Thread started 22 Jun 2008 (Sunday) 00:31   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

skifurthur
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
Living in his Nowhere Land
[MORE/SHARE]

I had the pleasure of visiting John on his home turf of Penn's Peak in Jim Thorpe, PA Thursday night and introducing him to some old friends of mine, Phil Lesh & Friends. It was a blast comparing notes, sharing coffee and watching the show...both on and off the stage.

Lucky for both of us, Phil put on one of the best shows ever...and it was in one of the nicest venues I have had the pleasure of visiting. Top notch staff, excellent acoustics, great musicmanship and a stellar location all combined to make it a memorable night.

I only hope our photos give you a taste of what went down on stage that night....As always, critique and comments are very much welcome.

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7632.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7665.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7678.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7700.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7710.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7790.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_7889.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.amsaddler.com/canon/2008_06_19_Lesh/IMG_8006.jpg

Post #1, Jun 22, 2008 00:31:08

www.amsaddler.comexternal link
Capturing the passion of performance

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
jmintz
Joined Feb 2007
68 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Great shots - who's the female vocalist...is that someone that's touring with him? I didn't know there were any female on the road w/ him since Joan.

Post #2, Jun 22, 2008 09:45:45

Josh Mintz: http://www.photosbyjos​h.comexternal link
5D mk II + BG-E6 | 5D + BG-E4 | 15mm f/2.8 fishy | 16-35mm f/2.8L | 50mm f/1.4 | 100mm f/2.0 | 70-200mm f/2.8L IS | 430EX | Lots of bags, tripod, monopod, some filters, other assorted stuff that clutters up my office.

skifurthur
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

jmintz wrote in post #5769409external link
Great shots - who's the female vocalist...is that someone that's touring with him? I didn't know there were any female on the road w/ him since Joan.

That is Teresa Williams, who is Larry Campbell's wife. She and Larry are in Levon Helm's band and Levon is opening many of Phil's tour dates this summer. Previously she has been helping out when Phil has done an acoustic set...this night was her first electric band debute.

Post #3, Jun 22, 2008 09:57:55

The "simple and sweet" equipment list: 40D, 7D, 300 f/2.8 IS L, 200mm f/2.0 IS L, 70-200 f/2.8 IS L MkII, 17-55 f/2.8 IS, Canon 1.4 extender

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,645 posts
Poconos, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You managed to capture some great shots...

Intermittently, the lighting was just good/great enough to get those perfect looking pics... So I must say your ability to read the light is real good...

When I shot these similar moments, the red lighting must have been kicking in and it showed up often in my post processing...

That's the *thing* about Penn's Peak... Those custom lights designed by the ownership are used proficiently by the lighting engineer... and he only cuts the photographer an occasional break... If one is not paying attention, the opportunity would be missed ... That opportunity is given only a few times during the show...

I think we did good for what we had to work with.

Post #4, Jun 22, 2008 11:16:30

John Stoy

www.poconophotos.comexternal link
My Gear List
"Are you only Looking or actually Seeing", from Microbiology 101.

skifurthur
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined May 2007
1,292 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

johnstoy wrote in post #5769818external link
You managed to capture some great shots...

Intermittently, the lighting was just good/great enough to get those perfect looking pics... So I must say your ability to read the light is real good...

When I shot these similar moments, the red lighting must have been kicking in and it showed up often in my post processing...

That's the *thing* about Penn's Peak... Those custom lights designed by the ownership are used proficiently by the lighting engenier... and he only cuts the photographer an occasional break... If one is not paying attention, the opportunity would be missed ... That opportunity is given only a few times during the show...

I think we did good for what we had to work with.

'tis the life of a concert photographer...we always have to make do with what we get. Nobody said it would be easy.

Post #5, Jun 22, 2008 22:02:47

sponsored links
thelightofsound
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2006
1,399 posts
Atlanta
[MORE/SHARE]

nice job. you have a very well rounded set here. you did seem to hit the better colors than john. and speaking of lights, i hear that candice is now doing phil's tour; is this true? i was so upset to hear she left panic. i love her work.

Post #6, Jun 23, 2008 13:19:27 as a reply to skifurthur's post 15 hours earlier.

--atlanta photographer michael sabaexternal link - music photographyexternal link

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,645 posts
Poconos, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Mike, I agree with you on Ski's results... We were positioned in different spots... However, we both were blocked by music stands an microphones... After a while, Ski started roaming and shooting wherever he could see the stage from...

Soon after, I followed... We were the only photo pros on the scene... and with no photo pit (Penn's Peak does not put them up,) we had to make do with what we had.

Post #7, Jun 24, 2008 08:15:37

John Stoy

My Gear List

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
Joined Feb 2005
21,313 posts
Buellton, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, so John's shooting again and teaching Ski all the stuff I failed to convey! Great set none-the-less.

Post #8, Jun 24, 2008 21:31:58

Dwight McCann
Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio
How I Got Into This Businesshttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13157388#post13​157388

narlus
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2006
7,570 posts
North Andover, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

cool to see shots from 2 different shooters from the same show. john, looks like you had stripped yr EXIF out...would have fun to compare exposures for both of you.

the lighting here looks to be rather dull; i hate the red/blue/magenta cans, and would probably just b/w the whole set (though 2 and 5 look pretty good). weird that the drummer wasn't on a riser.

Post #9, Jun 25, 2008 22:15:37

www.tinnitus-photography.comexternal link
Facebook linkexternal link

gear list

DwightMcCann
so, what are we talking about?
Joined Feb 2005
21,313 posts
Buellton, California, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, but now I want to see Ski's picture of John!

Post #10, Jun 26, 2008 14:50:37

Dwight McCann
Websiteexternal link - Facebookexternal link
Gear List - Concert FAQ - My Small Studio
How I Got Into This Businesshttp://photography-on-the.net ...p?p=13157388#post13​157388

johnstoy
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2006
6,645 posts
Poconos, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

DwightMcCann wrote in post #5786299external link
Well, so John's shooting again and teaching Ski all the stuff I failed to convey! Great set none-the-less.

Ski does have it together... He has his routine down pat, and picking something up along the way, doesn't hurt... He's open minded...

I do want to try his pattern metering method sometime... cause my spot metering on the face, was underexposing the rest of the musician.

narlus wrote in post #5793469external link
cool to see shots from 2 different shooters from the same show. john, looks like you had stripped yr EXIF out...would have fun to compare exposures for both of you.

the lighting here looks to be rather dull; i hate the red/blue/magenta cans, and would probably just b/w the whole set (though 2 and 5 look pretty good). weird that the drummer wasn't on a riser.

Narlus, I posted the EXIF printed out "longhand" in my thread from this show... You're right about the lights... The "big" spot lights weren't used... probably cause of the heat they give off and the totally full house we had... I don't think our regular lighting maestro was at the controls... and I found the lights to offer few real good opportunities to get solid shots.

DwightMcCann wrote in post #5797763external link
Yeah, but now I want to see Ski's picture of John!

I wonder if he did get a pic of me... He was using the short lens, when he would have had a better chance to get me... So it's unlikely.

Post #11, Jun 27, 2008 18:57:38

John Stoy

My Gear List

sponsored links

LIST NEARBY THREADS
863 views & 0 likes for this thread
johnstoy and I DOUBLE TEAM Phil Lesh & Friends 6/19/08 Penn's Peak, PA
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Performing Arts

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES