40D pics downloaded to the PS3 and being able to dynamically zoom in, move arround on my 52" panasonic plasma. People like it much more than my old analogue slides...

Good luck and USE your HD-TV!!!

nubu
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #5
John_B
Cream of the Crop

BARBIE,
Well it is probably your TV video settings or your photos.

I have a 40" LCD HDTV and just tried displaying photos on it via my 40D's rca cable and the photos looked fine. Not oversaturated.

I have already calibrated my TV as I use it occasionally for computer display. I suggest you try to do the same
John_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #6
nubu

... yes it should not be oversaturated, but nevertheless to use a rca cable (or chinch as I called it) is a shame for both the camera as well as the HD TV. You will only have low video resolution. A hdmi input (via e.g. PS3) or a monitor conection from a pc should show your photos much better on your HD TV...

Cheers
nubu

PS: John_B, compare your image display with your PC on the HDTV with that from the rca cable from the camera...
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #7
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

The RCA video connector provides the lowest possible quality, composite video feed, to be found. How about burning photos onto CD and sticking them into a DVD player which handles JPEG file display? That works wonderfully.
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #8
Elton Balch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
The RCA video connector provides the lowest possible quality, composite video feed, to be found. How about burning photos onto CD and sticking them into a DVD player which handles JPEG file display? That works wonderfully.
EXACTLY!!!
5D Mark III, 24 mm f/1.4 L, 35 mm f/1.4 L, 50 mm f/1.2 L, 85 mm f/1.2 L, 100 mm f/2.8 macro, 135 mm f/2 L, 300 mm f/4 L, 16-35 f/4 L IS, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 580 EX Flash, Speedlight 600 EX RT, 1.4 extender, extension tubes and other stuff.
Elton Balch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #9
tbsteph

There are many options other than directly connecting the camera to your tv. Other posters have made several alternatives already. Personally I use the AppleTV to view photos on my HDTV. Excellent results.
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #10
smorter
Goldmember

40D JPGs are way too saturated imo
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #11
BobOh

Isn't there an adjustment available to turn down the saturation?
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bobbolew/
BobOh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #12
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubu View Post
The problem normally is NOT your HD-TV but the way you connect your Camera. The 40D unfortunatelly has only this ancient chinch connector whereas hdmi should be standard for such high res devices (the new gen Nikons have it...). I am quite happy to use my Sony PS3 as a slideshower. Its is fantastic to look at 40D pics downloaded to the PS3 and being able to dynamically zoom in, move arround on my 52" panasonic plasma. People like it much more than my old analogue slides...

Good luck and USE your HD-TV!!!

nubu
What good will an HDMI connector give you if you shoot RAW? The embedded JPEG file still has a very low resolution. Certainly not worth the added expense. Instead I prefer to have the images on my PC and view them on my monitor. If I want a large display I can use the DVI out of my PC converted to HDMI to run images to my HDTV.

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #13
nubu

@In2Photos, I dont get your point: the RESOLUTION of jpgs and raws are exactly the same...

There is no extra expense for a hdmi connector with nowadays fabrication costs. hdmi is THE standard now and (as I said already available in the new Nikons). I love Canon as you see in my gear list but I saw the perfect implementation of hdmi output in the studio of my friend (Nikon) during a fashion shoot. A hdmi live view is very nice and much better than the usb live view available for the 40D that I regularely use.

Concerning the use of burned DVDs (@Wilt): sorry the resloution is then again normally a low one, only the conection to the TV is better. Somehing like a PC or a media server or AppleTV or PS3 are the best solutions for using HD TVs or Beamers as modern "Slide projectors" (until the Canons have hdmi outputs)..

nubu
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #14
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nubu View Post
@In2Photos, I dont get your point: the RESOLUTION of jpgs and raws are exactly the same...

There is no extra expense for a hdmi connector with nowadays fabrication costs. hdmi is THE standard now and (as I said already available in the new Nikons). I love Canon as you see in my gear list but I saw the perfect implementation of hdmi output in the studio of my friend (Nikon) during a fashion shoot. A hdmi live view is very nice and much better than the usb live view available for the 40D that I regularely use.

Concerning the use of burned DVDs (@Wilt): sorry the resloution is then again normally a low one, only the conection to the TV is better. Somehing like a PC or a media server or AppleTV or PS3 are the best solutions for using HD TVs or Beamers as modern "Slide projectors" (until the Canons have hdmi outputs)..

nubu
Your camera does not contain a RAW processor for images. So how would you be able to display RAW images from the camera? You can't! The embedded JPEG is used for both the camera preview as well as the TV out. I don't recall the exact resolution for the embedded JPEG but it is somewhere in the neighborhood of 640x480. So again, why would you need a high resolution output format for viewing with so many using RAW?As to the expense, while the connector may not be costly ask Canon how much difference in price there is for their current RCA cable and an HDMI cable. Their costs would soar in cables alone since they privide the cable for viewing. Now if they didn't provide the cable thene there may be no increase on cost for them, but how many complaints would they receive?

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th of May 2008 (Mon)   #15
Rafromak

I agree with others that the best connection at the present is HDMI, and Canon will eventually switch to it. But CD's and DVD's work well. I just burn a DVD of the images I want to watch on TV, something that's very simple to do with a Mac, and nearly as simple (DVD's) with a PC. Also, you can do the same with the Apple TV device mentioned above, wirelessly or not. I believe that there are non-Apple products such as this, too.

Last edited by Rafromak : 26th of May 2008 (Mon) at 16:04.
Rafromak is offline   Reply With Quote