FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 01 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 01:38   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

jayg123
Joined Jun 2008
27 posts
Toronto - Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I just got an XSI and the salesperson said I would be much better off with the new panasonic class 6 memory but of course it is 3x the price of the class 4 memory. Is there any type of noticeable difference?

thanks

Post #1, Jun 01, 2008 01:38:31

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
Joined Oct 2006
30,454 posts
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Presumably there is a speed difference here. In which case I'd go for the cheaper option, especially at 3x the price.
Of course there are other brands, Sandisk and alike, that make excellent cards that are great value too. Ignore the salesperson and shop somewhere else for a lot cheaper. Sandisk will probably be the most recommended here on POTN.
Just did a quick Google for sandisk ultra II cards and found a 1GB for $7, I'm sure there are cheaper.

Post #2, Jun 01, 2008 01:43:44

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

jayg123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
27 posts
Toronto - Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I actually ended up getting 3 x hp 8 gig class 4 cards (for $50 each) but was wondering if I did the right thing and/or if I should consider getting the faster more expensive card.

I am shooting RAW plus JPEG right now so 4 gig is the minimum I need.

Post #3, Jun 01, 2008 01:58:43

Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009
Joined Oct 2006
30,454 posts
Royal Tunbridge Wells, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable. But then I am thinking of the Sandisk range, not sure how fast the Panasonics are. I think you did the right thing. Get shooting and sharing pictures :D

Post #4, Jun 01, 2008 02:00:03

Anke
1D Mark IV | 16-35L f/2.8 II | 24-70L f/2.8 II | 70-200L f/2.8 II | 50 f/1.4 | 600EX-RT and ST-E3-RT
Join the Official POTN UK South-East Thread | Follow me on Twitterexternal link | Tunbridge Wellsexternal link | Flickrexternal link

prime80
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
2,303 posts
Celebration, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Newegg.com sells that same HP 8GB card for $36 shipped. There are also cheaper Class 6 cards for $34 shipped each. You could save a bit of money if you can still return those.

Click Hereexternal link

Post #5, Jun 01, 2008 03:32:58

John
7D, 17-55 IS, Sigma 100-300 f4 EX DG, 580EX II, EOS M
Full Gear List

sponsored links
jayg123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
27 posts
Toronto - Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

Wow cheap cards. Not sure how much shipping to Canada is but had the 3 hp cards 'thrown into' the deal at futureshop so no returning them.

Post #6, Jun 01, 2008 08:31:41

basroil
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2006
8,015 posts
STL/Clayton, MO| NJ
[MORE/SHARE]

i'de say go with el-cheapo 2gb ultra ii 2008 edition (looks different, has 15mb/s speed instead of 10mb/s) or 8gb sdhc extreme iii for 79.99 BEFORE the rebate or 40 bucks (yes, 40 bucks for 8gb from a reputable company is good). don't go for random companies that have high capacity cards for cheap, they are slow and won't have the same warranty as a decent brand. also, extreme III and the top line lexars both include a recovery disk should the card ever become corrupted and you loose the data

Post #7, Jun 01, 2008 08:45:19

I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List

sth_
Joined Mar 2008
811 posts
Europe
[MORE/SHARE]

Anke wrote in post #5634780external link
I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable.

Actually it can!external link
Remember that the XSIs RAW files are ~15-20mb each so write speed can make a difference but mainly for continous shooting beyond the camera's internal buffer space (more than 6 RAW images in a row).

However, the "Class X" rating of SD cards doesn't say anything about the maximum speed of the card. Sandisk Ultra II are "Class 4" spec and can deliver about twice the speed.

When shooting JPEG with the XSI, card speed is nothing to worry about except maybe for file transfer.

Post #8, Jun 01, 2008 08:55:46

Flickrexternal link :: Gear

Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Joined Jun 2004
68,210 posts
Bethesda, MD USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I was just getting ready to post the Rob Galbraith XSi testexternal link but sth_ beat me to it.

Post #9, Jun 01, 2008 09:18:55

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

jayg123
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jun 2008
27 posts
Toronto - Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

However, the "Class X" rating of SD cards doesn't say anything about the maximum speed of the card

From http://www.dpreview.co​m ...0806panasonic32gbsd​hc.aspexternal link

The 20MB/sec maximum data transfer speed would see this card considered as 133X in conventional SD terms. The 6MB/sec minimum sustained write speed implied by its 'class 6' designation is probably more significant.

It seems class 4 are max 10MB/sec maximum data transfer speed. I would like to see some sort of trial run comparision to see what the difference is.

Post #10, Jun 01, 2008 09:52:23

vgk1nka1dx
Joined Apr 2008
164 posts
Harrison Township, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

prime80 wrote in post #5634980external link
Newegg.com sells that same HP 8GB card for $36 shipped. There are also cheaper Class 6 cards for $34 shipped each. You could save a bit of money if you can still return those.

Click Hereexternal link

I agree. Newegg.com will give you a great price on SDHC cards, I use them alot for flash cards.

Anke wrote in post #5634780external link
I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable. But then I am thinking of the Sandisk range, not sure how fast the Panasonics are. I think you did the right thing. Get shooting and sharing pictures :D

It says right on the canon website that it takes the SDHC card. I don't think it will matter what speed it is considering that it takes the format that the speeds are based off of. The speeds are just that, speeds. The format is still SDHC. The higher the class the better. Class 6 will give you about 16-20mbps. Maybe not noticeable during shooting single shots, but during multiple shots and transfering the images to your HDD through a card reader you'll notice it.

Post #11, Jun 01, 2008 14:23:40 as a reply to jayg123's post 4 hours earlier.

Remember life's tragedies. Learn from life's mistakes. Contribute to life's accomplishments.

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,228 views & 0 likes for this thread
Class 4 or Class 6 Memory for the XSI
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES