a Strange request...

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography
Thread started 27 May 2008 (Tuesday) 07:37   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

CMax
Joined Mar 2008
107 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

hi everyone, I do a lot of event photos in my city and took a picture of someone who committed suicide a few days after I took the picture(not my fault). I get an email from someone who wants to do a memorial tribute to him in a magazine and wants to use the photo. Should I price the photo as I do the rest?

Post #1, May 27, 2008 07:37:26

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
CanadianKitKat
Joined Mar 2008
920 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I personally think I'd just donate it - the family has enough to deal with right now and could use some kindness I'm sure.

Post #2, May 27, 2008 08:05:04

www.ktklassen.comexternal link

bwolford
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
3,705 posts
Tampa, Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I would print an 8X10 for them, maybe a 16X20.

Post #3, May 27, 2008 09:07:19 as a reply to CanadianKitKat's post 1 hour earlier.

Brice
Gear List
Sample Galleryexternal linkhttp://thewolfords.com​/2007XmasProofsexternal link

LBaldwin
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
4,490 posts
San Jose,CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, Unless it was a friend of yours you should charge. I was going to say comp it, but I got to thinking that the tribute may not be what you think it is. If it was a non-profit org or other situation where they are not making a profit from the sale of mag then I'd say comp it. If they charge, you should too. There will be those that buy the mag just to read the story - bottom line get paid.

Yes I understand that it seems unfeeling, and you might lower your rates for this shot. But in order for the editor to understand that you are a pro you need to charge. Also what happens if this becomes the last image taken. If for some reason a TV story is done you want to maintain copyright - so get it registered ASAP.

Limit usage to OTNASR, charge for it, register it. Don't waive your professional business practices for what could be a (unfortunate) moneymaker.

Post #4, May 27, 2008 11:34:42

Les Baldwin
http://www.fotosfx.comexternal link

superdiver
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2006
9,834 posts
Ketchikan Alaska
[MORE/SHARE]

I would charge the usual and customary fee if you were shooting the scene for work.

But if I was just shooting for fun I would donate it to them.

I think as long as you dont overcharge them you can do whatever and be "ok".

Post #5, May 27, 2008 11:38:33

40D, davidalbertsonphotography.com
Newbie still learning

sponsored links
BaliHai
Joined Jul 2006
209 posts
PA
[MORE/SHARE]

I would give it to the family, same thing happened here young girl killed in traffic accident and we have her image with her mother at a wedding we photographed. No second thoughts here that image goes to the family free of charge.

Post #6, May 27, 2008 13:09:43

Canon 5D and 20D, 70-200mm f2.8L, 24-70mm f2.8L,
35-80mm, 70-210mm, 18-55mm, 85mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2L
lightmeter, tripod, studio lights

Bill ­ Roberts
revolting peasant
Joined Apr 2006
3,079 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

In life there are times to be a hard hearted businessman and equally times to show a bit of compassion. At worst you get cheated out of the cost of one image... big deal.

You must make your own decision on this one but I know what I'd do...

Post #7, May 27, 2008 13:30:36

BiLL

CMax
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
107 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks for the advice, its a free magazine by the way. I was going to donate it and tell them i wanted my name alll over it for free advertisement. Or do a few dollars to pay for my gas this weekend and free advertisement.

Post #8, May 27, 2008 14:28:30

Jeff
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2007
1,448 posts
42° 34' N 87° 55' W Kenosha, WI
[MORE/SHARE]

CMax wrote in post #5606156external link
thanks for the advice, its a free magazine by the way. I was going to donate it and tell them i wanted my name alll over it for free advertisement. Or do a few dollars to pay for my gas this weekend and free advertisement.

I agree with you're thought. I'd just have a one liner though below it "photo courtesy of ... " or "photo donated by ... " and not plaster it everywhere (you probably didn't mean it that way). You wouldn't want to look like you're gouging especially when you're donating.

I would also make sure (in writing) the "one-time use" status of the photo and any other usage needs to be discussed again.

Interesting situation though.

Post #9, May 27, 2008 18:45:37

Jeff
70D | Tokina 12-24 | Canon 50mm f/1.4 | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | Canon 28-135 IS| 430EX
Astrophotograpy: Meade 10" SCT, AT8IN, Orion EON 110mm APO, Coronado PST, Atlas EQ-G to keep it all off the ground.
MY AIRPLANE PICSexternal link | MY ASTRO PICSexternal link

Black ­ Dots
Joined Oct 2007
58 posts
Wilmington, DE
[MORE/SHARE]

I think jseivert nailed it.

Post #10, May 27, 2008 18:58:05

Rebel XTi | Tokina 12-24 | Tamron 17-50 | Canon 580EX II | Slik Sprint Pro

flickrexternal link

short5
Woolbacca Manties are cool
Joined Sep 2005
43,154 posts
Where old stink bugs go to die
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh crap get over the greed and send them the photo. How much do you charge for a photo? Is it going to make or break you? If not I am surprised you took the time to even think about it. Put it somewhere for them to down load, email it to them and if you can afford the $5 have a print sent to them.

Post #11, May 27, 2008 19:09:45

Do whats right HERE
~Take then of the bones of Adam and of the Calx, the same weight of each; and there are six of the Petral Stone and five of the Stone of Union~

sponsored links
SBCmetroguy
Joined Jul 2006
809 posts
Shreveport, LA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nothing I can say that hasn't been said, but for the record I think suicide is one of the most horrible things that can happen to a person. How bad things must have gotten for that person to do that to himself/herself. Never in a million years would I even think about compensation in any form, not even from a magazine or other advertising/news source. I would do what my heart compelled me to do, and that would be to just donate the image and move on.

Post #12, May 27, 2008 22:38:08

CMax
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2008
107 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

yeah, im just going to donate it for a one time use and move on, have nothing more to do with it.

Post #13, May 27, 2008 23:35:17

LIST NEARBY THREADS
669 views & 0 likes for this thread
a Strange request...
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos The Business of Photography

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES