Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports
Thread started 22 Dec 2004 (Wednesday) 07:39
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Found two more swimming photos...

timmyquest
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 22, 2004 07:39 |  #1
banned

...that i liked

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Capturing life a fraction of a second at a time

sponsored links
eric1
729 posts
Joined May 2003
St. Louis, Mo.
Dec 22, 2004 12:41 |  #2

abit noisey Tim. swimming indoors is a lighting nightmare. i do like the shots though. maybe you could do some noise reduction. these shots would make a good test for something like neat image or noise ninja.

Eric
www.pbase.com/ericm

OneManArmy
212 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Dec 22, 2004 12:42 |  #3
banned

Don't really care for them much... don't know why, just nothing special, can't see much, and some noise.

(2) MkII's, 24-70L, 70-200L, 300 2.8, 400 2.8, Oops! I fell asleep at work again! :o

timmyquest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 22, 2004 13:53 as a reply to OneManArmy's post |  #4
banned

The more i get into the paper the less i worry about noise.

I walked in there today and i got praise from the staff for my swimming photos. They all loved how sharp they are.

These are a bit noisey though for sure. ISO 1600 i think...eventually i gave in and threw a flash on the camera.

I'll play with Neat image just to apease ya guys though

http://www.pbase.com/t​immyquest/whs_swimmingexternal link

thats all of em incase you missed the few that i posted a while back.

drisley
"What a Tool I am"
8,860 posts
Joined Nov 2002
Dec 22, 2004 14:08 |  #5

TQ, I'm with you. The noise really isn't that bad, and won't really be noticable in print.
I kind of like a little noise in sports shots. Just like the old days. I think we are all too spoiled when it comes to noise now that we have these fancy new DSLR's.

1D Mark III - 5D Mark IV - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L Mark II - Samyang 14/2.8

gmen
Goldmember
4,345 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Essex
Dec 22, 2004 15:34 |  #6

Yep... noise is noise... which is perfectly acceptable in newsprint. The shots do look like they have been cropped a little too much to me.. but again, that'll work just fine in a paper.

More worrying is the spelling of the word 'anual'.. oops... annual please!

TGSPhoto Editorial Sports Photographyexternal link | TGS Blogexternal link | TGS Twitterexternal link | TGS Sportsshooterexternal link | TGS Tweetsexternal link | TGS Facebookexternal link | LinkedInexternal link

Mills
Goldmember
4,105 posts
Joined Jul 2003
Chicago, Illinois
Dec 22, 2004 16:45 as a reply to gmen's post |  #7

I like the "bubble" effect of the water over the swimmers head.

Mills
1D Mark II & 5D
50 f1.4 16-35 f2.8L 24-70 f2.8L 70-200 f2.8L IS 580 EX & 550 EX Gitzo Mono & Tri Pods Apple iMac G5 & 17 Inch Powerbook

Box Alarm Imagesexternal link
http://www.myspace.com​/millz11external link Just to see some fun camera phone stuff.:p

JX
508 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
Dec 22, 2004 21:27 as a reply to Mills's post |  #8

TQ, no offense, but they are average. I am swim coach and was also on a swim team for 12 years. Your football photos are very good because you know the sport. My suggestion would be to go to your local library and check out some videos on competitive swimming stokes. Invest an hour or two watching the videos, take some notes, and then go shoot another swim meet. I will bet that you will see a big difference next time you shoot a swim meet.

JX

timmyquest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 22, 2004 21:31 as a reply to JX's post |  #9
banned

JX wrote:
TQ, no offense, but they are average. I am swim coach and was also on a swim team for 12 years. Your football photos are very good because you know the sport. My suggestion would be to go to your local library and check out some videos on competitive swimming stokes. Invest an hour or two watching the videos, take some notes, and then go shoot another swim meet. I will bet that you will see a big difference next time you shoot a swim meet.

Considering i'd never done it before...i'd agree with you. It was the first time i'd ever done it.

And, although i'm not saying my other shots are best, i hope your not basing this reply on the two images i've posted.

Oh, and i'm redoing the sig tonight, i'll make sure and speel et ull rite

JX
508 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
Dec 22, 2004 21:46 as a reply to timmyquest's post |  #10

Timmy,

I have read a lot of your post, and seen a lot of your work. Your work is very good.

JX

timmyquest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 22, 2004 21:59 as a reply to JX's post |  #11
banned

JX wrote:
Timmy,

I have read a lot of your post, and seen a lot of your work. Your work is very good.

Well, thanks a ton if you really mean it (not saying your being sarcastic, just dont want you to think i cant take a good 'ol critique). I was just hoping you saw all of my swimming photos. :cool:

maderito
Goldmember
1,336 posts
Joined Oct 2003
Southern New England
Dec 22, 2004 22:02 as a reply to timmyquest's post |  #12

Timmy,

We're not viewing your the newspaper version of your photos. I frankly find the "noise" quite objectionable. What you are calling noise I think is a combination of noise, low resolution (pixelation), blur and possibly poor focus.

Are these crops? Are we looking a low resolution, noisy images?

Have you sharpened them - that is, are we looking at sharpened noise? High ISO noise usually looks OK at the image sizes you're posting.

Why is the white balance so far off? That has nothing to do with noise, unless you are picking up noise instead of real image data when using an eye-droppers to correct white balance.

I can't identify a plane of focus on the images - so there must be motion blur or camera shake. Most pools have very suboptimal lighting. Are we looking at images with slow shutter speeds? Was your AF thrown off by the water spray?

And finally - what's wrong with a bit of Neat Image or Noise Ninja (not overdone) for your web posts.

I think I know you well enough to offer these comments with the belief that you'll accept them constructively.

Woody Lee
http://pbase.com/mader​itoexternal link
http://maderito.fotki.​comexternal link

JX
508 posts
Joined Aug 2004
Cleveland, Ohio
Dec 22, 2004 22:23 as a reply to timmyquest's post |  #13

Yes, Timmy, I took a look at your new site. You have some excellent photographs posted. One that I can remember is the Basketball photo "theft".

Just try my suggestion go to your local library and check out some videos on competitive swimming stokes. If you know the mechanics of the strokes you will be able to anticipate the head and body position of the swimmer.

In one of your posts from the other day, you pickup on the fact that a good freestyle swimmer will alternate which side he takes a breath. That was a very good observation. The more insight you have the better your pictures will be.

JX

timmyquest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 22, 2004 23:52 as a reply to JX's post |  #14
banned

JX wrote:
Just try my suggestion go to your local library and check out some videos on competitive swimming stokes. If you know the mechanics of the strokes you will be able to anticipate the head and body position of the swimmer.

Well thanks for the advice. It's a good idea, may be a decent idea come track season too.

timmyquest
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,172 posts
Joined Dec 2003
Outside of Chicago
Dec 23, 2004 00:00 as a reply to maderito's post |  #15
banned

maderito wrote:
I think I know you well enough to offer these comments with the belief that you'll accept them constructively.

Part of the reason i hadnt posted them initially is becuase they were under-exposed, high ISO images. But after looking at them again, i decided that i liked the content. I try not to be a "pixel peeper". Thats not to say i cant apreciate.

As for for the noise reduction software. I dont use it because noise doenst bug me anymore. It takes time out of my life for something that really doesnt matter to me. And typically, it takes away from the image. In this instance you lose much of the distracting noise, but i also feel it makes the images look too digital. But as promised, here they are

sponsored links

5,373 views & 0 likes for this thread
Found two more swimming photos...
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Sports

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.