Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 Jan 2005 (Saturday) 13:29
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

STICKY: -=Photography Tips and Tutorials List=-

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
47,544 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Rhode Island USA
Jan 01, 2005 13:29 |  #1

I can't seem to locate the old master sticky list, so I'm putting together a new one.

The format here is the same as Post Processing Tutorial list.. post a LINK to a thread containing your discussion-tutorial or tips.

The POTN Wildlife Photography Tips Thread

Landscape Tips Thread!

Are you shooting HAMSTTR? ( Exposing and Iso to the right)

Exposing to the Right. An example

A Water Drop Tutorial

Photography Basics - Books & Links

Please add more links.. or PM me if you would like me to add some to this post.

REMINDER Like all of the "info stickies" on the forum,. this thread is for posting of links to informational threads and tutorials etc.. Any discussion in these "info sticky" threads are subject to editing or deletion.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

sponsored links
gjenkin
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2005
Jan 08, 2005 13:31 |  #2

Jodie Coston's Online Photography Course
http://www.morguefile.​com/archive/classroom.​phpexternal link

PhotosGuy
74,610 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Feb 2004
Middle of Michigan
Post has been edited over 2 years ago by PhotosGuy.
Jan 16, 2005 21:58 |  #3

Gray card: Why your meter may be lying to you!
I found something that I didn't expect!
(Updated w/pic & info 2/7/05)

Gray Card…White Paper. What’s best?
[COLOR=Black]What’s best for exposure, Gray cards, white paper, expensive attachments for the lens?
Need an exposure crutch?

Don’t have a gray or white card, or hand held meter with you? “Film tricks” can help you out.

Some personal views on sensor cleaning.
Maybe just once in a while is enough.

Firebirds! On shooting fireworks...

I hope I didn't forget anything! :D

ShootSmarter Tutorials & Info.external link
LOTs of good info here! You'll need to sign up (free).
Some subjects covered are:
Facemask Histograms
Suzette Allen PS Tutorials
sRGB vs. AdobeRGB
Digital Exposure Tolerance
Jim Tweedie on Digital Wedding, Portrait, On-Cam Flash + Raw File Converters are not Created Equal
Portrait Patter: look at the psychology employed
Painless Color Management
Monitor Profiling Tips
Flashmeter Comparisons

Notice the background changes when you change the "Shutter and Aperture" settings!
Virtual Cameraexternal link
Sim Camexternal link

See how an image looks when you change the focus: http://www.lytro.com/l​iving-pictures/277external link
The lytro

Photoshop Mini-Tutorialsexternal link
Tip 1: Check your image's profile
Tip 2: A 100% crop
Tip 3: About the Hue slider
Tip 4: Taking colour-managed screenshots (PC)

Way too "cute", but this might be a video to watch if you have patience with "Creative" editing: 101 PS shortcuts in 5 minutesexternal link

How do you set a custom white balance

Actually, it doesn't inside: Auto White Balance - works really well

FrankC - 20D, RAW, Manual everything...
Classic Carz, Racing, Air Show, Flowers.
Find the light... A few Car Lighting Tips, and MOVE YOUR FEET!
Have you thought about making your own book? // Need an exposure crutch?
New Image Size Limits: Image must not exceed 1280 pixels on any side.

gary_hendricks
62 posts
Joined Dec 2004
Singapore
Feb 12, 2005 09:04 |  #4

I've just created a new tutorial about how to buy a digital camera.

Tutorial: How to Buy a Digital Camera

Gary Hendricks
Basic-Digital-Photography.comexternal link

Curtis ­ N
Master Flasher
19,129 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Northern Illinois, US
Jul 19, 2005 01:27 |  #5

Examples of why you can't trust your camera's meter, regardless of metering mode.

Excel-based depth-of-field calculator plus extrasexternal linkUse to make your own DOF charts, print customized flash distance guides, plus an exposure equivalent calculator.
96kb Excel file (free download)
Go to this thread to post questions, comments and suggestions.

How NOT to expose to the right
An example of why this technique should be used with caution.

Limitations of Fluorescent Lighting
Why it's a problem and how to deal with it

"If you're not having fun, your pictures will reflect that." - Joe McNally
Chicago area POTN eventsexternal link
Flash Photography 101 | The EOS Flash Bible external link| Techniques for Better On-Camera Flashexternal link | How to Use Flash Outdoors| Excel-based DOF Calculatorexternal link

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Spotsylvania Co., VA
Nov 15, 2005 08:21 as a reply to Curtis N's post |  #6

Gray Card fpr Exposure and White Balance
For a better understanding of how the "Gray Card" is used in photography go to my web site for the document GrayCardTutorial in either the html form or as a pdf file:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/GrayCardTutoria​l.htmexternal link
You will find "How To" information for both exposure control and white balance control.

Elements of Composition
I have placed a document called "Elements of Good Composition" at my Web site. It's a "work in progress", and I expect to update it periodically as I become more organized about the subject. I welcome any suggestions you might have for inclusion in these "elements". These are the criteria that I use in critiquing images, whether they be oil paintings or photographs.
If you are interested, check out the current HTML version here:
http://www.zaffora.com ...ementsGoodCompositi​on.htmexternal link

RAW PROCESSING
I have posted a document at my Web Site that explains how Adobe Camera RAW works (version 2.4 plug-in).

If you have never shot in RAW format before and you want to get an idea of what RAW processing is all about, this will interest you.

If you are a more experience RAW shooter who has had difficulty recovering highlight details from over-exposed images, this paper will not only interest you, it may also give you better insight into what can and cannot be recovered and why, as well as some techniques for getting the most out of given RAW image.

The PDF version of the document may be downloaded from here:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/RAWProcessing.p​dfexternal link

Thank you for your interest, and please let me know of your questions or corrections.

Portrait Lighting

I have recently found myself trying to make the same points over and over on one thread after another in regard to Studio Portraiture.

Therefore, in order to get all of the issues relating to setting up a two-light portraiture configuration and adjusting those lights for optimum realism, 3-dimensionality and depth, I decided to put it all together in one document with pictures that show you how to do it and what the results should look like.

If you are interested in Studio portraiture, you will find the HTML version at:

http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/PortraitLightin​g.htmexternal link

and the PDF version at:

http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/PortraitLightin​g.pdfexternal link

As usual, please let me know of any questions or corrections.

Thank you,

Step-by-Step Tutorial on How to Use "Merge to HDR" in PSCS2
[Revised 26 April 2006]

Step-by-step Tutorial on "Merge to HDR"
Now available at the following Web site:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/UsingHDR.htmexternal link
or as a downloadable PDF:
http://www.zaffora.com​/W9DMK/UsingHDR.pdfexternal link

Bob
Quality of Lightexternal link, Photo Tool ver 2.0external link
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Spotsylvania Co., VA
Dec 30, 2005 12:16 |  #7

Color Management Policies
For users of PSCS versions 8.0 and 9.0, Color Management can be confusing.

In the interests of getting a better understanding of what actually goes on in PS Color Management, we look closely at the "Edit->Color Settings" dialog and ask ourselves the question, "How would I get into a situation where this choice becomes important?", or, in short, "How did I get here?".

Note the three points in the Color Settings Dialog that we have marked as "A", "B", and "C". These three points and the specific configuraion that we have set up as an example, will cover the majority of Color Management situations that can be confusing.

Paragraphs "A", "B", and "C" will describe the circumstances in which the Color Management policies apply.

Please note that this configuration is not a recommendation - it is a reasonable configuration that was put together just for this exercise.

A - Color Management Policies (RGB)

"Working Spaces, RGB" shows your choice of RGB working space.

Any circumstance that raises the issue of how to deal with an image having a different working space (different than sRGB) will bring you to this point.

Examples are:
(1) Opening an image that has an embedded color profile other than sRGB.
(2) Opening an image that has no embedded color profile.

Due to the fact that our chosen policy is to "Preserve Embedded Profiles, case A(1) is resolved by immediately opening the document using its embedded profile.

Due to the fact that the checkbox, "Missing Profiles: |X| Ask When Opening", is checked, case A(2) is resolved by prompting the user to choose beteween 1) open the file without color management, or 2) assign the current RGB working space, or 3) assign an RGB profile from the "pick-list".

B - Color Management Policies (CMYK)

"Working Spaces, CMYK" shows your choice of CMYK working space.

Any circumstance that raises the issue of how to deal with an image having a different working space (different than U.S. Web Coated) will bring you to this point.

Examples are:
(1) Opening an image that has a CMYK embedded color profile other than "U.S. Web Coated".
(2) Opening an image that has no embedded color profile.

Due to the fact that our chosen policy is to "Convert to Working CMYK Working Profile, case B(1) is resolved by immediately opening the document using the CMYK Working Profile (U.S. Web Coated).

Due to the fact that the checkbox, "Missing Profiles: |X| Ask When Opening", is checked, case B(2) is resolved by prompting the user to choose beteween 1) open the file without color management, or 2) assign the current RGB working space, or 3) assign a profile from the "pick-list".

Note that all three options are confined to RGB profiles. So, this is not the place to try to assign a CMYK profile. That should normally be done after working with an image in RGB and then doing the conversion with "Edit->Convert to Profile".

[You may have noticed that the circumstances for getting to either point A or B are very similar.]

C - The checkbox, "Missing Profiles |X| Ask When Opening"

In "A" and "B" above we have already made it quite clear that when the "Missing Profiles" checkbox is checked, it allows the user to correct for the missing profile by assigning an RGB profile, only.

Upon examining the list of profiles in the "pick-list", you will find all the expected RGB profiles, including Epson devices that operate in RGB.

Unfortunately, if the file being opened does not have an embedded profile, there is no way at this point to "assign" or "convert to" a CMYK profile. If that situation arises, it is best to open the image with an assigned RGB profile, do your editing and then convert to CMYK, as was indicated in paragraph "B" above.

Any corrections or suggestion for this tutorial are welcome!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Bob
Canon Rebel XTi; EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-f/5.6 USM; EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-f/5.6; EF 28-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM; EF 50mm f/1.4 USM; Canon Powershot G5; Canon AE1(2); Leica R4s; Battery Grip BG-E3; Pentax Digital Spotmeter with Zone VI Mod & Calibration.

Robert_Lay
Cream of the Crop
7,546 posts
Joined Jul 2005
Spotsylvania Co., VA
Dec 31, 2005 20:30 as a reply to post 1038828 |  #8

PhotosGuy wrote:
Another good one, Robert. Maybe you could put that in a Post Processing sticky?
Since most people here won't be doing commercial CMYK printing, is there any reason to choose that working space?
EDOT: Oh, wait! This IS one, isn't it? :D

Not sure what you wanted me to do, so I put another one under Post Processing :D

In regard to CMYK, I only put an entry there for completeness. In this context, I am only trying to present a simpler view of the overall Color Management concept than what I usually find in the expensive books.

Bob

BBC
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2006
Jun 14, 2006 02:23 as a reply to post 1040352 |  #9

Thanks all for the these valuable materials.

nevilleb
195 posts
Joined Jun 2005
Bombay, India
Sep 30, 2006 12:32 |  #10

Just posted an article on photographing sunsets and sunrises here:

I've just posted an article on how to make photos of sunsets and sunrises on photosig. I'm sured it's nothing new to the gurus out here, but may make interesting reading nevertheless.

The link is : http://www.photosig.co​m/articles/1538/articl​eexternal link

nevilleb

Neville Bulsara
Photography Workshops, Photo Tours & Expeditions to India for the Discerning Photographerexternal link

cbc
Hatchling
4 posts
Joined Oct 2006
Dec 07, 2006 15:57 |  #11

Here is a video tutorial on how to read the histogram - makes it very easy to understand!

the link: http://colorbalancecoa​ch.blogspot.com/external link

fWord
Goldmember
2,637 posts
Joined Jan 2006
Melbourne, Australia
May 05, 2007 03:08 as a reply to post 2838012 |  #12

Night Photography Tutorial: Basics and Minutiaeexternal link

LightWorks Portfolioexternal link
Night Photography Tutorial: Basics & Minutiaeexternal link
Gear List (Past & Present)
The Art of Composition IS the Art of Photography.

rammy
Goldmember
3,189 posts
Joined Oct 2004
London, England
May 23, 2007 13:46 |  #13

Lee Graduated and Neutral Density Filters
- A demo of the .3 (1 stop), .6 (2 stop) and .9 (3 stop) HARD and SOFT grad filters.
- Also includes the .3, .6 and .9 ND Filters.
- Some discussion on Cokin vs. Lee filters.

Ansel Adams type of Mountains
- Steps on how to get shadow and contrast impact in your B&W images.

Setup and taking Panorama Images
- Setup your camera and take pano pics. Read full thread here.

Step by step guide on taking panorama images, with examples.external link
- Things to remember and avoid when taking a panorama picture for stitching. Includes technique and camera settings. Examples included.

Night time photography technique, with examples.external link
- Includes technique and camera settings. Examples included, as well a sequence of photos as it gets darker.

Gear | Surrey Wedding Photographerexternal link | Surrey Wedding Photographer Blogexternal link | London Architecture Photographerexternal link

myonlyphoto
31 posts
Joined Aug 2007
Aurora, Ontario, Canada
Aug 24, 2007 22:15 as a reply to rammy's post |  #14

I have small instructions for
How To Take Photos of the Moonexternal link

EDIT by PhotosGuy: Another thread: Shooting the moon

Manila Moon at 1120 mm (large pic)
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=119572

Moon shot with 350D & standard kit
http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=129558

I got so many photos, that I had to create my photo blog: MyOnlyPhoto Blogexternal link
Latest post: Match my face to my blog, check it out.

Kadath
Right, Manage This Digit!
1,642 posts
Joined Feb 2004
Navesink, NJ
May 06, 2008 15:35 |  #15

Found a great new photo tutorial site, I like the way this guy works:
http://www.tutorial9.n​et ...-of-field-in-photography/external link

Here's all his photo tuts so far:
http://www.tutorial9.n​et/category/photograph​y/external link

And ones on photoshop:
http://www.tutorial9.n​et/category/photoshop/external link

Canon 20D, Nikon D300 & assorted stuff...
Kadath @ Flickrexternal link -- Hell, its a regular Dream-Quest... A "Digital American Walkabout" -- My Blog at Navesink.Netexternal link
Have you submitted shots to the official POTN Flickr Poolexternal link Lately?

sponsored links

173,888 views & 0 likes for this thread
-=Photography Tips and Tutorials List=-
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.