Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #1
CMax

Question a Strange request...

hi everyone, I do a lot of event photos in my city and took a picture of someone who committed suicide a few days after I took the picture(not my fault). I get an email from someone who wants to do a memorial tribute to him in a magazine and wants to use the photo. Should I price the photo as I do the rest?
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #2
CanadianKitKat

Default Re: a Strange request...

I personally think I'd just donate it - the family has enough to deal with right now and could use some kindness I'm sure.
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #3
bwolford
Goldmember

I would print an 8X10 for them, maybe a 16X20.

Gear List
Sample Gallery
bwolford is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #4
LBaldwin
Goldmember

Yes, Unless it was a friend of yours you should charge. I was going to say comp it, but I got to thinking that the tribute may not be what you think it is. If it was a non-profit org or other situation where they are not making a profit from the sale of mag then I'd say comp it. If they charge, you should too. There will be those that buy the mag just to read the story - bottom line get paid.

Yes I understand that it seems unfeeling, and you might lower your rates for this shot. But in order for the editor to understand that you are a pro you need to charge. Also what happens if this becomes the last image taken. If for some reason a TV story is done you want to maintain copyright - so get it registered ASAP.

Limit usage to OTNASR, charge for it, register it. Don't waive your professional business practices for what could be a (unfortunate) moneymaker.
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #5
superdiver
Cream of the Crop

I would charge the usual and customary fee if you were shooting the scene for work.

But if I was just shooting for fun I would donate it to them.

I think as long as you dont overcharge them you can do whatever and be "ok".
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #6
BaliHai

I would give it to the family, same thing happened here young girl killed in traffic accident and we have her image with her mother at a wedding we photographed. No second thoughts here that image goes to the family free of charge.
BaliHai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #7
Bill Roberts
revolting peasant

In life there are times to be a hard hearted businessman and equally times to show a bit of compassion. At worst you get cheated out of the cost of one image... big deal.

You must make your own decision on this one but I know what I'd do...
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #8
CMax

thanks for the advice, its a free magazine by the way. I was going to donate it and tell them i wanted my name alll over it for free advertisement. Or do a few dollars to pay for my gas this weekend and free advertisement.
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #9
Jeff

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMax View Post
thanks for the advice, its a free magazine by the way. I was going to donate it and tell them i wanted my name alll over it for free advertisement. Or do a few dollars to pay for my gas this weekend and free advertisement.

I agree with you're thought. I'd just have a one liner though below it "photo courtesy of ... " or "photo donated by ... " and not plaster it everywhere (you probably didn't mean it that way). You wouldn't want to look like you're gouging especially when you're donating.

I would also make sure (in writing) the "one-time use" status of the photo and any other usage needs to be discussed again.

Interesting situation though.
MY AIRPLANE PICS | MY ASTRO PICS
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #10
Black Dots

I think jseivert nailed it.
Black Dots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #11
short5
Woolbacca Manties are cool

Oh crap get over the greed and send them the photo. How much do you charge for a photo? Is it going to make or break you? If not I am surprised you took the time to even think about it. Put it somewhere for them to down load, email it to them and if you can afford the $5 have a print sent to them.

~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~
short5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th of May 2008 (Tue)   #12
SBCmetroguy

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said, but for the record I think suicide is one of the most horrible things that can happen to a person. How bad things must have gotten for that person to do that to himself/herself. Never in a million years would I even think about compensation in any form, not even from a magazine or other advertising/news source. I would do what my heart compelled me to do, and that would be to just donate the image and move on.
SBCmetroguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2008 (Wed)   #13
CMax

yeah, im just going to donate it for a one time use and move on, have nothing more to do with it.