Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #1
michael_
Goldmember

Default remote camera setup examples anyone?

ive got a gig in a few months and it will require the use of a remote camera setup to get as many shots as possible (its a car rally), i have the basic idea but wouldnt mind seeing others setups and eq and accessories required.

I have the following

2 x MarkIIIs
3 x PW IIs

will be getting one of these http://www.overxposed.com/oxproplatform.html for the remote camera

now what other eq/accessories/cords wll i need to remotely trigger the 2nd camera either when i fire the main camera ie the same time or a few seconds later, ie i might be standing 100m away from the remote camera and want it to trigger as the vehicle goes past not 100m away or visa versa.

i am of the impression setting the remote camera to manual focus at fairly narrow apertureand or based on the hyoerfocal distance figures.

any help, links images would be great.

Last edited by michael_ : 15th of June 2008 (Sun) at 01:49.
michael_ is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #2
michael_
Goldmember

Default Re: remote camera setup examples anyone?

interesting
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #3
Dan Lorth

I have heard, and mind you this is what I have heard, but I have heard that the PW IIs dont fire in continuous burst when used as a remote. It does fire single frames but does not work with continuous drive. You are on the right track with the base and the equipment, but it sounds like you should invest in some multimaxes to get what you want to do (drive mode and enable firing a few seconds after your main). Good luck, Id love to see the results if possible. I love remote cameras and Im very interested in them.
Dan Lorth is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #4
PacAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Lorth View Post
I have heard, and mind you this is what I have heard, but I have heard that the PW IIs dont fire in continuous burst when used as a remote. It does fire single frames but does not work with continuous drive. You are on the right track with the base and the equipment, but it sounds like you should invest in some multimaxes to get what you want to do (drive mode and enable firing a few seconds after your main). Good luck, Id love to see the results if possible. I love remote cameras and Im very interested in them.
The reason the PW II (and the MutliMax for that matter) can not fire in continuous burst mode is not because they can't do it (because then can) but because the main camera triggering the remote camera is firing the transmitter in single shot mode (remember, the thing that's triggering the transmitter is the sync signal from the camera, the same signal which is used to fire a flash. If you pressed and held down the Test button on the transmitter, the remote camera will fire in burst mode as long as you keep the Test button held down (and assuming that the remote camera is in continuous frame mode).
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #5
PacAce

Quote:
Originally Posted by CIDER View Post
ive got a gig in a few months and it will require the use of a remote camera setup to get as many shots as possible (its a car rally), i have the basic idea but wouldnt mind seeing others setups and eq and accessories required.

I have the following

2 x MarkIIIs
3 x PW IIs

will be getting one of these http://www.overxposed.com/oxproplatform.html for the remote camera

now what other eq/accessories/cords wll i need to remotely trigger the 2nd camera either when i fire the main camera ie the same time or a few seconds later, ie i might be standing 100m away from the remote camera and want it to trigger as the vehicle goes past not 100m away or visa versa.

i am of the impression setting the remote camera to manual focus at fairly narrow apertureand or based on the hyoerfocal distance figures.

any help, links images would be great.
I'm not exactly sure what kind of info you're looking for other than what you've already mentioned. What you posted is basically what I would do, too.

The only comment I can add relates to your desire to fire the remote camera after a delay of a few seconds. Unfortunately, that will not be possible with just the PW Plus II units. You'll need at least one MultiMax to serve as either a transmitter or a receiver in order the program in the delay time you want.

I'm assuming the you already have a remote release cable to connect the PW unit to the remote camera. If not, that's one of the key components required to make remote shooting possible.
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #6
Dan Lorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce View Post
The reason the PW II (and the MutliMax for that matter) can not fire in continuous burst mode is not because they can't do it (because then can) but because the main camera triggering the remote camera is firing the transmitter in single shot mode (remember, the thing that's triggering the transmitter is the sync signal from the camera, the same signal which is used to fire a flash. If you pressed and held down the Test button on the transmitter, the remote camera will fire in burst mode as long as you keep the Test button held down (and assuming that the remote camera is in continuous frame mode).
thank you for the correction!
Dan Lorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #7
michael_
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacAce View Post
I'm not exactly sure what kind of info you're looking for other than what you've already mentioned. What you posted is basically what I would do, too.

The only comment I can add relates to your desire to fire the remote camera after a delay of a few seconds. Unfortunately, that will not be possible with just the PW Plus II units. You'll need at least one MultiMax to serve as either a transmitter or a receiver in order the program in the delay time you want.

I'm assuming the you already have a remote release cable to connect the PW unit to the remote camera. If not, that's one of the key components required to make remote shooting possible.
i dont have the cable, there seem to be a few different options on the PW site, so the only thing i can do with just the PWIIs is have the remote camera fire at the same time as the main camera?
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #8
PacAce

Quote:
i dont have the cable, there seem to be a few different options on the PW site, so the only thing i can do with just the PWIIs is have the remote camera fire at the same time as the main camera?
Yes, assuming that you have the remote release cable, with the PW Plus II units you will only be able to fire the remote camera at the same time the main camera fires off a shot.
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #9
michael_
Goldmember

so which do i need?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=198050&is=REG

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=198049&is=REG

and is that all? then at a multimax to trigger seperately
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #10
PhotosGuy

There might be something helpful in the "Similar Threads" links at the bottom-left of this page, too.

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #11
PacAce

Quote:
so which do i need?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=198050&is=REG

or

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...=198049&is=REG

and is that all? then at a multimax to trigger seperately
You need the second one (the one with the N3 terminal on it) or something similar from another source.
Old 15th of June 2008 (Sun)   #12
michael_
Goldmember

cheers frank and leo

frank i tried searching before i started the thread and nothig cae up, weird.
Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #13
PhotosGuy

Quote:
i tried searching before i started the thread and nothig cae up,
Advanced search?

If you do a "Advanced" forum KEYWORD search in "Search Titles Only" for KEYWORD(s), you will find a lot of help.
Be sure and select the relevant area in the Search in Forum(s) fields.

If you do a "Advanced" forum KEYWORD search in "Search Titles Only" for a phrase in "KEYWORD(s)" with the quotes if it's a logical progression of words, (like +"depth of field") you will find a lot of help. This will put the threads that contain both at the top of the list, with threads that have one word or the other lower down.

Try it without the quotes for less related things like quartz temperature

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #14
johnms88

Could you just hold the PW and hold down the test button when you wanted the shot? Sorry, but that seems too obvious for it to actually work...lol.
Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #15
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005

This actually makes sense, but in reality remote still works on 8fps even when PW is set in hotshoe of handhold camera. It might send trigger signals one by one, but main point is, that it works