Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #1
thaking

Default Help with exposing

Long time reader, first time poster...

I have read about using multiple images so that you can combine them into one image, like hdr...in many of these discussions they talk about exposing the sky properly in one image and exposing for the rest in another...I had borrowed a friends 16-35L and went to a going away party that was outside, under a shelter...of course there were shadows all over their faces...I could not figure out how to expose for the shadows...all the images seem to be exposed for the sunlight...

How would I properly expose for the shadowed areas?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated...
thaking is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #2
kniteshade

Default Re: Help with exposing

If the rest of the image looked correct (exposure-wise), but you just had shadows on the faces, then what you probably want is fill-flash.

If the entire image was too-dark, then try the different metering modes. Spot meter on a face if the camera supports it, or try partial metering. The * button on the camera (by default) is the AE-Lock button, so you point the camera at what you want exposed correctly then lock the exposure, recompose, then take the photo.

Another solution is to use exposure-bracketing to take 3 shots, and hope one of them is correct.
kniteshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2008 (Mon)   #3
Souwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kniteshade View Post
The * button on the camera (by default) is the AE-Lock button, so you point the camera at what you want exposed correctly then lock the exposure, recompose, then take the photo.

Even the 40D?
Pat
Souwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #4
kniteshade

Im pretty sure that what the * icon represents on the canons (AE lock)

From the 40D review on dpreview:

Quote:
* AE / FE Lock
Press to trigger automatic exposure and lock the exposure for the next shot. Hold the button to lock the exposure for more than one shot.
kniteshade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #5
PhotosGuy

Posting an image for us to see would help a lot. It's also hard to give an answer as I don't know how much you're willing to learn.
Quote:
..all the images seem to be exposed for the sunlight...
Here's why: Post #47

My solution: Try manual in those tough conditions. First set the f-stop & shutter speed you need. Then adjust the ISO. Need an exposure crutch?

Other results: Angeline outdoors

Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?

New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.
PhotosGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #6
thaking

I knew I should've posted a sample

I took the photos off the card last night and only got a glance at them, posted my question and went to bed. I'll definitely post a sample later as this is something I've struggled with for a while...thanks for the assistance...
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #7
lilpacheco

Are you working in the auto mode? That might explain it because you don't have much control with that. I suggest shooting in AV or manual (if don't know how to use these I suggest buying a book or research on the internet) and turning on your flash for fill flash. If you are still getting shadows on faces, pump up the flash for more light to fill in the shadows. Also shoot in RAW and that can add some light to faces after the fact as well (in PP).

lilpacheco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #8
OdiN1701
User is banned from forums

Heh....just imagine reading the thread title on any forum other than a photography forum :P
OdiN1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #9
chauncey
Cream of the Crop

Andrew is a very bad boy.
chauncey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th of June 2008 (Tue)   #10
thaking

ok, here is a quick photo sample...no PP, just resized....shot RAW Av, used center AF, AWB, ISO 100....i focused the subject and i assumed that since i was focusing on a subject in the shaded area, the WB would be adjusted as so, but maybe i'm not correct....i know i need a flash, planning on getting one but don't have one at the moment...

@OdiN1701: i thought the same thing about my title after i searched for it today to see what responses i've received...couldn't i come up with a better title?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg doc_walker1.jpg (61.2 KB, 175 views)
Old 18th of June 2008 (Wed)   #11
PhotosGuy

Quote:
but maybe i'm not correct...
The WB looks OK. It's the metering that did you in & the links I gave you should help.
Quote:
just resized....shot RAW
You should be able to pull better detail out of a RAW file.

Old 18th of June 2008 (Wed)   #12
thaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotosGuy View Post
The WB looks OK. It's the metering that did you in & the links I gave you should help. You should be able to pull better detail out of a RAW file.
that's why i shoot raw, but i was hoping to do take better shots, thus reducing PP...after reading post #47 (linked above) let me see if i understand this correctly...it says "where you point the camera influences the meter reading"...when i focused the shot i focused on the female looking towards the camera laughing...then i repositioned the camera (raised it higher, thus bringing in more light)...do you think this is what caused my issue? meaning, even though i initially took my reading on her, because i recentered the camera allowing more light, the camera adjusted and thus they are darker...

if that is true, then i will go back to my original question - if i want to combine 2 images where one is exposed for the sky and one for the foreground, then what is the correct way to do this? take my sample image for example...if i could do it over (2 shots, 1 for the sky and 1 for their faces) how should i do it?
Old 18th of June 2008 (Wed)   #13
SkipD
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaking View Post
ok, here is a quick photo sample...no PP, just resized....shot RAW Av, used center AF, AWB, ISO 100....i focused the subject and i assumed that since i was focusing on a subject in the shaded area, the WB would be adjusted as so, but maybe i'm not correct....i know i need a flash, planning on getting one but don't have one at the moment...

@OdiN1701: i thought the same thing about my title after i searched for it today to see what responses i've received...couldn't i come up with a better title?
You could probably not use HDR in a situation like the shot you posted. It's quite likely that there would be too much subject motion between shots to be able to properly overlay the images.

A good flash unit (NOT a flash built into a camera) would go a long way toward making that sort of shot much better.
SkipD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of June 2008 (Wed)   #14
thaking

thanks SkipD...yeah i am planning on buying a 430 ex soon, just don't have one yet...also, i was not wanting to use the posted pic as an HDR, all i was saying was to use this as an example - top portion (sky) is bright, bottom portion (foreground) is darker...how to properly expose for both...some have suggested taking 2 shots and combining them...to do that, i would need to properly expose for the sky and properly expose for the foreground...if i understood how to do that, then i would understand how to retake the photo above and expose it properly...

hopefully that makes sense....
Old 19th of June 2008 (Thu)   #15
PhotosGuy

Quote:
then i repositioned the camera (raised it higher, thus bringing in more light)...do you think this is what caused my issue?
Yes.
Quote:
if i want to combine 2 images where one is exposed for the sky and one for the foreground, then what is the correct way to do this?
Tripod, BUT you can't expect that she won't move, so I'd make two different conversions in RAW & blend them.
Easier for you would be to use the mask in an Adjustment Layer if you have PS.

Post #9:
Airport runway shoot

Simplest, would be to expose for her & let the sky blow out, or find an angle where you don't see the sky at all.

Last edited by PhotosGuy : 19th of June 2008 (Thu) at 10:47.