FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 06 Jun 2008 (Friday) 15:28   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

DavidPhoto
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyone know anything about these Konova products being sold on eBay? They are reasonably priced but I'm wondering about the quality. Anyone have first hand experience with them?

Post #1, Jun 06, 2008 15:28:12

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Nobody has them?
Anyone have any thoughts on them? Think they are worth trying/gambling on given the price?

Post #2, Jun 07, 2008 11:19:00

Hermes
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2006
2,375 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I bought a couple a month ago to try out. Construction materials and quality are fine. Haven't tested them properly but from what I saw when I tried them out the light quality & coverage are also good.

Post #3, Jun 07, 2008 11:30:02

DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

thanks Hremes. I'm thinking of trying one of their strip boxes.

Post #4, Jun 07, 2008 12:15:19

TeeJay
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2005
3,834 posts
Warwickshire - UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Maybe a link would be useful?

TJ

Post #5, Jun 07, 2008 12:45:19

1DsMkIII | 1DMkIIN | 70-200 f/2.8L IS | 24-70 f/2.8L | 24-105 f/4L IS | 17-40 f/4L | 50 f/1.2L | WFT-E1 & E2 Transmitters - Click Here for setup advice | CP-E4 Battery Pack x 2 | ST-E2 | 580EX | 550EX | 430EXII | 420EX | Tripod + monopod | Bowens Esprit Gemini 500W/s heads & Travel-Pak | All this gear - and still no idea :confused:

sponsored links
DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Search ofr Elinchrom adn softbox and they will come up or hereexternal linkis one.

Post #6, Jun 07, 2008 13:11:21

tetrode
I am a walking repository of thoroughly useless information
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidPhoto wrote in post #5678910external link
Search ofr Elinchrom adn softbox and they will come up or hereexternal linkis one.

Konova softboxes were discussed in a thread a few months ago. At that time, no one had one and, consequently, no opinions could be offered regarding quality. However, don't you think Konova's shipping charges are a bit steep (yes, I know, they ship from Korea)? Kind of kills the bargain aspect.

Have you considered the Amvona strip light:

http://www.amvona.com ...ge&view=1&product_i​d=2718external link

I have a 36" x 48" Amvona softbox and the build quality is fine.

Dave F.

Post #7, Jun 07, 2008 15:19:47

DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I read that thread but posted here in case someone did get one since that time and it seems Hermes did.
The Konova, even with the high shipping charges, is still a pretty decent bargain given that it comes with the Elin speedring and a grid. Their auctions include the "Make an offer" option too so the real price is slightly less than the listed BIN price.
I'd really like the Chimera but they are very expensive so I thought I might gamble and try the Konova. Based on Hermes initial impressions I may just do that.

Post #8, Jun 07, 2008 16:23:08

tetrode
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidPhoto wrote in post #5679584external link
I'd really like the Chimera but they are very expensive so I thought I might gamble and try the Konova. Based on Hermes initial impressions I may just do that.

If you do get one, please be sure to post a review. Many of us would be very interested.

Dave F.

Post #9, Jun 07, 2008 16:50:06

DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I will do that.

Post #10, Jun 07, 2008 18:47:01

DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

After communicating with the Konova guy, I managed to get a decent price and decided to take the chance and ordered a Konova strip box. It took forever but arrived today finally.

First off, it was not in a box! It was shipped from Korea in only a plastic wrapping. The bag arrived with a small tear in it. I'm surprised there was not more damage given how many hands it must have passed through.

Second, the wrong speedring was included. I am not sure what it is for but it most certainly will not fit an Elinchrom as promised. Bummer!

The box itself actually looks like it is made pretty well. The material seems to be of high quality, in fact it feels much thicker and sturdier than the Elinchrom boxes I have. Unfortunately I can not test it out :(
I sent a complaint to Konova. We'll see if they do anything. I'm going to try to get a refund but I won't be holding my breath waiting for anything from them.

So it goes...

Post #11, Jun 26, 2008 12:51:40

sponsored links
tetrode
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

DavidPhoto wrote in post #5797055external link
After communicating with the Konova guy, I managed to get a decent price and decided to take the chance and ordered a Konova strip box. It took forever but arrived today finally.

First off, it was not in a box! It was shipped from Korea in only a plastic wrapping. The bag arrived with a small tear in it. I'm surprised there was not more damage given how many hands it must have passed through.

Second, the wrong speedring was included. I am not sure what it is for but it most certainly will not fit an Elinchrom as promised. Bummer!

The box itself actually looks like it is made pretty well. The material seems to be of high quality, in fact it feels much thicker and sturdier than the Elinchrom boxes I have. Unfortunately I can not test it out :(
I sent a complaint to Konova. We'll see if they do anything. I'm going to try to get a refund but I won't be holding my breath waiting for anything from them.

So it goes...

How disappointing, David. Apart from the speedring issue, I'm amazed any shipper would accept a package wrapped only in plastic.

Since the build quality appears good, I certainly hope you're able to resolve the problem with the mount.

Please continue to keep us informed.

Dave F.

Post #12, Jun 26, 2008 13:01:46

darktiger
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2005
1,943 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

tetrode wrote in post #5679332external link
Konova softboxes were discussed in a thread a few months ago. At that time, no one had one and, consequently, no opinions could be offered regarding quality. However, don't you think Konova's shipping charges are a bit steep (yes, I know, they ship from Korea)? Kind of kills the bargain aspect.

Have you considered the Amvona strip light:

http://www.amvona.com ...ge&view=1&product_i​d=2718external link

I have a 36" x 48" Amvona softbox and the build quality is fine.

Dave F.

Do you know if amvona's softboxes will work with AB800?

Post #13, Jun 26, 2008 14:30:46

My Flickrexternal link
My Gear
My Zenfolioexternal link

tetrode
Joined Jan 2006
3,769 posts
New York
[MORE/SHARE]

darktiger wrote in post #5797640external link
Do you know if amvona's softboxes will work with AB800?

The Amvona softboxes come with a Bowens compatible speedring. It's easy to remove the Bowens mount and replace it with something else. In my case, I needed an Elinchrom mount so I bought a $19 Norman Elinchrom ring from B&H and popped that into the Amvona ring in place of the Bowens mount. Of course, you're looking for Alien Bee compatibility. I believe AB and Balcar share the same mount (correct me If I'm wrong Alien Bee people). If that's the case, this is all you'd need:

http://www.bhphotovide​o.com ...eed_Ring_Adapter_fo​r.htmlexternal link

The B&H info says this ring is for use with both Balcar and White Lightning strobes. If AB and White Lightning share the same mount, you're in business.

Dave F.

Post #14, Jun 26, 2008 14:54:06

DavidPhoto
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Mar 2007
774 posts
MA, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

UPDATE: They said they are going to send a new inner ring for Elinchrom and a new bag. Hopefully it is being shipped by a faster means (EMS???) than last time. I'll update the thread if I get the new ring.

Post #15, Jun 26, 2008 20:20:18

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,639 views & 0 likes for this thread
Konova (eBay) strip boxes?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES