Firing A Shoe Mount Flash In To A Standard Speed Ring: Solutions?

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 10 Jun 2008 (Tuesday) 18:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TMR ­ Design
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, after looking at just about every item available for light stands, flash mounts, umbrella brackets, arms, clamps, etc. I'm not finding a good solution or anything that inspires a DIY for what I want.

I already have a bracket and speed ring that lets me mount and fire a shoe mount Speedlight into a 24" x 32" softbox. This works great but is limiting. The speed ring is plastic and does not give the correct support for a 36" x 48" box and the ring will only accommodate a softbox but not an octabox.

I'd like to be able to take the heavy duty aluminum Photoflex speed ring I have with the 3/8" threaded mounting holes, attach a softbox/octabox and then mount it to a swivel bracket so the weight is carried by the aluminum speed ring, and then have the cold shoe set up on a bracket of some sort that I can adjust for the correct height and position of the flash in the speed ring.

Does anyone know of hardware or a clever way to do this so I can fire a shoe mount Speedlight in to any shape or size modifier?

Post #1, Jun 10, 2008 18:31:45

Please call me Robert or Rob, not TMR
Gear List & Feedback | The Lighting Academyexternal link
"Art is the elimination of the unnecessary." - Pablo Picasso

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

30 views, no comments or suggestions. Me thinks this is going to turn in to a DIY.

Post #2, Jun 10, 2008 20:52:48

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
Joined Apr 2005
19,130 posts
Northern Illinois, US
[MORE/SHARE]

I know Lotto has done this sort of thing and has posted some shots. Hopefully you can get some ideas from him.

Post #3, Jun 10, 2008 21:16:39

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks Curtis. I'll take a look around for those threads.

Post #4, Jun 10, 2008 21:20:48 as a reply to Curtis N's post 4 minutes earlier.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Found it.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=444190

Post #5, Jun 10, 2008 21:22:09 as a reply to TMR Design's post 1 minute earlier.

sponsored links
TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I wish there were components to just do this easily without machining something. Hmm. Back to the B&H site.

Post #6, Jun 10, 2008 21:50:14 as a reply to TMR Design's post 28 minutes earlier.

wilvoeka
Joined Jan 2007
573 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Westcott sells one, but its $249.00.

Heres the link.

http://www.fjwestcott.​com ...cfm?id=30&tbl=acces​soriesexternal link

Post #7, Jun 10, 2008 23:30:11

troymm
Joined Jul 2007
268 posts
Orange County, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

did you see this thread. I posted a pic of what I use on #7

http://photography-on-the.net ...php?p=5328784#post5​328784

Post #8, Jun 11, 2008 01:46:21

1D MKIII, 5D MKII, 40D, 24-70L, 35L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS, 135L, 85 1.8

Lotto
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2005
2,454 posts
Southern California
[MORE/SHARE]

Come on now, Robert. I know you can bend a simple L bracket :) For the 36x48 SB, I think the speedlight has to be mounted side way when the box is in vertical position. Even then, it hard to diffuse the hot spot at the center.

Post #9, Jun 11, 2008 02:44:20

5D, 24-70L, 70-200L IS, 50 f1.4, 100 Macro, 580 & 430EX

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I've seen the Westcott bracket and there's no way I would buy that. I also find that design to be a bit silly with the Pocket Wizard mounted directly behind the flash. In that configuration the controls and LCD display are partially blocked and it makes it awkward to see or adjust.

I can certainly bend a piece of metal and drill some holes. I was just hoping that I didn't have to do that and could find something that is full adjustable.

Post #10, Jun 11, 2008 05:57:36 as a reply to Lotto's post 3 hours earlier.

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Lotto wrote in post #5700471external link
it hard to diffuse the hot spot at the center.

Have you compared a white interior to a silver one? I'd be curious to see if the silver was slightly more even.

I've also been playing around with different materials (reflective and translucent) to use in the center of the box to more evenly distribute the light and eliminate the center hot spot.

Post #11, Jun 11, 2008 08:39:48

sponsored links
hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

would this help?

http://www.lastolite.c​om/ezybox-hotshoe-kits.phpexternal link

Post #12, Jun 11, 2008 11:15:51

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi Hawk,

It would be great if I was using Ezyboxes :D

The problem with many of those kits is that there is a plastic speedring and will accept 4 rods or a 4 sided modifier and not an 8 sided octabox. Also, all the components are light and made of light weight materials. If you try to add more weight using a larger modifier than they show or recommend then you're asking for trouble because they do not support the weight properly and are destined to fail or cause a problem.

This is what led me back around to using the heavier Photoflex aluminum ring with the threaded mounting holes. You can mount any size modifier to the speed ring and mount it to a light stand, boom, swivel mount, etc. and there's great stability.

Post #13, Jun 11, 2008 11:30:16 as a reply to hawk911's post 14 minutes earlier.

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

gotcha. so let us know when you are done on the fab wheel so we can buy your masterpiece.

Post #14, Jun 11, 2008 14:16:46

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

TMR ­ Design
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Feb 2006
23,881 posts
Huntington Station, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I was in DIY mode today and came up with something simple, functional and relatively easy to fabricate.

I have the aluminum cold shoe's coming tomorrow to replace the scrappy parts I used to prototype my bracket. Once I complete assembly and paint it I'll show some images.

I was going to make it to accommodate a flash with the head rotated vertically but I'll save that for another version if I find I need it.

My primary reason for wanting this bracket/adapter was to be able to use a Speedlight inside an octabox. I'm currently able to fire in to a 24" x 32" softbox and although I have not taken critical measurements I find the light to be fairly even. I know that in an octabox I won't get completely even light but that's ok. I'm willing to accept and work with that in order to have round catch lights when I work outside. To me, it doesn't make sense to be shooting outside during the day and have square catch lights. In the studio I'm fine with it.

Anyway, the bracket I made took a different approach than most. There is no need to attach any hardware to the actual speed ring. I'm taking advantage of the umbrella mounting hole.

What I did was simple. I'm using a 1/2" aluminum rod inserted in to the umbrella mounting hole, with a dimple placed so that when you tighten the thrumbscrew it locks the rod in place so it can't spin or rotate.

I flattened a portion of the rod and mounted a strip of aluminum to it with a cold shoe mounted for the flash, and a second cold shoe a few inches behind it for a Pocket Wizard. Initially I thought that having the PW behind it would block the controls and display but that's not the case. I can still see and operate the controls with no problem.

Once I have pictures this will all make sense but it's quite simple, strong, effective an much better than a single bracket that holds and suspends the flash, speed ring and modifier, and this is also much better than the flimsy flash bracket kits currently being sold.

My design includes the use of a Bogen 2905 umbrella swivel bracket. I haven't tested it with other brackets so the height and position may change. No guarantees of any kind other than with the Bogen bracket.

I'll have images tomorrow.

Post #15, Jun 11, 2008 17:33:39 as a reply to hawk911's post 3 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,242 views & 0 likes for this thread
Firing A Shoe Mount Flash In To A Standard Speed Ring: Solutions?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES