Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #1
sdipirro
Goldmember

Default Help an idiot make a 4x6 print from Lightroom

I'm sure I'm missing something really stupid here, but this is my story. For whatever reason, I've been processing my camera RAW files in Lightroom, creating JPEGs, and then printing the JPEGs on my Canon i9900 using the Canon-supplied software that came with the printer. I'm fairly new to Lightroom and recently decided to change my workflow a bit. I got the color space thing mostly figured out such that when I print from Lightroom directly, the colors pretty closely match what I see on the screen. I've been printing large 8.5x11 glossy prints. The other day, I wanted to make some 4x6 prints to send to someone in the mail. I have the Canon borderless pro 4x6 paper. I cropped the image using the 4x6 aspect ratio to make sure it would look right when printed. I used the 8.5x11 aspect ratio when I made the larger prints, and they came out just as I expected. I made sure to tell the printer in printer properties that I'm using 4x6 paper. What I get for a print is the 4x6 "corner" of a much larger picture. I'm confused why the 8.5x11 prints didn't do something similar, but for the time being, I'd settle with just knowing how to tell Lightroom to resize the image for a 4x6 print. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.
sdipirro is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #2
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Default Re: Help an idiot make a 4x6 print from Lightroom

See if my post (#4) in this thread will help you.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...ightroom+print

In2Photos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #3
CanadianKitKat

I've never used lightroom, but aspect ratios and sizes are two different things. Aspect ratios are only in relation to each other and could mean 4 apples to 6 apples, it is simply a ratio and does not mean you are telling it 4" by 6". a 4x6 ratio is basically the same as an 8x12 ratio or a 16x24 ratio. What you need to do is change the "image size". Like I said, I don't use lightroom so I can't tell you where to find it, but that's what you're looking for. Hope that helps!
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #4
Shooting

Best thing is to trash Lightroom and get Photoshop CS3...no more exporting..just make the size you want, SAVE AS and you are done.
Shooting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #5
Tony-S
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by In2Photos View Post
See if my post (#4) in this thread will help you.
Mike - Didn't you teach a Lightroom course this semester? How'd it go?
Tony-S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #6
Ryan W

No, don't ditch Lightroom it's pretty awesome ... and saves so much time

What you need to do is go into 'page setup' and change the paper size to 4x6. Then choose Maximum size in the Template browser ...

That should be it ... What you can then do is check the size by going into 'layout' and checking the 'image size' is 6x4 or thereabout

Don't forget that when you print the image to tell the printer your priting n 6x4 paper

That should be find

www.rtwphotography.wordpress.com
Ryan W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #7
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting View Post
Best thing is to trash Lightroom and get Photoshop CS3...no more exporting..just make the size you want, SAVE AS and you are done.
That is the dumbest thing I have ever read. This has nothing to do with exporting. And oh, BTW what do you think happens in CS3 when you take a RAW file, edit it in ACR, open it in PS, and click SAVE AS? Duh, you are exporting a JPEG!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony-S View Post
Mike - Didn't you teach a Lightroom course this semester? How'd it go?
Well, they haven't setup the course yet. I am still waiting to hear back about a schedule. They have added some new courses but nothing on Lightroom yet. Turns out that might not be a bad thing. Between moving and the new little one on the way my time has been rather limited lately.

Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #8
sdipirro
Goldmember

Thanks Mike and Ryan. I'll try this when I get home. Mike, your other note was very helpful. I wonder why I didn't find it when I was searching the other night. Oh well!
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #9
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdipirro View Post
Thanks Mike and Ryan. I'll try this when I get home. Mike, your other note was very helpful. I wonder why I didn't find it when I was searching the other night. Oh well!
No problem. I think there is a link in the LR sticky, but since I remember the post it only took me two searches to find it.

Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #10
sdipirro
Goldmember

And it's off-topic, but seeing as Mike is a Lightroom expert, I have another question. To create this portrait image that I was trying to print, I'm using a relatively new Lastolie Hilite background with white train attached for the floor. When I create a full-body portrait, the white of the train doesn't match the white of the illuminated background. Someone demonstrated how they used levels in CS to match the train color to the background and the history brush to restore the subject to the picture. I'm guessing there's no way to do this kind of manipulation in LR, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #11
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
And it's off-topic, but seeing as Mike is a Lightroom expert, I have another question. To create this portrait image that I was trying to print, I'm using a relatively new Lastolie Hilite background with white train attached for the floor. When I create a full-body portrait, the white of the train doesn't match the white of the illuminated background. Someone demonstrated how they used levels in CS to match the train color to the background and the history brush to restore the subject to the picture. I'm guessing there's no way to do this kind of manipulation in LR, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something. Thanks.
In CS was this a local edit, meaning a layer mask was used? If so only LR 2.0 BETA offers the ability to do this task. I am still playing with the new BETA version so I can't say for sure, but I think it would be possible.

Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #12
sdipirro
Goldmember

The description from user Borderfox only said:

The way lastolite suggest is to open in PS and select levels and choose the white point picker and select the dark area of the train and then use the history brush to paint back in the person. Its usually easy enough to select the person from the background and paint them back in quite quickly.
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #13
In2Photos
Archive Keeper

Quote:
The description from user Borderfox only said:

The way lastolite suggest is to open in PS and select levels and choose the white point picker and select the dark area of the train and then use the history brush to paint back in the person. Its usually easy enough to select the person from the background and paint them back in quite quickly.
So it is a localized edit, it just doesn't use a layer mask. So you "should" be able to do something similar in LR 2.0 BETA. Have you downloaded it yet to try it out? It is free for all LR licenses. Might be worth a play. If you need help let us know.

Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #14
sdipirro
Goldmember

I haven't tried LR 2.0 BETA yet. I'll look into that. Thanks again.
Old 13th of June 2008 (Fri)   #15
Shooting

Excuse me Mike, first I shoot jpeg..I prefer letting my camera do it..2nd. you don't have to be so insulting. Click on FILE and you see nothing that says export..you see save and save as...LR has an export..PS says SAVE AS......you do things your way I do them mine..neither way is dumb...typical of this board....I can tell right now it won't be long until I leave it.
Shooting is offline   Reply With Quote