Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #1
jayg123

Default Class 4 or Class 6 Memory for the XSI

I just got an XSI and the salesperson said I would be much better off with the new panasonic class 6 memory but of course it is 3x the price of the class 4 memory. Is there any type of noticeable difference?

thanks
jayg123 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #2
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

Default Re: Class 4 or Class 6 Memory for the XSI

Presumably there is a speed difference here. In which case I'd go for the cheaper option, especially at 3x the price.
Of course there are other brands, Sandisk and alike, that make excellent cards that are great value too. Ignore the salesperson and shop somewhere else for a lot cheaper. Sandisk will probably be the most recommended here on POTN.
Just did a quick Google for sandisk ultra II cards and found a 1GB for $7, I'm sure there are cheaper.
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #3
jayg123

I actually ended up getting 3 x hp 8 gig class 4 cards (for $50 each) but was wondering if I did the right thing and/or if I should consider getting the faster more expensive card.

I am shooting RAW plus JPEG right now so 4 gig is the minimum I need.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #4
Anke
"that rump shot is just adorable"
UK SE Photographer of the Year 2009

I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable. But then I am thinking of the Sandisk range, not sure how fast the Panasonics are. I think you did the right thing. Get shooting and sharing pictures
Anke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #5
prime80
Goldmember

Newegg.com sells that same HP 8GB card for $36 shipped. There are also cheaper Class 6 cards for $34 shipped each. You could save a bit of money if you can still return those.

Click Here
prime80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #6
jayg123

Wow cheap cards. Not sure how much shipping to Canada is but had the 3 hp cards 'thrown into' the deal at futureshop so no returning them.
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #7
basroil
Cream of the Crop

i'de say go with el-cheapo 2gb ultra ii 2008 edition (looks different, has 15mb/s speed instead of 10mb/s) or 8gb sdhc extreme iii for 79.99 BEFORE the rebate or 40 bucks (yes, 40 bucks for 8gb from a reputable company is good). don't go for random companies that have high capacity cards for cheap, they are slow and won't have the same warranty as a decent brand. also, extreme III and the top line lexars both include a recovery disk should the card ever become corrupted and you loose the data
I don't hate macs or OSX, I hate people and statements that portray them as better than anything else. Macs are A solution, not THE solution. Get a good desktop i7 with Windows 7 and come tell me that sucks for photo or video editing.
Gear List
basroil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #8
sth_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke View Post
I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable.
Actually it can!
Remember that the XSIs RAW files are ~15-20mb each so write speed can make a difference but mainly for continous shooting beyond the camera's internal buffer space (more than 6 RAW images in a row).

However, the "Class X" rating of SD cards doesn't say anything about the maximum speed of the card. Sandisk Ultra II are "Class 4" spec and can deliver about twice the speed.

When shooting JPEG with the XSI, card speed is nothing to worry about except maybe for file transfer.
sth_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #9
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

I was just getting ready to post the Rob Galbraith XSi test but sth_ beat me to it.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #10
jayg123

Quote:
However, the "Class X" rating of SD cards doesn't say anything about the maximum speed of the card
From http://www.dpreview.com/news/0801/08...ic32gbsdhc.asp

Quote:
The 20MB/sec maximum data transfer speed would see this card considered as 133X in conventional SD terms. The 6MB/sec minimum sustained write speed implied by its 'class 6' designation is probably more significant.
It seems class 4 are max 10MB/sec maximum data transfer speed. I would like to see some sort of trial run comparision to see what the difference is.
Old 1st of June 2008 (Sun)   #11
vgk1nka1dx

Quote:
Originally Posted by prime80 View Post
Newegg.com sells that same HP 8GB card for $36 shipped. There are also cheaper Class 6 cards for $34 shipped each. You could save a bit of money if you can still return those.

Click Here
I agree. Newegg.com will give you a great price on SDHC cards, I use them alot for flash cards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anke View Post
I don't think the XSi will be capable of using the higher speed cards, at least it won't be noticable. But then I am thinking of the Sandisk range, not sure how fast the Panasonics are. I think you did the right thing. Get shooting and sharing pictures
It says right on the canon website that it takes the SDHC card. I don't think it will matter what speed it is considering that it takes the format that the speeds are based off of. The speeds are just that, speeds. The format is still SDHC. The higher the class the better. Class 6 will give you about 16-20mbps. Maybe not noticeable during shooting single shots, but during multiple shots and transfering the images to your HDD through a card reader you'll notice it.

Last edited by vgk1nka1dx : 1st of June 2008 (Sun) at 14:26.
vgk1nka1dx is offline   Reply With Quote